Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

Just contacted by Graduate Administrator at Yale. They would like to transfer my application to the masters program in European and Russian studies. Can't say I didn't see it coming, but still disappointed. 

Does anyone know why I wasn't just considered for the department's MA program? 

Edited by DGrayson

43 minutes ago, DGrayson said:

Just contacted by Graduate Administrator at Yale. They would like to transfer my application to the masters program in European and Russian studies. Can't say I didn't see it coming, but still disappointed. 

Oh! dang... hang in there!

Has Yale sent out any admits/rejects to the PhD program?

5 minutes ago, betwixt&between said:

Hi friends! Have any Brown applicants received notification yet?

I sincerely hope not! :) @telkanuru mentioned that the short list has already been finalized and that acceptances should be making their way around sometime this or next week. I've checked my application status twice this week just in case. 

2 hours ago, RamyaS said:

Oh! dang... hang in there!

Has Yale sent out any admits/rejects to the PhD program?

Someone else was offered the same deal as I was, otherwise no I haven't seen anything. 

12 minutes ago, DGrayson said:

I sincerely hope not! :) @telkanuru mentioned that the short list has already been finalized and that acceptances should be making their way around sometime this or next week. I've checked my application status twice this week just in case. 

Next week is shaping up to be rather eventful.

8 hours ago, stillalivetui said:

Sorry! What program were you rejected to?

Hi, sorry if I wasn't clear. I was rejected from Columbia's Ph.D. in History program but offered to transfer my application to the Masters in East Asian Literature and Culture program.

9 minutes ago, fencergirl said:

Hi, sorry if I wasn't clear. I was rejected from Columbia's Ph.D. in History program but offered to transfer my application to the Masters in East Asian Literature and Culture program.

That's rough. But congrats on your Northwestern offer! Fantastic program, and Chicago is amazing.

Just now, stillalivetui said:

That's rough. But congrats on your Northwestern offer! Fantastic program, and Chicago is amazing.

Thanks :) Northwestern was my number one choice anyway so I am not broken up. I did want to see what would happen and I would have at least considered it had I been accepted but don't think I ultimately would've chosen it over Northwestern. My main POI would likely retire before I finished the program so perhaps not the best fit. But of course, it's very competitive and a great program regardless!

24 minutes ago, fencergirl said:

Thanks :) Northwestern was my number one choice anyway so I am not broken up. I did want to see what would happen and I would have at least considered it had I been accepted but don't think I ultimately would've chosen it over Northwestern. My main POI would likely retire before I finished the program so perhaps not the best fit. But of course, it's very competitive and a great program regardless!

Congratulations on getting into your first choice! :) Good luck to everyone, and I really hope people get into their top choices! 

My Columbia and Yale applications have no messages. I'm so bored of waiting for them to turn me down. 

11 minutes ago, RamyaS said:

My Columbia and Yale applications have no messages. I'm so bored of waiting for them to turn me down. 

Same here!! I'm so tired of waiting for the inevitable--I will feel such peace when I've heard back from all 8 schools.

51 minutes ago, stillalivetui said:

I noticed that as well--which is why I found it weird that @fencergirl had received word so early.

Maybe it's because they wanted to consider me (psh, wanted ME to consider THEM) for the EALC M.A. program? I didn't see a wealth of other rejections on the page either. Or they just really didn't like me lol.

17 minutes ago, wluhopeful said:

@kmr I didn't apply specifically to a joint program, but I received an interview offer from Penn State yesterday and they referred me to their joint History-Women's Studies program.  Where are you looking?

I've applied to Penn (which I'm assuming is a reject since I didn't get an interview), Johns Hopkins, and William and Mary for History. For H/WS, I applied to Michigan's joint program (which I am literally a perfect fit for, even if they only accept 2 students a year). So far, I'm regretting not applying to more places, but I've been more focused on finishing up the MA. I'm more upset that I didn't cast my net wider when I did this the first time out of UG.

7 hours ago, DGrayson said:

The Euro + Russian Studies program has way more funding available than the Yale history masters program. I would take that as a "soft" no (as in, they want to keep you around and want to give you as much money as they can to do such.)

4 hours ago, betwixt&between said:

Hi friends! Have any Brown applicants received notification yet?

I would expect these to come out next week. I was talking to faculty today and someone mentioned not having the time to make phone calls, so I think it'll just be the email once the Grad School finalizes/officiates the history department's offers.

Edited by mvlchicago

11 hours ago, kmr said:

Just curious - did anyone else apply to joint programs? I applied to both straight History programs and History and Women's/Gender Studies programs, personally.

I'm applying to a joint history of science and MLIS program.

10 hours ago, kmr said:

I've applied to Penn (which I'm assuming is a reject since I didn't get an interview), Johns Hopkins, and William and Mary for History. For H/WS, I applied to Michigan's joint program (which I am literally a perfect fit for, even if they only accept 2 students a year). So far, I'm regretting not applying to more places, but I've been more focused on finishing up the MA. I'm more upset that I didn't cast my net wider when I did this the first time out of UG.

I wouldn't overthink it too much. I'm only applying to 5 programs, but those programs are good fits for my reasonably obscure interests. Could I have applied to other amazing programs and probably gotten in? I probably could have, but I want to be in one of these five programs.

There's always next year, worst case scenario.