Fall 2016 MFA

kurtango

29 minutes ago, chamsee22 said:

They had to have, right? I think 2/17 is their deadline for receiving transcripts, app $, etc., from round 2 applicants--or so it says on their site. Or is that outdated info?

I just did a search and looks like acceptances usually go out around the second week of March. I highly doubt any acceptances have gone out yet. Makes sense too: they have to go over the applications post-deadline, and they also likely have to confirm funding (which often involves the graduate school).

On 2/21/2016 at 5:30 PM, rosebud831 said:

Heard back with an acceptance to CalArts! This whole process is so nerve wracking. If I had to do it all over again, I would do so many things differently. I feel like I will handle rejections better with this acceptance under my belt. 

Still waiting to hear from Rutgers, U of New Orleans, U of Washington, Boston U, and Iowa Non-fiction. 

Hope everyone is weathering the wait alright. Sending good thoughts everyone's way! 

Congrats on CalArts! How were you notified? 

(also, hi folks, just joined but frequent lurker, in at WashU with funding so far in nonfiction, waiting to hear back from Arizona, CalArts, Columbia, Iowa, and Columbia College Chicago)

On 2/22/2016 at 3:49 PM, apines said:

(also, hi folks, just joined but frequent lurker, in at Wash U with funding so far in nonfiction, waiting to hear back from Arizona, CalArts, Columbia, Iowa, and Columbia College Chicago)

Huge congrats on the WashU acceptance -- great program with great funding!

Was this the longest Monday in the history of Mondays or what?! Were there not more entries on the results page on Valentine's Day, which was on a SUNDAY?! This waiting business has made me silly, irritable, restless...I've been responding in all caps to friends sending me routine e-mails: AM I DONE HEARING FROM SCHOOLS? IS THE APOCALYPSE IMPENDING? DID SOMEBODY DIE? WHY ARE YOU SENDING ME THIS USELESS STUFF?! 

10 minutes ago, holycat said:

Was this the longest Monday in the history of Mondays or what?! Were there not more entries on the results page on Valentine's Day, which was on a SUNDAY?! This waiting business has made me silly, irritable, restless...I've been responding in all caps to friends sending me routine e-mails: AM I DONE HEARING FROM SCHOOLS? IS THE APOCALYPSE IMPENDING? DID SOMEBODY DIE? WHY ARE YOU SENDING ME THIS USELESS STUFF?! 

Yeah, for some reason it feels like things should be finishing up--but, actually, less than half of my schools have accepted anyone. I'm waiting on 3 schools that have already reported by now in previous years. I feel like it is only unhealthy though. Like, if they show up int he results and I don't get in it isn't going to make me feel better. Eh. I really wish I had a funded spot already so I could feel less stressed about this. Blah.

2 minutes ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

Yeah, for some reason it feels like things should be finishing up--but, actually, less than half of my schools have accepted anyone. I'm waiting on 3 schools that have already reported by now in previous years. I feel like it is only unhealthy though. Like, if they show up int he results and I don't get in it isn't going to make me feel better. Eh. I really wish I had a funded spot already so I could feel less stressed about this. Blah.

Fingers crossed for you. For me, it's about a longstanding addiction to crossing things off my lists. Can't get my high because it's all out of my hands. :angry: 

OR: I could also be using this to justify not being as productive as I should be. :-P

17 minutes ago, holycat said:

Fingers crossed for you. For me, it's about a longstanding addiction to crossing things off my lists. Can't get my high because it's all out of my hands. :angry: 

OR: I could also be using this to justify not being as productive as I should be. :-P

I am also into crossing things off of the list! I do wish I was crossing them off in the context of a funded acceptance. :unsure:

Thanks for the crossed fingers! Crossing mine for you as well! 

7 minutes ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

I am also into crossing things off of the list! I do wish I was crossing them off in the context of a funded acceptance. :unsure:

Thanks for the crossed fingers! Crossing mine for you as well! 

Thank you! Saw that you applied to NYU as well. I think it's secretly my first choice. If they don't notify this week, it's gonna be one heck of a frightening weekend ahead.

8 hours ago, apines said:

(also, hi folks, just joined but frequent lurker, in at Wash U with funding so far in nonfiction, waiting to hear back from Arizona, CalArts, Columbia, Iowa, and Columbia College Chicago)

Thank you! I was sent an email letting me know a decision had been made and to check my application. I was also sent a financial aid letter today (via the CalArts hub). Hope you hear from them soon with good news! 

8 hours ago, holycat said:

Thank you! Saw that you applied to NYU as well. I think it's secretly my first choice. If they don't notify this week, it's gonna be one heck of a frightening weekend ahead.

Yeah, if I got good funding there it'd be one of my top choices. I feel that way about Rutgers - Newark too. 

5 hours ago, rosebud831 said:

Thank you! I was sent an email letting me know a decision had been made and to check my application. I was also sent a financial aid letter today (via the CalArts hub). Hope you hear from them soon with good news! 

