Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

I just got a (Skype) interview request from Michigan's Interdepartmental Program in Greek and Roman History! It's a nice note to start the responses on, even if it means that I should probably take down the Alexander the Great poster from my wall, lest it come off as a bizarre attempt at ingratiation. 

10 minutes ago, mvlchicago said:

That's fast! Good luck, I bet you did really well. Maria Portuondo seemed very kind when I was thinking about HoS @ Johns Hopkins last year :) 

Side question: I'm visiting a friend in Boston and Providence. Any recommendations for restaurants/bars in Providence?

37 minutes ago, mvlchicago said:

That's fast! Good luck, I bet you did really well. Maria Portuondo seemed very kind when I was thinking about HoS @ Johns Hopkins last year :) 

Thank you! It's tough because they only take two students, but we'll see! I didn't speak with Portuondo, but I talked to about 7 HoM professors and they were all really great. 

36 minutes ago, stillalivetui said:

Side question: I'm visiting a friend in Boston and Providence. Any recommendations for restaurants/bars in Providence?

If you know people at Brown, the Graduate Center Bar has an amazing selection of beers and wines. It's pay to get in without a membership, but grad students can bring in three guests per night!

Beyond that one of my fave coffee spots in the Arcade (New Harvest) also serves quality whiskey. Harry's Burgers and Bar has one of the top sliders in New England if you're into them. There's also a pretty good Korean place on Benefit, although I'd have to imagine Boston has better ones. 

Edited by mvlchicago

Does anyone have any insight into how things work at Claremont?  They only have four core faculty members in the history department on the Claremont Graduate School, but then list a million or so historians in the Claremont Colleges.  I reached out to a historian who does exactly what I'm interested in, and he told me that I would have to talk to one of the four core faculty. I'm going to call over there on Monday and talk to the chair hopefully, but I was curious if any of you have any knowledge about them?

Polishing up the last of my applications today (a lot of HSCI/STS programs have somewhat late deadlines).

You know, I completely relaxed. It's not that I think I'm a shoe-in for programs I'm applying to, but I found the application process far more stressful than waiting for the results. Application results will be the direct result of my preparation, and I've prepared as much as humanly possible at this point. It's up to fate or luck now.

Also, I an email from Drexel today saying I got in. Yipee. I applied to their STS program. However, it's a weird letter. Says I got into the College of Arts and Sciences, with no specific mention about the department, but then provides a link where I can confirm my acceptance (or not). Guess a query or two is in order next week. 

It just occurred to me that my gre scores are really low (well maybe not just, but probably was denying it to myself until now...) so currently preparing myself for rejection as I anxiously wait...

On 1/9/2016 at 11:55 AM, Neist said:

Polishing up the last of my applications today (a lot of HSCI/STS programs have somewhat late deadlines).

You know, I completely relaxed. It's not that I think I'm a shoe-in for programs I'm applying to, but I found the application process far more stressful than waiting for the results. Application results will be the direct result of my preparation, and I've prepared as much as humanly possible at this point. It's up to fate or luck now.

Also, I an email from Drexel today saying I got in. Yipee. I applied to their STS program. However, it's a weird letter. Says I got into the College of Arts and Sciences, with no specific mention about the department, but then provides a link where I can confirm my acceptance (or not). Guess a query or two is in order next week. 

I feel this way too, Neist.

I've applied to PhD. programs before -- once in 2011, whenI also got into a (funded) MA program, and once again last year when I was shut out from the two top-15 programs I applied to.

After spending the year working on various aspects of my CV, and really working my ass off on the 13 applications I've just submitted, I am far less stressed about my chances than when my applications were more of "a wing and a prayer."

I may not get in-- but I know that I've done all I can with the time that I had this year, so, I'm less of a ball of nerves than I expected to be at this point.

Best of luck!

@alainIt ain't over til it's over. Try not to think about the perceived weak spots in your application (I say "perceived" deliberately, because we are our own worst enemies when it comes to criticism) and focus on the strengths. Better yet, try to do something nice for yourself while you wait for results.

Hey all....what do y'all think about emailing POI's? I had an informal chat with one in November, he said sometimes its good to go to lectures held by the department in the spring semester to get yourself known. Would it be weird to check in with him, say something about my thesis and his work, or just check in? Or should I not?

2 minutes ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

Hey all....what do y'all think about emailing POI's? I had an informal chat with one in November, he said sometimes its good to go to lectures held by the department in the spring semester to get yourself known. Would it be weird to check in with him, say something about my thesis and his work, or just check in? Or should I not?

