Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

As much as waiting on a waitlist and for 3 schools to contact me at all is agonizing, being slammed with grading midterms and watching the TT faculty do a search committee for a new position helps me to understand that I might not be at the top on anyone's priority list.  Three weeks from now at least it should finally be over....

1 hour ago, archersline said:

In that boat as well with another school. I understand that a DGS is busy this time of year, but it is unprofessional to ignore emails. 

As 5th year said to me when I made the same complaints, just wait until you get to the job market <_<

22 hours ago, Septerra said:

I can't believe Illinois still hasn't informed me about my status...the DGS has not replied to my e-mail, and I wish I could go ahead an eliminate them from my purview.

I just received my rejection, sadly.. But I anticipated that, I just really wanted to make it official so I could move on. I'm assuming you will hear back soon. 

Now to just hear back from Indiana.. Did anyone happen to apply to the HPS program (can't remember if I asked this)?

2 hours ago, Septerra said:

Illinois: "I'm sorry for the impersonality of this e-mail..."

At least it was better than a "check the website automated message," I'm looking at you Pittsburgh. 

Whoever thought that was a good choice was sorely mistaken...

2 hours ago, Septerra said:

At least it was better than a "check the website automated message," I'm looking at you Pittsburgh. 

I'm pretty sure one program I applied to is just going to forget I ever existed and tell me nothing. :D 

An automated email would be nice, honestly.

2 hours ago, archersline said:

Congrats to the William and Mary admit!! That's awesome news on a Friday! 

Thanks! I got the call last night, the official email this morning, and I accepted it!

"It only takes one" has been my mantra throughout the process... and that's precisely how it played out. 

I couldn't be more excited by the program, my future advisor, the funding package, or the opportunity to live in the Chesapeake (My girlfriend and I both have deep roots in the area). 

For the person asking about OSU on the results board, I'm waiting to hear back anything from Ohio State, Penn State, and Georgia Tech's History and Sociology of Technology and Science programs.  I've got my fingers crossed, but I'm not expecting anything but a little closure, hopefully, but not likely, this week.

Edited by SunshineLolipops

1 minute ago, SunshineLolipops said:

For the person asking about OSU on the results board, I'm waiting to hear back anything from Ohio State, Penn State, and Georgia Tech's History and Sociology of Technology and Science programs.  I've got my fingers crossed, but in not expecting anything but a little closure, hopefully, but not likely, this week.

I saw someone declined UNC, hopefully you hear some good news soon! 

58 minutes ago, archersline said:

I saw someone declined UNC, hopefully you hear some good news soon! 

My academia.edu and another place where my undergrad thesis is posted got hits on Sunday, so hopefully there's still a chance.  My masters dissertation has also been added to the Royal Engineers Museum at Gillingham's archive, and I'm trying to decide if that's news enough to contact programs where I am or  might be on the fence.  It's not a publication though, so I'm willing to bet any DGS would see it as just an excuse to bother him or her.

13 minutes ago, SunshineLolipops said:

My academia.edu and another place where my undergrad thesis is posted got hits on Sunday, so hopefully there's still a chance.  My masters dissertation has also been added to the Royal Engineers Museum at Gillingham's archive, and I'm trying to decide if that's news enough to contact programs where I am or  might be on the fence.  It's not a publication though, so I'm willing to bet any DGS would see it as just an excuse to bother him or her.

I've got my fingers crossed for you! 

3 hours ago, SunshineLolipops said:

We had an unusual situation with our admissions this year and so we haven't sent out any rejections.  It's likely that you won't hear until much closer to April 15th.

On 3/25/2016 at 2:37 PM, meo03 said:

Thanks! I got the call last night, the official email this morning, and I accepted it!

"It only takes one" has been my mantra throughout the process... and that's precisely how it played out. 

I couldn't be more excited by the program, my future advisor, the funding package, or the opportunity to live in the Chesapeake (My girlfriend and I both have deep roots in the area). 

Congratulations!  Did you attend the open house there last month?  If not, and you have questions, feel free to PM me (I was there).

2 minutes ago, the_flying_k said:

Congratulations!  Did you attend the open house there last month?  If not, and you have questions, feel free to PM me (I was there).

Any good news on where you are attending? I remember you had quite the impressive list! 

5 hours ago, TMP said:

We had an unusual situation with our admissions this year and so we haven't sent out any rejections.  It's likely that you won't hear until much closer to April 15th.

Appreciate the heads up, by "we" do you mean Ohio State?

1 hour ago, archersline said:

Any good news on where you are attending? I remember you had quite the impressive list! 

I got rejected by Brandeis today, which wasn't too surprising given how long it's taken to hear from them.  I still have one more school to visit (U Minn) before I make my decision.  There's still a lot to think about!

24 minutes ago, the_flying_k said:

I got rejected by Brandeis today, which wasn't too surprising given how long it's taken to hear from them.  I still have one more school to visit (U Minn) before I make my decision.  There's still a lot to think about!

I'm sorry to hear that; that really is a considerable delay. Hopefully the decision comes easy though! 

Added to the waitlist for Georgia Tech's History and Sociology of Science and Technology program.  Even if they don't pan out, two waitlists feels a lot better than getting rejected outright from all of my applications last semester.  Good luck to everyone still waiting for news, waitlisted folks, and people deciding on their offers!