Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

Got rejected by the University of Oregon tonight... I thought it was a great fit and my POI there said she was interested in my project... so I'm pretty disappointed. 

36 minutes ago, Josh J. said:

Got rejected by the University of Oregon tonight... I thought it was a great fit and my POI there said she was interested in my project... so I'm pretty disappointed. 

Sorry to hear that!! Best of luck to you wherever you wind up! 

1 hour ago, Josh J. said:

I haven't received my rejection from UO (Geography), but was told that "offers are going out now, so you should hear by next week", so I'm *assuming* it's a rejection. No matter for me (I've settled on UCSD anyway), but I also had positive interaction with my POI there. We can always high five at national conferences!

Just posted good news on the results board for the first time (this is my 2nd cycle).  Unfortunately it was a waitlist rather than an acceptance, but not too shabby for my top choice.  For everyone who was shut out this cycle, take it as an opportunity to refine your applications, improve your credentials (take an MA, publish, intern, etc.).  I'm glad I did.  Even if all I walk away with is a waitlist, it still lets me know that I was a competitive applicant, and that's pretty nice to hear after 10 rejections.  Looks like I might be checking the grad cafe into April.  UNC received 250 applications for 16 spots. Email was from DGS with no change in my "submitted" status on the application website.

Edited by SunshineLolipops

8 minutes ago, SunshineLolipops said:

Just posted good news on the results board for the first time (this is my 2nd cycle).  Unfortunately it was a waitlist rather than an acceptance, but not too shabby for my top choice.  For everyone who was shut out this cycle, take it as an opportunity to refine your applications, improve your credentials (take an MA, publish, intern, etc.).  I'm glad I did.  Even if all I walk away with is a waitlist, it still lets me know that I was a competitive applicant, and that's pretty nice to hear after 10 rejections.  Looks like I might be checking the grad cafe into April.  UNC received 250 applications for 16 spots. Email was from DGS with no change in my "submitted" status on the application website.

Great post! Here's hoping you get a much more exciting email soon! :)

8 hours ago, Josh J. said:

I'm in good company! I received my rejection yesterday as well. Odd, considering I received very positive feedback from POIs there. 

I have been rejected from every single program I've applied for. Strong language skills, publications, conferences, and high gpa and test scores. I will work harder on my research paper and SOP next year. But until then, can anyone suggest what I should do in the interim? I don't have a job and I don't know what I can do with a masters in history for just one year.

18 minutes ago, HAPPYDuck said:

I have been rejected from every single program I've applied for. Strong language skills, publications, conferences, and high gpa and test scores. I will work harder on my research paper and SOP next year. But until then, can anyone suggest what I should do in the interim? I don't have a job and I don't know what I can do with a masters in history for just one year.

Hmmm...it sounds like you're quite the competitive candidate. Maybe it just wasn't your year (meaning your POIs weren't taking students, etc.) For applications, I'd suggest soliciting more review and talking with professors about research fit...and applying broadly (not sure what programs you applied to, but I did a range of top 10-30 programs). 

In terms of work, I'd say just find a job (which is easier said than done). Leverage your writing skills (if you're in history, you probably have them)...you can probably get a job writing marketing copy (press releases, white papers, etc.) or technical writing (instructions) for a year, which gives you plenty of time to reevaluate any missteps this academic cycle. 

48 minutes ago, HAPPYDuck said:

Try to get some feedback from your POIs and see what they say.  Go from there.

As for jobs-- leverage your communication and research skills in your cover letters and interviews.  Believe me, good writers are sorely needed (says me after grading so many student papers written by STEM majors....). Keep your head up and breathe.  I've been there-- the disappointment will pass after you get yourself busy in something different.

I would spend the next year researching programs again, including the ones to which you applied, and reevaluating fit. Maybe take a grad course at open university or take on a self-directed research project that you can discuss in your statement. Reworking the SOP and fine-tuning the writing sample will also be highly important. 

I know I offered at the beginning of this application season, but I would be glad to look over anyone's written work. I was a writing fellow at my MA program and have lots of experience editing SOPs.

@HAPPYDuck I've been spending the last year as an adjunct professor and substitute high school teacher, and it's been fun, great for training, and CV worthy.  Note that I did not include great pay as a benefit, but it has definitely been worth it. 

Sorry to hear about the lack of good news.  I was shut down 0/7 myself last year.  I'd definitely give yourself a vacation from doing history related stuff.  It was good for me to remember last spring that there was a whole world of stuff that didn't involve writing admissions essays in libraries at 1:00 am and obsessively checking thegradcafe.com.  I came back to the next application cycle refreshed and more excited about history more generally. Good luck.

Edited by SunshineLolipops

Finally heard back from Cornell today. It was a rejection, but one of the most encouraging and sweet rejections that I have ever received when applying for graduate programs, haha. I still have a couple schools from which to hear; however, I'm becoming more confident and excited that I'm going to accept my offer from Notre Dame! I've enjoyed reading the forum this winter, as it has largely kept me sane. Best of luck to everyone.

2 minutes ago, jpb said:

Finally heard back from Cornell today. It was a rejection, but one of the most encouraging and sweet rejections that I have ever received when applying for graduate programs, haha. I still have a couple schools from which to hear; however, I'm becoming more confident and excited that I'm going to accept my offer from Notre Dame! I've enjoyed reading the forum this winter, as it has largely kept me sane. Best of luck to everyone.

