Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

1 hour ago, Septerra said:

I saw that a couple of people have been rejected from UNC Chapel Hill via the website. I went on to check my status and it had not been updated. That confirms what I have been told unofficially, that I am on a "short" wait list. Jeez it would be phenomenal for my career to get there. Clutch.

Would not suck.

53 minutes ago, jstubbl4 said:

Congrats, Josh!  I've been waitlisted at Tennessee for funding, and I have no idea how far down the waitlist I am.  

Anyone on here get the funding offer from the UT Knoxville medieval cohort?

Thanks! I hope you get the funding that you need!

So.. is it common for schools to wait to send things out in March? I'm still waiting to hear back from 5 programs. I'm a bit concerned at this point because decisions seem to be slowing. On the results page I have noticed that a couple people have heard back from these schools.. should I assume rejection at this point?
I'm just wondering if maybe I should e-mail about the status of my applications or if it's still inappropriate..

10 minutes ago, Danger_Zone said:

So.. is it common for schools to wait to send things out in March? I'm still waiting to hear back from 5 programs. I'm a bit concerned at this point because decisions seem to be slowing. On the results page I have noticed that a couple people have heard back from these schools.. should I assume rejection at this point?
I'm just wondering if maybe I should e-mail about the status of my applications or if it's still inappropriate..

I would assume rejection but hope for the best. Most often departments contact you themselves and allow the grad college to handle rejections which often slows that process down. That being said it is perfectly acceptable to email the departments to ask. 

2 hours ago, archersline said:
2 hours ago, archersline said:

I would assume rejection but hope for the best. Most often departments contact you themselves and allow the grad college to handle rejections which often slows that process down. That being said it is perfectly acceptable to email the departments to ask. 

Thank you. I really hope that isn't the case.. I've only been accepted to one program so far, it would be nice to have some choice in where I end up. I guess I don't know for sure until I hear anything, though.

6 minutes ago, Danger_Zone said:

Thank you. I really hope that isn't the case.. I've only been accepted to one program so far, it would be nice to have some choice in where I end up. I guess I don't know for sure until I hear anything, though.

That being said, I know several programs that people have yet to hear back from so I'm less inclined to think it's doom and gloom just yet. I do recommend emailing though, I found out I was rejected from William and Mary from my POI and I haven't even heard official from the college.

14 minutes ago, archersline said:
15 minutes ago, archersline said:

That being said, I know several programs that people have yet to hear back from so I'm less inclined to think it's doom and gloom just yet. I do recommend emailing though, I found out I was rejected from William and Mary from my POI and I haven't even heard official from the college.

I am just curious as to what the possible upside of emailing is? Everyone has the same deadline to accept admission (though when I was in the process of applying to law schools and my MS program I did say 'no thank you' as soon as I knew I wouldn't accept something). I did have the urge to reach out to people, but I ignored it. I guess I just don't see the upside. "Oh SMITH! Thank heavens you emailed! I would have never realized that I didn't send your response!" If anything, during this crazy busy time for them I would think that if it had any effect it would be detrimental. If there are 3 folks left for one spot and someone just can't stand to let the process happen without emailing, maybe it makes it easier to say there are 2 folks for one spot. I have no idea, but it does seem like a possibility or at least as possible as it having a positive effect.

I know the waiting is no fun and I hope you get a positive result. Any suggestions on what the possible benefits of email are, other than making us feel like we are being proactive in some fashion when in reality the die has been cast?

24 minutes ago, Quickmick said:

I am just curious as to what the possible upside of emailing is? Everyone has the same deadline to accept admission (though when I was in the process of applying to law schools and my MS program I did say 'no thank you' as soon as I knew I wouldn't accept something). I did have the urge to reach out to people, but I ignored it. I guess I just don't see the upside. "Oh SMITH! Thank heavens you emailed! I would have never realized that I didn't send your response!" If anything, during this crazy busy time for them I would think that if it had any effect it would be detrimental. If there are 3 folks left for one spot and someone just can't stand to let the process happen without emailing, maybe it makes it easier to say there are 2 folks for one spot. I have no idea, but it does seem like a possibility or at least as possible as it having a positive effect.

