Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

28 minutes ago, SunshineLolipops said:

Added to the waitlist for Georgia Tech's History and Sociology of Science and Technology program.  Even if they don't pan out, two waitlists feels a lot better than getting rejected outright from all of my applications last semester.  Good luck to everyone still waiting for news, waitlisted folks, and people deciding on their offers!

You never know. You could still get in! :) 

The program I accepted was a wait list for funding. It panned out okay. I hope it does for you!

43 minutes ago, SunshineLolipops said:

So is there anything to be gained by contacting a program I haven't heard back from yet this late in the game?  

Clarification? Even if you were denied, it'd be nice to know. :) At this point in the cycle, I'd consider any news good news, and I don't think it's uncouth to contact programs. 

2 hours ago, Neist said:

Clarification? Even if you were denied, it'd be nice to know. :) At this point in the cycle, I'd consider any news good news, and I don't think it's uncouth to contact programs. 

I agree, any news is good news, I'm just trying not to needle in case I'm still somehow in the running.  I'll probably send an email in the morning that will at least show continued interest.

9 hours ago, SunshineLolipops said:

I agree, any news is good news, I'm just trying not to needle in case I'm still somehow in the running.  I'll probably send an email in the morning that will at least show continued interest.

I'm far from an expert, but I don't think you're necessarily denied, even if it's more likely than not.

Who knows what sort of crazy situations arose this cycle at the schools your waiting for?

Aside from finally getting to email departments guilt free, does anyone know what to do if you don't have notifications after 15 April?  I'm not expecting that to be the case, but hearing from four departments over the next three days is starting to seem less and less likely.

Is it normal to feel burdened with this decision? I've got two excellent programs to choose from, yet I feel literally sick to my stomach and upset with the idea of making a decision by Friday. I passed all my exams last week, but have no feeling of excitement, just dread. I know without a doubt that I want to get my PhD but my decision is keeping me up at night. 

3 minutes ago, HinH said:

Is it normal to feel burdened with this decision? I've got two excellent programs to choose from, yet I feel literally sick to my stomach and upset with the idea of making a decision by Friday. I passed all my exams last week, but have no feeling of excitement, just dread. I know without a doubt that I want to get my PhD but my decision is keeping me up at night. 

I think it's normal. :) 

It's a big decision! It's difficult to make such an important decision casually. In fact, I think it'd be odd if it wasn't.

21 minutes ago, Neist said:

I think it's normal. :) 

It's a big decision! It's difficult to make such an important decision casually. In fact, I think it'd be odd if it wasn't.

Thank you :) I think one of the biggest things that dragging me down is I really want to attend one program but they are offering me less money than another school. I'm afraid of feeling guilty for turning down the better monetary package, particularly when budgets are shrinking for the humanities. 

4 minutes ago, HinH said:

Thank you :) I think one of the biggest things that dragging me down is I really want to attend one program but they are offering me less money than another school. I'm afraid of feeling guilty for turning down the better monetary package, particularly when budgets are shrinking for the humanities. 

Don't feel guilty about turning down a better financial offer. Accept the school that you really want to attend! You will feel better once your make the hard choice and write a few difficult emails. Thank the department for the generous offer and write individual thank yous to faculty with whom you would like to keep in touch. I did this for three schools and everyone was incredibly kind and supportive. 

31 minutes ago, KLZ said:

Don't feel guilty about turning down a better financial offer. Accept the school that you really want to attend! You will feel better once your make the hard choice and write a few difficult emails. Thank the department for the generous offer and write individual thank yous to faculty with whom you would like to keep in touch. I did this for three schools and everyone was incredibly kind and supportive. 

I agree!

Besides, if you were going to grad school for the money, you probably wouldn't be studying the humanities. :D We're here for little reason if not for our passion for study. You should go somewhere where you'll be your happiest.

Of my offers, I accepted the one that paid me the least. I decided to do this because it still does pay enough, even though I'll have to be frugal, and because I liked them best!

5 hours ago, HinH said:

I'm afraid of feeling guilty for turning down the better monetary package, particularly when budgets are shrinking for the humanities. 

When deciding on my MS I had some of the same thoughts/feelings...but someone reminded me that at this level (or that one as the case were) knowing that I had done my due diligence there really was no bad option, just perhaps a 'good, better, best' and they all represented a privileged opportunity (not to say we don't work like heck to earn those opportunities!). You are probably about to get paid to do what you love (or REALLY enjoy) and pick up a top flight education along the way. Heck, even the DI athletes don't get paid to go yet!

19 hours ago, knp said:
2 hours ago, SunshineLolipops said:

Does anyone know what the etiquette is for offers given on the 15th?  Do they expect a same-day response?  I don't have my hopes up, but I don't want to be caught completely off guard by a good opportunity.

Generally, you'll be given a few days.  No worries-- always ask for specific deadline.

On 4/13/2016 at 9:09 AM, HinH said:

I turned down an offer with a fully funded year of research because it just didn't feel as right as the other program, people, and city. I may come to regret it when I'm neck-deep in grant writing, but I am firmly happy with my decision at the present.

Not sure if it’s okay to post this here, but I have a concern that I would love for some advice on. I'll repost elsewhere if there is a better/ more preferred location. It is regarding an interest in slightly shifting my MA concentration when I get into a PhD program. I am currently finishing my MA, with a concentration on early modern England. My thesis focuses on the transition of poor relief administration from medieval to post-Reform era. Took a course on sports and race in the 20th century last semester, and really became interested in the inequalities of race/class in the US. Moving forward, I'm primarily interested in studying the history poverty and inequality more broadly/comparatively since our welfare system is strongly Anglo-influenced. Any recommendations on how to broach this in SOP, or initial outreach to POI? Or even how to find programs that might offer strengths in both areas?

4 hours ago, betwixt&between said:

regarding an interest in slightly shifting my MA concentration when I get into a PhD program

In my applications, I've shifted from my MLitt concentration back to my BA focus, and I tried to focus in my SoPs on the broadening aspect of taking on a project that I will not pursue in PhD work, and on the skills that I was able to refine and bring back to my new interest.  I hit two, or possibly four waitlists, and I'll let you know how that process worked out as soon as I know myself.... hopefully tonight.

9 hours ago, SunshineLolipops said:

So I'm still waiting  to hear from three programs after April 15th.  Any ideas on how the process works from here?

I am going to be blunt to say this: Move on.  Take a break from the admissions process for several months and do something else.   I know it's going to be really unnerving but you will come back in August utterly refreshed.  I have been in  your shoes twice (before getting accepted on my third cycle) so this is a sage advice, not meant to be condescending.

If a program contacts you with an acceptance, then great!  Otherwise, just start walking forward.  Start something new unrelated to any of this.