Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

MSU notified me on January 26th, Davis on the 30th. I was rejected by Northwestern in early February and received most of my other acceptances (UCSB, SUNY-Albany, Minnesota-Twin Cities) in early February as well. SUNY-Binghamton notified late February, Maryland-College Park early March. I had to contact OSU after everyone else was notified because I didn't hear from them (due to being wait listed for funding, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear from programs when others do--you may be informally wait listed).

Most programs notify in early-mid February. Time is going to fly for you guys.

Taking graduate classes this semester has truly been a great experience and has massively improved my work. The only problem with that is that, looking back at my writing sample, it now seems so entirely undergraduate. The papers I have been writing this semester feel like they are reaching for a whole new level, leaving me very tempted to replace my old writing sample with one of these for the few apps I have left. Alas, it's probably a bad decision, as I still have not received any of these papers back with comments, leaving me unsure if I've actually reached that new level or just seen it off in the clouds and then fallen short of it.

Are you not taking classes this year? I understand the worry then (I am still paranoid about languages—if I don't read Latin for so much as a weekend, half of me starts fearing that the next time I pick up Tacitus or whomever I won't be able to understand a word of it), but reading papers sounds like it will keep you sharp. 

In between terms at my MA I read journal articles or the New Yorker, helped me stay sharp. Now I have a shit ton of research so that keeps me plenty busy. There's always lots of secondary lit in your major field that you can pore over as well.

Don't stress...it's like riding a bike, you may be rusty at first but you'll get it back with some practice in no time.

1 hour ago, ashiepoo72 said:

In between terms at my MA I read journal articles or the New Yorker, helped me stay sharp. Now I have a shit ton of research so that keeps me plenty busy. There's always lots of secondary lit in your major field that you can pore over as well.

I've been trying to stay active by reading articles; I just wish I had the chance to analyze them with peers. But I'm sure you're right that it's not something to stress out about.

On 12/8/2015 at 7:57 PM, stillalivetui said:

A couple months ago a couple of POIs and other faculty at schools I'm applying to showed up as suggested friends on Facebook. It was really strange.

So one of my MA advisers just friended me on Facebook. There is no God.

On 12/7/2015 at 6:38 PM, ashiepoo72 said:

I'm not saying it's related, but my academia.edu profile got way more hits during the interregnum between application deadlines and admissions decisions than any time before.

That's funny. Not ONCE have I had a hit from any of the cities with institutions to which I've applied (my profile's actually a record low with hits). I wonder if my application's being filtered out before it's even investigated?

I keep getting academia.edu hits from everywhere but where I've applied.  I'm starting to wonder if professors are using proxy servers, or if people in Brazil, Italy, and Croatia are really that interested in American Civil War strategy.  To be honest though, I'm just glad that my professors and I aren't the only ones reading those things.

Hi all! I thought I would introduce myself: I am a senior in college, applying to phd programs that are focused on the history of medicine (with a few regular history programs thrown in there). I am currently writing my thesis on Victorian psychiatric practices and the ways in which they were gendered/racialized/classed in Britain and the colonies. 

Mostly, though, I am writing because I have an overwhelming amount of application anxiety! Is anyone else checking their email a thousand times a day? I feel like I am constantly on pins and needles! I can't wait for results (even if they aren't great). 

anxietygirl.  First, you probably have the most appropriate username on this thread.  Second, nothing really happens until the very end of January at the earliest, but if you've got to do something just as unproductive but application related, you can always look at the results for previous years of the programs you've applied to.  I'd bury myself in working on my thesis, so that when results do start rolling in, the massive productivity black hole that is thegradcafe.com isn't stealing too much time from work you actually have control over when it really matters to your thesis.  I certainly wish I'd taken that advice last cycle.  Good luck!

Thanks CvC1780! I just got an email from a POI telling me that she would be in touch "as soon as she knew anything." So I'm expecting an email either this week or next week (YIKES), since she indicated that the review process would begin soon. :o I am out of town on a research grant, so I'm gonna take your advice and throw myself into my thesis work. I recently purchased a coloring book, and it has actually helped tremendously (if anyone else is looking for stress relief) LOL. 

Don't underestimate the power of a good coloring book.

Basically starting any sort of months-long project right now is a perfect distraction from the email checking. I had push notifications set up on my phone so if/when emails showed up I saw almost immediately. Hang in there though!!!

I'd suggest unsubscribing to frivolous emails so you don't flip out every time something comes to your inbox, only to realize it's a Facebook notification.

The waiting game is painful no matter what, but try to keep busy and stay positive or you'll lose your mind.

Last year I set my iPhone to vibrate the start of Beethoven's 5th symphony every time I got an email! I also remember that I had the grad cafe results page bookmarked on my computer. I'm resisting the urge to freak out until later this month though. 

Also, if you're nervous about unsubscribing e-mails, I totally recommend Unroll.me.  It works wonders in cleaning up my e-mail.  Now it bursts to my inbox twice a day with a collection of ... stuff from online stores, Facebook, etc. while all the other e-mails that ping are actually important.

Edited by TMP

I just followed TMP's advice and found the unroll.me process to be quick and painless. I hope it will save me some anxiety while I wait for acceptances/rejections. I just submitted my last application today. Now, I (and we) wait. Good luck everyone.