Sorry to hear about Cornell! But Notre Dame would be an amazing landing place! Congrats on that! :)

Does anybody know about the MAPSS program at Chicago? Unfortunately they rejected me for the PhD program (as was expected) but I've been offered this which I didn't expect.. :mellow: It sounds like they can only cover partial tuition, and I'd have to apply to a PhD program after, but is it worth considering since it's a top school?

20 minutes ago, jpb said:

A professor at my undergrad university did her PhD at Notre Dame and said it's a wonderful program and school, so congrats! ^_^

Edited by Danger_Zone

Just now, Danger_Zone said:

Does anybody know about the MAPSS program at Chicago? Unfortunately they rejected me for the PhD program (as was expected) but I've been offered this which I didn't expect.. :mellow: It sounds like they can only cover partial tuition, and I'd have to apply to a PhD program after, but is it worth considering since it's a top school?

I did my MA (not in history) at UChicago. If you have questions about the MAPSS program, feel free to message me. I didn't do the program myself, but I have a few friends who did.

54 minutes ago, Danger_Zone said:

There's a forum elsewhere with a good discussion on the MAPSS here.

One thing you should be aware of, however, is that if you apply for the PhD you'd need to take a gap year the following year. The reason being that professors will not write you a LOR based on the fact they won't know you well enough in the first semester.  

Edited by stillalivetui

38 minutes ago, jpb said:

I did my MA (not in history) at UChicago. If you have questions about the MAPSS program, feel free to message me. I didn't do the program myself, but I have a few friends who did.

30 minutes ago, stillalivetui said:

There's a forum elsewhere with a good discussion on the MAPSS here.

One think you should be aware of, however, is that if you apply for the PhD you'd need to take a gap year the following year. The reason being that professors will not write you a LOR based on the fact they won't know you well enough in the first semester.  

Thanks for the help! I don't think I would even be considering a partially funded MA offer if it wasn't Chicago...But now I have something to think about I guess. :mellow:

Edited by Danger_Zone

8 hours ago, HAPPYDuck said:

Thank you so much everyone for your kind advice. It's somewhat comforting to know that there are  others who have gone through this. I wish everyone the best of success! 

Have you thought about doing ESL? It's great if you're adventurous, but there are also great ESL jobs in the States. The benefits: teaching experience. Travel. International research opportunities (even if informal). It pays decently and isn't too much work so you'd have time to beef up your applications. It takes like 6 weeks and $800 to get certified usually. Also, your positivity is inspiring! Keep moving forward! :) 

Edited by krystasonrisa

On 3/1/2016 at 6:18 PM, stillalivetui said:

Do any Illinois admits know if there is an unofficial waitlist? 

I haven't been admitted, but I emailed about my application and got this response:

"Our initial admittance letters have gone out but the Graduate Studies Committee has a wait list and I do not know how long they will wait before sending out the second round, if any, of admittance letters." 

So.. I guess that's a bit vague but there does appear to be a wait list. The more I look into Illinois the more I think it would be a great fit for me, but I'm not very hopeful about receiving an acceptance at this point.. But who knows what could happen I guess. Maybe if people who do not want to go there start turning it down?

Edited by Danger_Zone

14 minutes ago, Danger_Zone said:

I haven't been admitted, but I emailed about my application and got this response:

"Our initial admittance letters have gone out but the Graduate Studies Committee has a wait list and I do not know how long they will wait before sending out the second round, if any, of admittance letters." 

So.. I guess that's a bit vague but there does appear to be a wait list. The more I look into Illinois the more I think it would be a great fit for me, but I'm not very hopeful about receiving an acceptance at this point.. But who knows what could happen I guess. Maybe if people who do not want to go there start turning it down?

UIC or UIUC?

I'm at UIUC now in the Latin American Studies program, but my field is in history. The History department is super unorganized this year because they admitted too many candidates last year and everyone regrets it. (Some were not that great, according to the professors themselves. I only know like 3 new admits and they seem fine so idk what the professors mean necessarily. So this year there was a lot more caution. Professors talk a lot here, by the way.) Anyway, that's to say that UIUC is scrambling to organize. Expect delays  

I'm waiting to hear from UIC. Hopefully they send out notices next week.

oh! And if anyone else is waiting to hear from UMiami (Florida), they are sending out notices between the 15th and 31st of this month. 

Oh I meant UIUC. Do you have any idea if they have sent out all acceptances then? I think my application was strong but if they are being even more cautious then I'm worried. :mellow:

Edited by Danger_Zone

1 hour ago, Danger_Zone said:

1 hour ago, krystasonrisa said:

UIC or UIUC?

I'm at UIUC now in the Latin American Studies program, but my field is in history. The History department is super unorganized this year because they admitted too many candidates last year and everyone regrets it. (Some were not that great, according to the professors themselves. I only know like 3 new admits and they seem fine so idk what the professors mean necessarily. So this year there was a lot more caution. Professors talk a lot here, by the way.) Anyway, that's to say that UIUC is scrambling to organize. Expect delays  

I'm waiting to hear from UIC. Hopefully they send out notices next week.

oh! And if anyone else is waiting to hear from UMiami (Florida), they are sending out notices between the 15th and 31st of this month. 

Interesting, thanks for the info. At this point I think I know where I'm going, but it'll be nice to have closure on the cycle.

1 hour ago, krystasonrisa said:

Thanks for the info. UIUC is the last school I am still waiting on. I assume rejection, but would love to put this behind me.

1 hour ago, Danger_Zone said:

At this point in the process, I find their response somewhat bizarre. Did you ask/ were told whether or not you are on said list?