Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

Somewhat related to Josh J.'s questions, I was admitted to one school about 2 weeks ago from the DGS but didn't get an email from my POI. I'm going to decline the offer, should I still email my POI separately? We did have contact by email early on in the process but not since then so I'm not sure what the etiquette is here. 

9 minutes ago, fencergirl said:

Somewhat related to Josh J.'s questions, I was admitted to one school about 2 weeks ago from the DGS but didn't get an email from my POI. I'm going to decline the offer, should I still email my POI separately? We did have contact by email early on in the process but not since then so I'm not sure what the etiquette is here. 

I would still email the POI, thanking them for their time and saying something cordial about paths crossing in the future. Considering you may see them in future conferences/talks, there's definitely no harm in going out of your way to be extra gracious. 

8 hours ago, anxiousgradgirl said:

Hi all. I've been keeping up with posts/results from many history applicants, so congratulations to everyone for making it to this point in the process. I need a bit of advice: I have been wait-listed at my top choice school. I have a phone conversation tomorrow with the Director of GS in my department, and I want to make an excellent impression. My feeling is that the conversation is mostly about my place on the waitlist and what would happen in the *incredible* case that I was admitted. However, I want to ask articulate questions and demonstrate my sincere interest in the program. Any suggestions or comments about how to approach the conversation would be much appreciated! Many thanks in advance. 

One thing I would say is just sound very gracious and happy and hopeful for that spot and then even if you don't get off at least the person will be more considerate in responding to you.

2 hours ago, fencergirl said:

American etiquette is seriously confusing to me. I tend to go with the idea that no one is (hopefully) going to be upset about me being extra polite. The opposite? who knows.

I'd mail them.  

2 hours ago, RamyaS said:

Got my reject from Cornell :)@Neist I hope you have good news!! 

Nope! Rejection! :D 

I don't think any of us here got in, did we? And the @A Librarian clarified applicant status at RPI in such a way that I'm going to assume rejection there as well. I guess all I have to wait for now is whether I get an NSFGRFP or funding at OU.

Edited by Neist

1 hour ago, Neist said:

Nope! Rejection! :D 

I don't think any of us here got in, did we? And the The Librarian clarified applicant status at RPI in such a way that I'm going to assume rejection there as well. I guess all I have to wait for now is whether I get an NSFGRFP or funding at OU.

1 hour ago, RamyaS said:

Got my reject from Cornell :)@Neist I hope you have good news!! 

Is this for history? I have not heard anything from Cornell yet. Any information would help. :)

Just now, HAPPYDuck said:

Is this for history? I have not heard anything from Cornell yet. Any information would help. :)

Cornell STS. No word on history from my front. :)

Just now, RamyaS said:

I am so sorry @Neist :/ I don't know who even got in!

It's okay! I'm not surprised, but my undergraduate adviser told me she was a little surprised (she's also our graduate studies coordinator, so shes a lot of applications). I always suspected that it was a long shot.

I wish there was some way I could know where I fell into the pecking order. But alas, it's impossible. :) 

2 minutes ago, Neist said:

I wish there was some way I could know where I fell into the pecking order. But alas, it's impossible. :) 

In my previous cycle, I got some very specific information about where I was in the ranking by approaching different POIs after everything was over. I didn't ask exactly for my rank, but several people simply volunteered information such as "you were number X because of this and that". 

5 minutes ago, anxiousgradgirl said:

I'm also waiting to hear from Cornell STS. Any word out there? 

Several of us got rejections today. Not sure what it means if you haven't, but. :) 

I'm still waiting on rejects (or unlikely admits) from Illinois, Chicago, UNC Chapel Hill, Carnegie Mellon, and Pittsburgh. I remember thinking, that if I don't hear anything in February, I might as well give up hope. I am so thankful to be admitted to two programs at this point, I can only imagine how I would feel otherwise.

Well, I am in TOTAL shock at this moment...

Tenneesee just emailed me to let me know that they've given me the Klein fellowship AND a chancellors fellowship!!!!!!! Full five year funding, when normally they only provide 3-4.

Last year, I applied to seven programs and got zero admits....

I can't even believe it! I gotta calm down before I walk into a class of middle schoolers in half an hour to teach language arts!

12 minutes ago, Josh J. said:

Tenneesee just emailed me to let me know that they've given me the Klein fellowship AND a chancellors fellowship!!!!!!! Full five year funding, when normally they only provide 3-4.

I can't even believe it! I gotta calm down before I walk into a class of middle schoolers in half an hour to teach language arts!

Wow, congratulations!!!  ?

I also struggled to act semi-normally in front of my tenth-grade English class after I heard good news from Vanderbilt.

28 minutes ago, Josh J. said:

Congrats! :D 

21 minutes ago, victoriana said:

Wow, congratulations!!!  ?

I also struggled to act semi-normally in front of my tenth-grade English class after I heard good news from Vanderbilt.

Thanks! Are you going to Vandy? I was an MTS student in the Divinity school there. Great place!

1 hour ago, Josh J. said:

Congratulations! Thats awesome!

31 minutes ago, Josh J. said:

Thanks! Are you going to Vandy? I was an MTS student in the Divinity school there. Great place!

I'm not sure yet if I will be attending Vandy or another school, but I'm going to visit at the end of March.  I can't wait, and have heard that the campus is beautiful!  Glad to hear that you had a good experience there.

I'm glad so many have heard good news!  All of my programs typically notify the last week of February/first week of March, so I anticipate a lot of good news or bad news at the same time. 

I'm curious if anyone knows about University of Maryland - College Park. I saw on the results page yesterday that one person got an acceptance (congrats!) but didn't see any others. My application status still says under review. It seems in previous years decisions have come out over the course of a couple days, but it's difficult to figure out the pattern. Any insight is appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Josh J. said:

That is amazing! Congrats to you!! :)