I know the waiting is no fun and I hope you get a positive result. Any suggestions on what the possible benefits of email are, other than making us feel like we are being proactive in some fashion when in reality the die has been cast?

You do realize that the scenario you just described actually does happen right? I have heard countless times about lost rejections, etc. So long as you handle it professionally it isn't an issue. 

17 minutes ago, archersline said:

You do realize that the scenario you just described actually does happen right? I have heard countless times about lost rejections, etc. So long as you handle it professionally it isn't an issue. 

Of course it does, I just wouldn't guess it to be statistically significant (unless it is one of ours! :)), though I never learned how to count countless.

1 hour ago, archersline said:

You're definitely right. I am trying to be more positive, but I just haven't had the best luck yet so it's difficult!

I have just seen some people already receive notifications, and I felt there might be a chance that somebody has called or sent me a letter and I haven't received it. I was also planning to visit a school or two while I was visiting the US in a couple of weeks, so I was hoping for a better idea of what I was doing by then. I would hate to visit my top choices while I'm there and fall in love only to receive rejection afterwards.. :unsure: I hope I haven't actually hurt my chances by inquiring about my applications, though..

7 minutes ago, Danger_Zone said:

You're definitely right. I am trying to be more positive, but I just haven't had the best luck yet so it's difficult!

I have just seen some people already receive notifications, and I felt there might be a chance that somebody has called or sent me a letter and I haven't received it. I was also planning to visit a school or two while I was visiting the US in a couple of weeks, so I was hoping for a better idea of what I was doing by then. I would hate to visit my top choices while I'm there and fall in love only to receive rejection afterwards.. :unsure: I hope I haven't actually hurt my chances by inquiring about my applications, though..

You probably didn't. Hang in there and hope for the best, if you put your best effort into your application materials its really all you could do no matter how it works out. Good Luck!

@archersline just thought I'd give you another chance to give me a a minus heart thingy :P

Edited by Quickmick

41 minutes ago, Danger_Zone said:

If you aren't in the U.S. then I would say even more so it is a good idea to give them a call/send them an e-mail. With that in mind, I cannot imagine that it would be seen as a detriment to your cause. If others have received acceptances from a given school, I would tend to think that is likely a rejection. Stay positive though! 

Those of you anxious to "e-mail" for a status update, wait until March 15th.  By then, almost all of the programs should have sent out their acceptance letters and inviting those folks to visit.  Rejections will then follow.  If you haven't heard in either case, it's likely that you are waitlisted.  I didn't find out until April 1st one year that I had been waitlisted until I e-mailed the program.

March 15, I think, is a safe date.  All admitted students have until April 15th to make the final decisions.

4 minutes ago, TMP said:

Those of you anxious to "e-mail" for a status update, wait until March 15th.  By then, almost all of the programs should have sent out their acceptance letters and inviting those folks to visit.  Rejections will then follow.  If you haven't heard in either case, it's likely that you are waitlisted.  I didn't find out until April 1st one year that I had been waitlisted until I e-mailed the program.

March 15, I think, is a safe date.  All admitted students have until April 15th to make the final decisions.

Good advice. 

I'm feeling really good about this coming week! (No empirical evidence, just positive feelings.) I have no admits yet, but let's all keep our heads up. There's still time. :) And remember, we are not finished. 

1 hour ago, krystasonrisa said:

I'm feeling really good about this coming week! (No empirical evidence, just positive feelings.) I have no admits yet, but let's all keep our heads up. There's still time. :) And remember, we are not finished. 

Heck yeah! I will send positive vibes your way! :)

1 hour ago, krystasonrisa said:

That's a good attitude to have; best of luck!

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 8:28 PM, Septerra said:

I saw that a couple of people have been rejected from UNC Chapel Hill via the website. I went on to check my status and it had not been updated. That confirms what I have been told unofficially, that I am on a "short" wait list. Jeez it would be phenomenal for my career to get there. Clutch.

If that is the case...that those of us who have not heard are on some kind of unofficial wait list, there are at least three of us here on gradcafe in the same situation.

Edited by rushistory