Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

I applied to 6 MA History programs for the fall. I got into all but 1, and I am waiting for news from that school. Half of my programs have given me pretty generous funding. I know I am going to have to turn at least 4 schools down, and 5 if I get into the last. I am really nervous about when and how to do this. The departments have been really kind (some going over my application early to make sure I can consider their offer, etc.) and I have certain deadlines in which I need to respond, between 2 weeks and 30 days from the decision.

I have anxiety in general and I know I am blowing this way out of proportion, but I am absolutely dreading sending those e-mails. In addition, I am having major anxiety about making the right decision. I thought I would be excited to get into most of my programs after a failed attempt a few years ago, but I have no clue if I'm doing this right.

Ugh.

1 minute ago, archersline said:

History and Native American! 

Figured it had to be something like that. :) It is rather what OU is known for (along with environmental).

I've been an employee of OU for quite a while. If you have any questions about the town or the university (from a relatively unbiased perspective), shoot me a pm.

1 hour ago, reremoop said:

I applied to 6 MA History programs for the fall. I got into all but 1, and I am waiting for news from that school. Half of my programs have given me pretty generous funding. I know I am going to have to turn at least 4 schools down, and 5 if I get into the last. I am really nervous about when and how to do this. The departments have been really kind (some going over my application early to make sure I can consider their offer, etc.) and I have certain deadlines in which I need to respond, between 2 weeks and 30 days from the decision.

I have anxiety in general and I know I am blowing this way out of proportion, but I am absolutely dreading sending those e-mails. In addition, I am having major anxiety about making the right decision. I thought I would be excited to get into most of my programs after a failed attempt a few years ago, but I have no clue if I'm doing this right.

Ugh.

I am in the same boat as you. My plan is to be polite and respectful in precisely the same manner I would hope to get a rejection from a given school. They are professionals and understand that these are some of our first major choices in the professional arena. You won't hurt their feelings, they will be happy for you! :)

3 minutes ago, archersline said:

I am in the same boat as you. My plan is to be polite and respectful in precisely the same manner I would hope to get a rejection from a given school. They are professionals and understand that these are some of our first major choices in the professional arena. You won't hurt their feelings, they will be happy for you! :)

I second this. When you've made your decision, promptly and professionally notify the other programs. They aren't going to harbor some irrational resentment--it is the nature of the business.

@insidethesun @archerslineThank you both-- It makes total sense when you think about it rationally. It is just hard to separate emotion from such a huge life decision.

@knp -- I will definitely be holding your virtual hand as I write to the programs!!! Usually I have my partner proofread my scary e-mails to make sure I sound coherent, which sometimes helps. :D

5 hours ago, Neist said:

I got funding at OU. (Yay!) For up to five years. (Yay!) And it's for a graduate assistant, not a teaching assistant (which has its pluses and minuses).

Well I guess I have a decision to make now.

Congrats! I almost applied to UO for their environmental/history of west program. 

2 hours ago, reremoop said:

@insidethesun @archerslineThank you both-- It makes total sense when you think about it rationally. It is just hard to separate emotion from such a huge life decision.

@knp -- I will definitely be holding your virtual hand as I write to the programs!!! Usually I have my partner proofread my scary e-mails to make sure I sound coherent, which sometimes helps. :D

I understand completely! Even though I got into my number one school, the other schools were so hard to turn down. I don't want to disappoint the professors who I've been in contact with, some of whom have been extremely friendly and generous with their time and I really would have loved to attend their programs under slightly different circumstances. And it's hard to think about the different opportunities and experiences I would have had at that school and then give them up. But of course it has to be done! I tried to keep my emails to POIs professional but a little personal too. I hope I struck the right tone; the responses so far have been very gracious.

1 hour ago, RamyaS said:

Columbia just sent me an email offering me a International History MA (in association with LSE). Unfunded of course. They are so funny. :P

For the cost, you could buy a nice car or some real estate, or stocks, or a trip around the world.

10 minutes ago, HAPPYDuck said:

Any word about UCLA or University of Washington?!?  I hate to be annoying but it's seriously killin me! 

Maybe I should start a new thread to whine about the wait time :P

I believe UCLA is still making decisions although I know a few offers have gone out. Not sure about Washington. 

1 minute ago, archersline said:

I believe UCLA is still making decisions although I know a few offers have gone out. Not sure about Washington. 

Comparing to past years in number and timing of admits, I'm not optimistic. I think at this point most admits have been informed and the rest are maybe wait-list but likely rejection. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. But this is just my prediction which could be wrong.

3 minutes ago, fencergirl said:

Comparing to past years in number and timing of admits, I'm not optimistic. I think at this point most admits have been informed and the rest are maybe wait-list but likely rejection. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. But this is just my prediction which could be wrong.

No I would agree. If you haven't heard from most schools by this point it's likely not the best situation.

12 hours ago, archersline said:

No I would agree. If you haven't heard from most schools by this point it's likely not the best situation.

That has certainly been my experience... Not getting my hopes up after mid February has really helped keep my sanity this cycle.

37 minutes ago, SunshineLolipops said:

That has certainly been my experience... Not getting my hopes up after mid February has really helped keep my sanity this cycle.

It's honestly surprising that more schools don't update their pages to reflect when these types of decisions are made. Most still say early to mid-March. 

33 minutes ago, archersline said:

It's honestly surprising that more schools don't update their pages to reflect when these types of decisions are made. Most still say early to mid-March. 

If there's one aspect of this whole application process that has surprised me it is the relative lack of communication, or poor communication, from some of the programs out there.

The two programs I got accepted/funded were by far the best of the bunch. 

51 minutes ago, Josh J. said:

Here is to hoping that the University of Oregon actually makes some notifications today. They are way late.

I've heard through the grapevine that Oregon typically does not get their notifications out until at least the first week of March. 

6 minutes ago, ashiepoo72 said:

I got 3 acceptances at the end of February or early March. Once you get to mid-March I'd start wondering if you were informally wait listed or rejected, but not until then.

I was an undergrad at Davis. I hope you're enjoying it. I would go back in a heartbeat if only they had my field of study. 

19 hours ago, RamyaS said:

Columbia just sent me an email offering me a International History MA (in association with LSE). Unfunded of course. They are so funny. :P

I got the same deal--and I'm already finishing my first MA! nu, at least they put the cost of tuition in the email!