Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

Turned down by Michigan and Princeton in the same week. Not too hopeful.

38 minutes ago, insidethesun said:

Yes, Harvard has sent them out.

Do you know whether this applies to the History and East Asian Languages program too? Thanks!

5 minutes ago, tenemental said:

I only see one admit on the results page. Are you sure they all went out, or maybe limited offers were sent out?

No, I am not sure they all went out. Some have went out.

Edited by insidethesun
Edited previous comment to clarify

Can anyone comment on the funding situation at UCSD? Are people normally offered 5 years of funding? Their website indicates that international applicants may be offered less funding than USA citizens. Any experience with that?

3 hours ago, rushistory said:

Me, I've heard absolutely nothing form NYU. Nothing from POI, not rejected, not accepted, not waitlisted, silence...was actually looking forward to getting rejected when I saw the rejections up on the board because at least I would have an answer.

I haven't heard anything from NYU either-- mysterious! 

20 minutes ago, raran said:

I haven't heard anything from NYU either-- mysterious! 

Me neither, though I already know from a POI that I was rejected. I'm wondering if this could have something to do with being offered/ recommended for an MA. 

43 minutes ago, tipmar said:

Can anyone comment on the funding situation at UCSD? Are people normally offered 5 years of funding? Their website indicates that international applicants may be offered less funding than USA citizens. Any experience with that?

The info I have from another department (so make of that what you will) is that internationals are prohibitively expensive, so if they can afford you in the first place it gets tricky for anything really substantial. That might not help at all, but a harsh reality. 

47 minutes ago, tipmar said:

I don't know anything for sure, but it seems that $17k - $21k is the base offer for UC schools. Looking at the funding page of their site, it looks the amount of money/time just depends on how badly they want you (http://history.ucsd.edu/graduate/financial.html). 

1 minute ago, Slagatha said:

The info I have from another department (so make of that what you will) is that internationals are prohibitively expensive, so if they can afford you in the first place it gets tricky for anything really substantial. That might not help at all, but a harsh reality. 

Thanks, that does help! I do know internationals are significantly more expensive for state schools but almost all schools I've applied to claim to not take that as a consideration. UCSD is the only exception - I guess its good that they are straightforward about it

I'll be lowering expectations. . 

1 hour ago, tipmar said:

Did you receive an admittance letter from UCSD? Just asking because I am waiting to hear from them

11 minutes ago, RamyaS said:

Has Columbia sent out acceptances?

Seems that a few folks have been interviewed, and one was rejected for the PhD. and referred to an MA program. It doesn't seem to me to be in great enough numbers to suggest that these have been systematic responses by the department--anyone want to chime in?

6 minutes ago, emmabear said:

Did you receive an admittance letter from UCSD? Just asking because I am waiting to hear from them

Nope, just asking in general. Trying to assess my chances. 

Edited by tipmar

28 minutes ago, tipmar said:

Thanks, that does help! I do know internationals are significantly more expensive for state schools but almost all schools I've applied to claim to not take that as a consideration. UCSD is the only exception - I guess its good that they are straightforward about it

I'll be lowering expectations. . 

Yeah, it's a tough one! My folks admit around 6 students per year afaik, but of that only 1-2 international. So... not a consideration, but actually a consideration. 

8 minutes ago, meo03 said:

Seems that a few folks have been interviewed, and one was rejected for the PhD. and referred to an MA program. It doesn't seem to me to be in great enough numbers to suggest that these have been systematic responses by the department--anyone want to chime in?

I was interviewed but didn't hear back, sadly. Hoping we hear back this week. They notified this time last year. 

1 minute ago, alain said:

I was interviewed but didn't hear back, sadly. Hoping we hear back this week. They notified this time last year. 

Ah, well, I'm not sure if you would hear back before they send out acceptances. And you're right; Columbia seems to be very consistent with sending out acceptances in the second week of February. Eek.

Good luck! What is your focus?

8 minutes ago, stillalivetui said:

I'm surprised Chicago and Columbia haven't sent out notifications yet. Last I heard, Chicago already made their shortlist. 

Really? I'm waiting on Chicago and Columbia also....errr

For those of you admitted elsewhere, does your status change online?

On 2/4/2016 at 2:38 PM, alain said:

I'm also still wondering about this. They seem to send their rejections really late though, so it's hard to know. I wonder when their recruitment weekend is. I imagine if you dont get an invite before then, it's over. 

Yup, they are.  Prospective Student Weekend is next week.  I suppose any admissions from here on will be off the waitlist.  Word on the grapevine is that some of the joint programs have not finalized their decisions though.