Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

22 minutes ago, scrivere said:

make that four...

I still haven't heard anything from 3 programs who have given out acceptances/rejections to others. :mellow:

Oh that reminds me, I don't know if anyone else is waiting to hear back from Chicago, but I sent an e-mail inquiring about my application and was told they should have all decisions out by March 15th.

1 hour ago, archersline said:

I would contact her. I am visiting Rutgers next week and plan to meet with several faculty members. Note, I have not accepted their offer either. I have had nothing but incredibly positive feedback when reaching out, especially after being accepted. 

31 minutes ago, tipmar said:

It's perfectly legitimate to ask for a meeting, that is part of the purpose of visiting days. The kind of interaction you have with a potential adviser is a major factor in the decision and, personally, I will not consider committing before such a meeting.  In fact, I requested a meeting with a potential adviser from a department at which I am currently waitlisted (and received a very positive response).

I am in the same boat as far as being accepted and not hearing anything from one of my POIs. I gave it about two weeks, but I think I will be contacting them in the next few days.

Okay that makes sense. I guess I will go on and contact her fairly soon then if I don't hear anything, I was planning to visit the campus sometime at the end of March.

Speaking of meetings with faculty members; I have a good idea of what I want to talk about with my POI, but not with others who I view could potentially serve on my committee. Any crucial questions I should ask and/or be mindful of when talking to complementary faculty members?

1 hour ago, archersline said:

Very frustrating. The delay between acceptances and rejections needs to be fixed. 

This is a STS program, mind you, but RPI has yet to reject me. The three posted acceptances on the results were posted from Feb. 4-6. So I've nearly spent a month waiting for my rejection. :D 

18 minutes ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

I agree, I'm waiting on a school where tons of people have gotten both acceptances and rejections about a month ago, and they keep telling me they are still making decisions.

Apparently RPI has a recruitment weekend this upcoming weekend, so I'll probably email them next week at some point. They told me that they thought decisions would be finalized, whatever that means at this point, by early March. 

Out of curiosity, anyone else here have any not-so-clear cut decisions to make about which programs they should attend?

It's not that I don't understand my choices, but it's a pretty big decision, and I feel as if I should thoroughly ruminate on it.

9 hours ago, emmabear said:

Still haven't heard from UCSD. So annoying! Their recruitment weekend is this week, just send the rejections already!

Yeah...for better or worse, acceptances + funding information have definitely gone out. Right now, I'm waiting on the Graduate School's "official" approval before I can accept my offer, so I'm suspecting that's what the hold up on everything is. My status hasn't changed on the web portal, despite on-going communication from the department. 

1 hour ago, Neist said:

Out of curiosity, anyone else here have any not-so-clear cut decisions to make about which programs they should attend?

It's not that I don't understand my choices, but it's a pretty big decision, and I feel as if I should thoroughly ruminate on it.

I am right there with you. I just heard back that I would be fully funded at OU so the decision has definitely become a little bit more difficult. 

1 hour ago, Neist said:

Yes! I thought this would be easier; I didn't get into my #1, and I hadn't realized how closely tied my two second choices are. Whoof!

22 minutes ago, archersline said:

I am right there with you. I just heard back that I would be fully funded at OU so the decision has definitely become a little bit more difficult. 

Fully funded at OU? Congrats! :) 

Funding is pretty hard to come by this year at OU. Rumor has it that the history department has actually offered even less funding than history of science. Even if you don't decide to attend, you should be pretty proud of yourself getting it. However, if you are considering OU, you should probably familiarize yourself with the financial situation of the state. I'm not trying to preach doom and gloom (because the one of the two offers I'm considering is from OU), but the university is facing fairly significant budget shortfalls. I don't get the impression that the budget short falls will affect the academic integrity of any program, nor do I think they'll affect any commitments of financial support, but it is something to consider. The only thing I worry about, from a graduate student perspective, is the potential for reduced traveling funds.

You can probably google it yourself, but here's a convenient link: http://kfor.com/2016/01/28/ou-board-of-regents-approves-plan-to-save-20-million/

6 minutes ago, knp said:

Yes! I thought this would be easier; I didn't get into my #1, and I hadn't realized how closely tied my two second choices are. Whoof!

I think I've pretty much decided, but I think I'm going to let it boil for another week before I commit publicly. :) 

17 hours ago, stillalivetui said:

Speaking of meetings with faculty members; I have a good idea of what I want to talk about with my POI, but not with others who I view could potentially serve on my committee. Any crucial questions I should ask and/or be mindful of when talking to complementary faculty members?

Ask them why they came to the department; that can be eye-opening. Ask them what they like best about the department or if there is anything they'd change. They probably know a thing or two about your research, so ask them how they see your research fitting into the department. And look them up beforehand and generate questions that way: if they teach digital history, use it to ask them about DH opportunities on campus; if they direct something like an African studies center, ask them about the center and its programming; etc. 

4 hours ago, Neist said:

No, you're not the only one. It's quite a difficult decision. All my advisors I talk to emphasize across the board funding but it's still an agonizing decision. 

There are so many factors that go into deciding which program to choose, it usually is a tougher choice than people expect.

FWIW, considering adviser fit/reputation (I took the goldilocks approach, but some people like the near-retirement superstar or unknown-quantity newbie for valid reasons), funding, cost of living (so important! I was offered a bit more funding at a program with a COL twice as high as Davis, so it cancelled out), student outcomes (placement? Time to degree? It's well and good if everyone finishes, but why is it taking most people 8-10 years? Probably lack of funding opportunities!), grad student vibe (do they hate each other and the program? Can you see yourself being happy joining their community?) and department culture (douchey? Meat grinder? Intent on "culling the weak?" No thanks) made my choice much easier. Some of these things aren't obvious before visiting and/or talking to current students though, so definitely do that!

Great advice, ashiepoo! And I like the way you put them, haha.

One of my choices is in a very college town area where a lot of apartments for the academic year start going now. (Now! I've spent my whole adulthood to this point in cities, I'm not used to this cycle.) So I've been making appointments to visit some housing options in the event that I go to that school. Holy goodness it's getting real!

My three options are on three different continents and there are a LOT of factors, some qualitative and some quantitative, that I am still trying to wrap my head around. I've got some chats with current students set up but I think at this point it's going to be up to how I click with the POIs when we meet in person. Most of these are all happy problems, of course, but they are going to decide THE REST OF MY LIFE!

Just got my official UNC rejection! Oh well, hey ho, it had been up on the website for a week and I just didn't understand how to dig through all the pages to find it. It's a shame, because I would have been thrilled to work with my POI there, but I suppose it wasn't the best fit university for me more generally.

On March 2, 2016 at 11:25 AM, Neist said:

I'm sorry to hear that! Did they at least give you useful feedback?