Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

38 minutes ago, victoriana said:

I'm not sure yet if I will be attending Vandy or another school, but I'm going to visit at the end of March.  I can't wait, and have heard that the campus is beautiful!  Glad to hear that you had a good experience there.

I visited Vanderbilt last spring and came away very impressed. Their graduate student body was incredibly welcoming and bright. Plus, Nashville is a great town. Lots of great BBQ. 

2 hours ago, Josh J. said:

Well, I am in TOTAL shock at this moment...

Tenneesee just emailed me to let me know that they've given me the Klein fellowship AND a chancellors fellowship!!!!!!! Full five year funding, when normally they only provide 3-4.

Last year, I applied to seven programs and got zero admits....

I can't even believe it! I gotta calm down before I walk into a class of middle schoolers in half an hour to teach language arts!

CONGRATS @Josh J.!!! I guess Oregon is going to have to make one heck of an offer. :)

31 minutes ago, hqqrory said:

https://appstatus.grad.ucla.edu/account/login.aspx

got an email to check their decision letter on UCLA's website

Did you get accepted? I haven't heard from them and my status still hasn't changed. I guess I can safely assume a rejection at this point.

Edited by HAPPYDuck

18 minutes ago, HAPPYDuck said:

Did you get accepted? I haven't heard from them and my status still hasn't changed. I guess I can safely assume a rejection at this point.

"no decision has been made on your application" and most decisions are made in March and April. Welp. :rolleyes:

@Josh J. Congratulations!!

@Neist Ugh... you'd think they'd be dying to have brilliant people like us? :) The rejection letter said something about faculty fit. I wish I could ask them if they actually read my SOP since I clearly stated fit with specific faculty members :) Congratulations on your other admits.

@anxiousgradgirl I hope you got some good news from Cornell! :) 

1 hour ago, RamyaS said:

@Neist Ugh... you'd think they'd be dying to have brilliant people like us? :) The rejection letter said something about faculty fit. I wish I could ask them if they actually read my SOP since I clearly stated fit with specific faculty members :) Congratulations on your other admits.

Maybe we're too good for Cornell. That's definitely it. ;) And thanks! I'll be okay this round. I'll find a happy home somewhere.

How's things turned out for you so far?

Okay I'm done waiting for UCLA I think. I'm going to assume rejection at this point, accept my #1 school officially, and move on! (If I am indeed rejected by UCLA it will be the second time... not that I'm bitter :P).

51 minutes ago, Neist said:

Maybe we're too good for Cornell. That's definitely it. ;) And thanks! I'll be okay this round. I'll find a happy home somewhere.

How's things turned out for you so far?

True that with Cornell :)

Things have turned out decently, thanks. Got a generous funding package from Michigan State for 5 years... so I am kinda sorta happy. Got accepted at a couple of other places, but I do not see myself taking them up. 

I am waiting to hear from a couple of planning schools. 

3 hours ago, HAPPYDuck said:

3 hours ago, anxietygirl said:

"no decision has been made on your application" and most decisions are made in March and April. Welp. :rolleyes:

Decision Letter

Decision letters are available to view and print until the end of the current calendar year.

Be sure to print a copy of your letter and keep it in a safe place.

I guess they have not updated everyone's

36 minutes ago, RamyaS said:

Things have turned out decently, thanks. Got a generous funding package from Michigan State for 5 years... so I am kinda sorta happy. Got accepted at a couple of other places, but I do not see myself taking them up. 

You should definitely be happy. The history department at MSU is lovely.

13 hours ago, RamyaS said:

Glad it worked out! :D 

I didn't get any reach schools, but I'm very happy with what I got.

4 minutes ago, Neist said:

I got funding at OU. (Yay!) For up to five years. (Yay!) And it's for a graduate assistant, not a teaching assistant (which has its pluses and minuses).

Well I guess I have a decision to make now.

@Neist - Congrats! That's awesome! I think not moving + funding up to 5 years (with pretty much the guarantee of a PhD) pretty much trumps BGSU's MA...but that's just me. :)

Let's all meet up at 4S next year!

23 minutes ago, nevermind said:

@Neist - Congrats! That's awesome! I think not moving + funding up to 5 years (with pretty much the guarantee of a PhD) pretty much trumps BGSU's MA...but that's just me. :)

Let's all meet up at 4S next year!

Thanks! :) 

It is more of a practical program, too. I've worked for a decade in libraries full-time, and it's a dual degree with MLIS. I would think I'd be on a very short list of applicants for library jobs.

Edited by Neist

27 minutes ago, Neist said:

I got funding at OU. (Yay!) For up to five years. (Yay!) And it's for a graduate assistant, not a teaching assistant (which has its pluses and minuses).

Well I guess I have a decision to make now.

Congratulations!!! Yeei :D 

Just now, anthrostudentcyn said:

@Neist so happy for you! I'm in a similar waitlist funding situation..what did they tell you originally about how likely getting off the waitlist was?

They said it was fairly likely. 

The general issue with OU is that if you're good enough of an applicant to get funding, then you're probably good enough of an applicant to get funding in a lot of other places, too. Geographically, Oklahoma generally isn't very appealing, so a lot of applicants decide to attend programs in greener pastures with more funding (even though cost of living in Oklahoma is laughably low, so the funding isn't a huge issue). A wait list here probably isn't as unlikely as it might be at Harvard or Yale, where applicants are more likely to matriculate. 

I was a little bit lucky that there were two funded slots this year. Sometimes there's only one slot. If there was only one slot the person ahead of me would have gotten it.

4 minutes ago, archersline said:

I was also admitted to OU, so who knows, we might even see each other next fall! 

Oh, neat! History or history of science, and what's your research focus?