Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

1 hour ago, stillalivetui said:

Sounds like nonsense to me. Did you email them inquiring about your application?

I did, just thought this response might be interesting for people who are also waiting to hear from them

54 minutes ago, archersline said:

If I recall correctly, you were waiting from an offer from UCLA, did you get good news from them?

I haven't heard from them, unfortunately (maybe this week?).  However, I did get into my second choice institution, so I can comfortably turn down my other offers. 

21 minutes ago, emmabear said:

I did, just thought this response might be interesting for people who are also waiting to hear from them

Absolutely. Thanks for sharing that. I'm also waiting on UCSD--however, at this point, I question the veracity of their response.  

14 minutes ago, stillalivetui said:

Absolutely. Thanks for sharing that. I'm also waiting on UCSD--however, at this point, I question the veracity of their response.  

I agree. Before asking the Graduate Admissions I actually emailed the program grad coordinator last week - no response from her as always

6 minutes ago, emmabear said:

I agree. Before asking the Graduate Admissions I actually emailed the program grad coordinator last week - no response from her as always

I feel like most graduate advisers have gone into hiding at this point...

12 minutes ago, archersline said:

I feel like most graduate advisers have gone into hiding at this point...

Just this one has been unresponsive from the very beginning;( Never replied to my emails.

2 hours ago, TiredAndAnxious said:

Anyone with updates on Georgetown? I saw some acceptances on the board but I'm wondering if anyone has some more details (interviewed in late January and still haven't heard back)

I received an unofficial offer of admission on Friday from a faculty member and an official letter with rough details about funding and prospective student day on Saturday. My first email mentioned that the grad committee met on Friday. I'm not sure if all offers went out over the weekend or not. I study modern US foreign relaions, btw. Also, they didn't contact me for an interview in advance. Maybe interviews are at the discretion of the faculty. 

8 minutes ago, HAPPYDuck said:

I got an email from University of Washington's financial aid office informing me that they have received my application. Could this possibly mean anything?

I don't know that I would...some schools have issues. That being said, hope for the best! 

On 2/16/2016 at 9:25 AM, mvlchicago said:

I went through one rejection from Brown before I ended up here. It probably sucks right now, but I promise it probably had more to do with the political discussions on the admissions committee than your value as a potential student here. Feel free to reach out as you think about next year :)

Thank you, mvlchicago. I appreciate your words. I will definitely be applying to more PhD programs next year, and will keep your offer in mind. On the bright side, my grad advisor recommended I speak with the department chair to throw my name in the hat for potential adjuncting positons for next fall, as he feels I would be good at it. So, that was a bright spot :)

On February 3, 2016 at 11:00 PM, bookinsomnia said:

Hi, I am a long time lurker. I got the call yesterday from the Director of Graduate Studies at University of Washington saying I was accepted. I am a little embarrassed about how inarticulate I was on the phone, but she was really nice about it and assured me she remembered what her first acceptance felt like. 

Congrats! I am still waiting to hear their decision. Would you happen to know if the Director of Graduate Studies calls all people who are admitted? I am wondering if I should assume a rejection by now.

12 minutes ago, HAPPYDuck said:

Congrats! I am still waiting to hear their decision. Would you happen to know if the Director of Graduate Studies calls all people who are admitted? I am wondering if I should assume a rejection by now.

I'm in the same boat as you with William and Mary. To preserve my sanity I have decided to assume I have been rejected, and should anything materialize later it is a bonus. 

2 hours ago, HAPPYDuck said:

I got an email from University of Washington's financial aid office informing me that they have received my application. Could this possibly mean anything?

Are you applying for the MA or PhD? On the history department's website, under the funding tab it says:

"Prospective students:  All applicants for admission are considered for the Department aid for which they are eligible.  A separate application for Departmental funding is not required, although we encourage applicants to simultaneously apply for external fellowships (e.g., Foreign Language and Area Studies) for which they may be eligible."

Maybe it's a good sign?

6 minutes ago, Ephemera said:

Are you applying for the MA or PhD? On the history department's website, under the funding tab it says:

"Prospective students:  All applicants for admission are considered for the Department aid for which they are eligible.  A separate application for Departmental funding is not required, although we encourage applicants to simultaneously apply for external fellowships (e.g., Foreign Language and Area Studies) for which they may be eligible."

Maybe it's a good sign?

I applied for the PhD. I was wondering if anyone else had gotten an email from financial aid because if everyone else did as well, then it wouldn't mean anything. Did you?

Just now, HAPPYDuck said:

I applied for the PhD. I was wondering if anyone else had gotten an email from financial aid because if everyone else did as well, then it wouldn't mean anything. Did you?

They've already turned me down, so I would bet you're on the right track! I never got an email about financial aid.

1 hour ago, HAPPYDuck said:

From what I understand all the acceptances have been sent out either by phone or by email, and we have all been invited for a recruitment day on March 11th. There were only ten positions this year, so the competition was very high. That being said, I have been told by the department that there is a wait list and those accepted have been ask to turn down their offer if they  know that they are not going to take it in consideration for those wait-listed.

I've submitted a relatively late application (but not past the deadline) that a couple POIs at the school seem to be genuinely interested in, but I feel that this clip pretty much sums up my feelings about waiting for rejections from the rest of the programmes I've applied to.  I'm not looking forward to waiting into April again for bad news from the other schools: 

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from Ohio State?  It's one of the only places (along with Illinois), where my admissions status is still under review–which is particularly frustrating since it's also my top program. Also, would it be helpful to send a letter of continued interest to the school?

11 minutes ago, wiscosrealkelso said:

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from Ohio State?  It's one of the only places (along with Illinois), where my admissions status is still under review–which is particularly frustrating since it's also my top program. Also, would it be helpful to send a letter of continued interest to the school?

I'm still waiting on Ohio State, but last cycle I didn't get an email until early March.