If you're in the area, I don't see why not. You might email him, say you were thinking about what he said during your informal chat (maybe reference a date), and that you'd love to sit in on some lectures and learn more about the program. Ask how the process generally is treated by the department (usually you make plans via the department coordinator) and any other questions you may have. At this point (after applications are submitted/being reviewed), it might come across as lobbying really hard for a slot in their program, but honestly, I'm not sure there's anything wrong with that at all. :) 

16 minutes ago, ashiepoo72 said:

@alainIt ain't over til it's over. Try not to think about the perceived weak spots in your application (I say "perceived" deliberately, because we are our own worst enemies when it comes to criticism) and focus on the strengths. Better yet, try to do something nice for yourself while you wait for results.

you're right. i probably need to distract myself with something rather than refresh my email 100 times a day waiting for emails that won't probably come for another month.

On 1/9/2016 at 8:43 PM, stillalivetui said:

I live in Providence, there are so many great restaurants and bars! I'm partial to The Red Fez on Pine St. in the downtown area. There is a bar called The Scurvy Dog, very punk rock bar, but the tap selection is phenomenal. The Dog is located on Westminster St., farther from downtown but located on the outskirts of the 'very hip' West End. I also like The Parlour, located on North Main St., on the East Side. It can be a little more low-key, depending on the night you go. The Parlour does karaoke, and hosts a lot of local music. All three locations offer food, but the Fez has the best food. 

1 hour ago, betwixt&between said:

I live in Providence, there are so many great restaurants and bars! I'm partial to The Red Fez on Pine St. in the downtown area. There is a bar called The Scurvy Dog, very punk rock bar, but the tap selection is phenomenal. The Dog is located on Westminster St., farther from downtown but located on the outskirts of the 'very hip' West End. I also like The Parlour, located on North Main St., on the East Side. It can be a little more low-key, depending on the night you go. The Parlour does karaoke, and hosts a lot of local music. All three locations offer food, but the Fez has the best food. 

*takes notes*

Is the request for interview with POI at JHU just part of that particular institution's process? In other words, does everyone get one? My POI there scheduled one with me too.

Yes, this is me asking "Does this mean anything???!!" I'm hopelessly typical. A child waiting anxiously, bouncing on her toes, saying, "Ooh goody, goody!" 

Interviews generally indicate some level of interest: it's difficult to generalize beyond "they like the idea of you enough to spend a couple hours chatting with you." You definitely got past some level of applications, so hang in there :) .

Hello all! this looks like a great place in general and a spot for my first post. I--like most of you--am beginning the cycle. I am looking at Environmental History programs and like looking at the interaction between man and the land and what land use decisions have meant for both. I am cut from a bit of a different cloth from a CV standpoint, and while some may see it as a weakness I am hoping that some see it as an asset. Undergrad I studied liberal arts with minors in History and Philosophy. I am currently in a MSc Environmental Science program (luckily with funding). My V is good (94%) and quant not no much (48%) ugrad 3.88 grad 4.0. I am hoping that someone at a top notch program will see the value the MS brings to historical analysis. I also have worked in the Environmental Science realm in a socio-economic context. I have TA'd and am a research assistant at a research institute.

Professionally I might have a different experience as I was a floor trader in Chicago for a decade then an advisor before going back to school. For those considering Environmental History there are some good resources here: www.aseh.net That is were I started my list of possibles which include Brown, Yale, Harvard, Northwestern, Oregon, GTown, UC Boulder, UC davis/berk. Also on the list are U Chicago and Princeton for other reasons. This list will get cut down to probably 4-7 apps. I have a number one choice (for now) and have reached out to a few professors.

I am in a position where I can probably continue on with my current institution in a favorable position, and I will be happy however this all shakes out as I would be happy to continue here if that is the upshot of all this. However that would keep me more in the sciences. That is part of the reason why I plan to limit my number of apps, as something is going to have to be pretty compelling for me to go. Also I am a little weary of the process having both gone though the MS admissions and Law School Apps (had some success and partial funding but I didn't want to borrow the diff)only a year and a half ago.

In any case, I look forward to reading more from you all and thank you in advance for your help! Anyone who has suggestions regarding professors I might want to research at these (or other) institutions I would love to hear it. This thread has already given me ideas (i.e. Michael McCormick) so thank you.

Regards,

QM

Edited by Quickmick

On 1/12/2016 at 7:38 PM, mvlchicago said:

*takes notes*

Glad to be of assistance! Let me ask you a practical question. How long did you have to wait to receive notification from Brown? The grad school website said 4-8 weeks from application deadline. I'm at week six, and haven't heard a peep!

2 hours ago, betwixt&between said:

Glad to be of assistance! Let me ask you a practical question. How long did you have to wait to receive notification from Brown? The grad school website said 4-8 weeks from application deadline. I'm at week six, and haven't heard a peep!

Brown was actually the only school from which I was 100% sure I was rejected because I heard not a thing until February 10. The email I received said "Decision Made," and linked me to a portal on their site. I was quite pleased to find out I was completely wrong.

So, y'know, try very hard not to stress about it. 

Edited by mvlchicago