Fall 2016 MFA

kurtango

6 hours ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

Well, I just got my Michigan rejection. 

I'm sorry to hear that, but at least you can officially cross them off your list. Waiting for them to send mine so I can do the same. 

I honestly feel sort of foolish for wasting my money applying to xs programs like Michigan. Oh well, live and learn, I guess. 

I'm torn about what I want to do this year. Out of the eight schools I've applied to, I've heard back from two so far (1a/1r/0w), and I'm starting to feel like that one acceptance will be the only one I'll receive this year. I'm obviously interested in the program (or else I wouldn't have applied), but after spending so many time on MFA forums this year, I've discovered a number of schools I'm extremely interested in but didn't apply to this round.

I really don't want to wait around for another year, but I don't want to go to a school that I'm not head-over-heels for either. A year would give me enough time to bump up my resume and completely rework my portfolio. On the flip side, there's always the chance that I would get rejected from everywhere I apply next year. 

Please tell me I'm not the only one with this problem. 

3 hours ago, DangerDetective said:

Don't get down, buddy. These things don't mean that you're not good. That's something we'll all have to learn. The first step in recovery is to find an abandoned mine and howl out your rage deep within the bowels of the Earth until the Hardy Boys come to investigate the Spectre of Willbertsonson's Hollow.

I don't feel down about it. I had already crossed them off the list given that acceptances and waitlists have already gone out.

Very much hoping for some good news this week.

You think they're all done? Could go into tomorrow. 

6 minutes ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

There goes the NYU acceptances as well. I wasn't banking too much on NYU, given that it isn't fully funded. But I also like the program so much that if I did somehow manage to get a funded admit there it would have been my top choice. Sigh. Shrug.

27 minutes ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

There goes the NYU acceptances as well. I wasn't banking too much on NYU, given that it isn't fully funded. But I also like the program so much that if I did somehow manage to get a funded admit there it would have been my top choice. Sigh. Shrug.

I second @NYCWriter93. It's a relatively large program; I don't see the director making all those calls in a day. Don't lose hope just yet. I got lucky and got in, by the way. Waiting for e-mails re: $$.

Are you sure about the lack of full funding, by the way? I thought they had some fully funded slots; at least that's what their website says. Of course we know "fully funded" isn't what it sounds like for most programs (certainly won't be for NYC!), but still, they claim to offer full tuition + "generous" stipends to some candidates. They also have a few fellowships. We shall see, I suppose.

42 minutes ago, holycat said:

They claim to offer full tuition + "generous" stipends to some candidates. They also have a few fellowships

But living in NYC could be expensive, half tuition without stipends could be painful...nevertheless, I haven't heard from them yet, and if NYU was the all I got, I definitely would go there. : )

1 hour ago, holycat said:

I second @NYCWriter93. It's a relatively large program; I don't see the director making all those calls in a day. Don't lose hope just yet. I got lucky and got in, by the way. Waiting for e-mails re: $$.

Are you sure about the lack of full funding, by the way? I thought they had some fully funded slots; at least that's what their website says. Of course we know "fully funded" isn't what it sounds like for most programs (certainly won't be for NYC!), but still, they claim to offer full tuition + "generous" stipends to some candidates. They also have a few fellowships. We shall see, I suppose.

Congrats on the admit! Hopefully it comes with funding!

They do say they have some fellowships, but they seem to give out just as many "half tuition scholarships."

11 minutes ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

Congrats on the admit! Hopefully it comes with funding!

They do say they have some fellowships, but they seem to give out just as many "half tuition scholarships."

Thanks! I hope so, but I honestly no longer know the point of hoping. I know deep down that none of the NYC schools I have applied to will give enough $$ to avoid taking out considerably high loans. There's also the matter of a great offer I have from a great Program elsewhere. The more I correspond with folks at that Program, the more torn I'm feeling about wanting to go to NYC. I suppose I've had my mind stuck on NYC for a long time and I'm hoping against hope for a miracle. :rolleyes:

59 minutes ago, chamsee22 said:

Congrats @holycat!!  I hope you get funding but if not you can always go to NYC post-mfa. It'll still be there, waiting for you! 

I just wanted to do it on someone else's dime since I expect to move to "the boonies" post-MFA due to extreme poverty. :P 

Thank you! 

9 hours ago, holycat said:

Thanks! I hope so, but I honestly no longer know the point of hoping. I know deep down that none of the NYC schools I have applied to will give enough $$ to avoid taking out considerably high loans. There's also the matter of a great offer I have from a great Program elsewhere. The more I correspond with folks at that Program, the more torn I'm feeling about wanting to go to NYC. I suppose I've had my mind stuck on NYC for a long time and I'm hoping against hope for a miracle. :rolleyes:

Congrats on the funded admit! Yeah, I mean, you're better off going where the best/most-sustainable living situation is. But, if you do get funding at NYU, also do seriously consider the faculty. That matters too. 

On 2/29/2016 at 9:43 AM, gaudysideoftown said:

Is anyone still waiting to hear from Michigan?! It seems like everyone has heard back by now, and then there's me. Maybe I should contact them today or tomorrow. 

@gaudysideoftown, have you heard from Michigan? 

Everyone else - what's the rationale behind staggering rejection letters? I'm not familiar with the selection process, but it seems odd to send out a batch of rejections without rejecting everyone.

6 minutes ago, DangerDetective said:

@gaudysideoftown, have you heard from Michigan? 

Everyone else - what's the rationale behind staggering rejection letters? I'm not familiar with the selection process, but it seems odd to send out a batch of rejections without rejecting everyone.

I decided to give it a few more days before contacting them. I'm assuming they're sending them out by alphabetical order or something like that. 

I would also like to know about the staggering rejection letters. Someone was waitlisted nearly a month ago at one of the schools I applied to. You'd think waitlist = no more acceptances, right? Still haven't heard back from them or the majority of the other places I applied to. 

Just now, gaudysideoftown said:

I decided to give it a few more days before contacting them. I'm assuming they're sending them out by alphabetical order or something like that. 

I would also like to know about the staggering rejection letters. Someone was waitlisted nearly a month ago at one of the schools I applied to. You'd think waitlist = no more acceptances, right? Still haven't heard back from them or the majority of the other places I applied to. 

My last name ends with Y. As in "Y the hell am I holding out hope for this."

It does seem a little cruel. I'd rather smash my false hope than let it grow into false expectation. 

On 2/29/2016 at 11:43 AM, gaudysideoftown said:

Is anyone still waiting to hear from Michigan?! It seems like everyone has heard back by now, and then there's me. Maybe I should contact them today or tomorrow. 

I'm still waiting to hear from Michigan, too. Wondering why it's so difficult for them to send the R when they've already sent a bunch of them. Grrr. Anyway, you're not alone in the waiting :)

35 minutes ago, Kiri-same said:

I'm still waiting to hear from Michigan, too. Wondering why it's so difficult for them to send the R when they've already sent a bunch of them. Grrr. Anyway, you're not alone in the waiting :)

Maybe it's some nonsense where someone in the office has to type in the emails one by one for some bureaucratic / technological reason? I feel sad for whoever has to do that work--like, come on, just write a mass rejection email and send it out. Office people in academic settings already have enough other nonsense to deal with.

8 minutes ago, Challenger1992 said:

Hey guys! Donald Trump is winning! It weirdly helped that there are worse things happening in this country than snail paced MFA admission results! 

Yeah, I've definately spent more time worrying about that the last few days than I have worrying about applications.