Congrats on the CalArts acceptance! They have awesome faculty. Also, they just hired Brian Evenson!

11 hours ago, holycat said:

Also, worried about the large number of "half tuition" fellowships they give out. Getting one of those will basically be like getting a rejection. Sigh.

Hi y'all,

So I'm officially losing my shit. Just saw the first Cornell waitlist posted on the results page and I can't handle it like...at all. Hopefully this bodes well for the day. Any other Cornell applicants waiting with bated breath? :unsure:

26 minutes ago, deadpoet123 said:

Hi y'all,

So I'm officially losing my shit. Just saw the first Cornell waitlist posted on the results page and I can't handle it like...at all. Hopefully this bodes well for the day. Any other Cornell applicants waiting with bated breath? :unsure:

Yep, just saw that also. Also, the Michigan waitlists just went out. I applied to both. Bleh.

Based on previous years it seems rejections often go out from Cornell on the same day as waitlists. So we'll likely have a final verdict on our status at Cornell soon.

Edited by FalloutCoversEverything

15 minutes ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

Yep, just saw that also. Also, the Michigan waitlists just went out. I applied to both. Bleh.

Based on previous years it seems rejections often go out from Cornell on the same day as waitlists. So we'll likely have a final verdict on our status at Cornell soon.

IS THERE NO MERCY IN THIS WORLD?! What a long day. Well, hopefully we'll meet in Ithaca, haha! I just saw a rejection, so I'm hoping they did a mail merge all at once and I don't have to worry about receiving a sad email if I haven't gotten one yet...

Edited by deadpoet123

26 minutes ago, deadpoet123 said:

IS THERE NO MERCY IN THIS WORLD?! What a long day. Well, hopefully we'll meet in Ithaca, haha! I just saw a rejection, so I'm hoping they did a mail merge all at once and I don't have to worry about receiving a sad email if I haven't gotten one yet...

That would be nice since I haven't been rejected yet either =)

16 hours ago, holycat said:

Just wanted to say LOL to this whole thing.

So I think the first/second week of March is when JHU and Brown notified in the past... I will be getting NOTHING done this time next week.

5 hours ago, deadpoet123 said:

Hi y'all,

Now I'm thinking they've only rejected the joint MFA/PHD applicants at this point. I could be wrong.

2 hours ago, Radesky said:

Can we assume that Michigan does the standard acceptance/waitlist/rejection roll out, assuming that we're just waiting on only rejections now?

And if so...sigh :\

Looks that way. =(

14 minutes ago, lunardanse said:

HEY IF YOU GOT ACCEPTED TO U OF ARIZONA POETRY & ARENT GOING PLEASE TELL THEM. I've been waitlisted and I wanna go so badly.

Congrats on the waitlist! Fingers crossed for you!

1 minute ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

Now I'm thinking they've only rejected the joint MFA/PHD applicants at this point. I could be wrong.

Looks that way. =(

Congrats on the waitlist! Fingers crossed for you!

Thanks! I need all the luck I can get!

1 hour ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:
3 hours ago, Radesky said:

Can we assume that Michigan does the standard acceptance/waitlist/rejection roll out, assuming that we're just waiting on only rejections now?

And if so...sigh :\

Looks that way. =(

Oh, le sigh.... they were my hopeful, as I tend to write toward a speculative/weird bent and one of their (assistant) professor's interests is speculative fiction and she got to write that on her profile (!!!) I figured they might actually be okay with literary weird/speculative writing. <--yeah, run-on, I know. It's that kind of day.

I'ma just going to go take a bath and cry a little.

(One of the local library reading groups is discussing Ann Leckie's "Ancillary Justice" later this week, so I have *something* to look forward to at least because it ain't going to be an acceptance.)

20 minutes ago, Kiri-same said:

Oh, le sigh.... they were my hopeful, as I tend to write toward a speculative/weird bent and one of their (assistant) professor's interests is speculative fiction and she got to write that on her profile (!!!) I figured they might actually be okay with literary weird/speculative writing. <--yeah, run-on, I know. It's that kind of day.

I'ma just going to go take a bath and cry a little.

(One of the local library reading groups is discussing Ann Leckie's "Ancillary Justice" later this week, so I have *something* to look forward to at least because it ain't going to be an acceptance.)

You never know--they might not have been one of the primary readers this year, depending on how they do things. I wouldn't let it stop you from applying next year if you have to. It's often a crap shoot.

I saw the UC Riverside notification and thought, oops, I suppose I should cross that off my list. Just trying to help redefine defeatism there...

You guys! I found a thing that helped me not check the results page for, like, 30 minutes! Travel research! Google Flights has this thing where you can enter a continent as your destination and it would bring up a map showing prices for different cities for a given period of time. You should totally do it! lol. Or just find the thing you love so much/find easy to obsess over. If you're crushing hard on someone, for example, this is the time to put that excess energy to use -- internet-stalk the heck out of them (but make sure to keep the guilt or it would be seriously worrisome)!