Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

33 minutes ago, HAPPYDuck said:

For anyone still waiting on UCLA: Check the website below. I randomly checked just now and I got rejected. So sad since this was my top choice and so far I have gotten rejected from 4 out of 6 schools. 

I wish everyone else luck.

https://appstatus.grad.ucla.edu/account/login.aspx

Thanks for the update. I just checked mine for the bad news. Hope others have better luck.

8 hours ago, HAPPYDuck said:

For anyone still waiting on UCLA: Check the website below. I randomly checked just now and I got rejected. So sad since this was my top choice and so far I have gotten rejected from 4 out of 6 schools. 

I wish everyone else luck.

https://appstatus.grad.ucla.edu/account/login.aspx

I checked the website also. So far, I'm in a similar situation to you. Denied admission from 3/6. Trying to stay positive....

You know, I worked quite a lot figuring out what schools I should apply to and polishing my application materials. However, I never expected how much number crunching is required after one is accepted. It's a fair bit of logistical planning. 

6 minutes ago, Josh J. said:

It's March 1st. Hoping Oregon finally does something today.

I hope you hear something! :) Is Oregon where you're currently attending?

Well, I may be looking at rejections across the board, but I did just get a second callback for an interview for a decent paying job that is completely unrelated to history.  It looks like I might just have to put my money where my mouth is regarding my first-day-of-class spiel to my students about how a degree in the humanities really does prepare you for the workforce.  I wonder how the interviewers at Amazon feel about Antoine de Jomini and his idea of interior lines.....

I've finally made a decision about where I will go next fall! I'm going to be attending UC Irvine! I got a great offer and my potential advisor seems terrific. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear or making decisions! This forum has been so supportive of me even in my most anxious state and I'm so thankful. Best of luck to everyone!!! 

3 minutes ago, anxietygirl said:

I've finally made a decision about where I will go next fall! I'm going to be attending UC Irvine! 

Congrats on your decision! Best of luck with your studies!!!

13 minutes ago, anxietygirl said:

I've finally made a decision about where I will go next fall! I'm going to be attending UC Irvine! I got a great offer and my potential advisor seems terrific. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear or making decisions! This forum has been so supportive of me even in my most anxious state and I'm so thankful. Best of luck to everyone!!! 

That is amazing!! Congrats to you! 

1 hour ago, anxietygirl said:

Congrats, that is awesome news! It probably feels great to have made your decision.

4 hours ago, nom said:

I checked the website also. So far, I'm in a similar situation to you. Denied admission from 3/6. Trying to stay positive....

It's good to know I am not alone. :) Even in this bleak situation I am trying to stay positive. I really hope you get into at least one school. It would be nice to feel wanted by someone, somewhere.

I've also gotten gotten 3 rejections and am waiting for news from UNC, Ohio State, Penn State, and GA Tech.  I know that all funding offers have gone out at GA Tech, and the best I can hope for there is to be waitlisted for funding.  I'm expecting to hear from UNC and Ohio State within the next two weeks, but last cycle I had to wait until April for any news from Penn State, which I only got after emailing the DGS.  To my knowledge I wasn't and am not currently waitlisted anywhere.  Apologies for the doom and gloom, and congratulations to everyone who's gotten better news.  As Ashiepoo has noted, there are still acceptances out there for people.

6 hours ago, Neist said:

You know, I worked quite a lot figuring out what schools I should apply to and polishing my application materials. However, I never expected how much number crunching is required after one is accepted. It's a fair bit of logistical planning. 

I hope you hear something! :) Is Oregon where you're currently attending?

I graduated with the MTS last year, and am adjuncting this year, teaching environnental history and other courses where I can integrate US History and political theology. I'm living back in Oregon, though, so it would be nice to stay.

20 hours ago, ashiepoo72 said:

Do not do a PhD without funding unless you are independently and ridiculously wealthy. Most people will tell you not even to do an MA without funding, and I agree, but I'd take an unfunded MA over an unfunded PhD a million times over. Spend the year bolstering your application (languages? archival research? teaching abroad or domestically? publishing? presenting?) and apply again next go-round.

Sound, practical advice. B) Especially as many humanities students have already paid dearly for undergraduate degrees and/or MAs in addition to the untold thousands spent on test prep and fees, application fees, research/travel, and everything else associated with the application process. It took me three "go-rounds" to get an acceptance with funding, more than worth the heartache and frustration of rejection the previous two rounds. 

Sorry if this is already mentioned elsewhere, but I was accepted to a program and haven't heard from my POI. Should I wait for her to contact me or should I go on and contact her? I'm 90% sure I would like to do research with her unless I end up taking an offer at another school (but first I would need to be accepted somewhere else.:rolleyes:) Also should I ask to meet her while I'm visiting the campus or would this be more appropriate for if I am definitely accepting the offer?

22 minutes ago, Danger_Zone said:

Sorry if this is already mentioned elsewhere, but I was accepted to a program and haven't heard from my POI. Should I wait for her to contact me or should I go on and contact her? I'm 90% sure I would like to do research with her unless I end up taking an offer at another school (but first I would need to be accepted somewhere else.:rolleyes:) Also should I ask to meet her while I'm visiting the campus or would this be more appropriate for if I am definitely accepting the offer?

I would contact her. I am visiting Rutgers next week and plan to meet with several faculty members. Note, I have not accepted their offer either. I have had nothing but incredibly positive feedback when reaching out, especially after being accepted. 

On February 29, 2016 at 9:48 AM, rushistory said:

If that is the case...that those of us who have not heard are on some kind of unofficial wait list, there are at least three of us here on gradcafe in the same situation.

make that four...

57 minutes ago, Danger_Zone said:

It's perfectly legitimate to ask for a meeting, that is part of the purpose of visiting days. The kind of interaction you have with a potential adviser is a major factor in the decision and, personally, I will not consider committing before such a meeting.  In fact, I requested a meeting with a potential adviser from a department at which I am currently waitlisted (and received a very positive response).

I am in the same boat as far as being accepted and not hearing anything from one of my POIs. I gave it about two weeks, but I think I will be contacting them in the next few days.

Edited by tipmar