Fall 2016 MFA

kurtango

First, congratulations and best wishes to everyone! Incessant lurker and first-time MFA applicant here, and let me tell you--my nerves are driving me up a wall. As if the nail biting and the nausea and the insomnia weren't enough, I'm going to fuel the neurosis even more so in the hopes of maybe getting some feedback?

I have my heart pretty hung up on NYC. I got an acceptance letter from Sarah Lawrence College, but I was fingercrossing so hard for NYU or Columbia U. No word from either yet, but I saw that NYU sent out acceptance letters this week. Be still my beating heart, but is NYU a closed case now? Do the lot of us have to float around in chat forums until we're jackhammered with rejection letters that are already set in stone? When does NYU notify applicants if they're waitlisted?

1 hour ago, gratzby said:

I had an acceptance from Seattle. Rejected from Syracuse and Ole Miss (Syracuse by email, Ole Miss just said if you don't hear by early February don't wait up :S), still waiting on Brown, NYU, and SDSU.

Congrats on the acceptance! Exciting! Fun place to live too!

23 minutes ago, qua said:

First, congratulations and best wishes to everyone! Incessant lurker and first-time MFA applicant here, and let me tell you--my nerves are driving me up a wall. As if the nail biting and the nausea and the insomnia weren't enough, I'm going to fuel the neurosis even more so in the hopes of maybe getting some feedback?

I have my heart pretty hung up on NYC. I got an acceptance letter from Sarah Lawrence College, but I was fingercrossing so hard for NYU or Columbia U. No word from either yet, but I saw that NYU sent out acceptance letters this week. Be still my beating heart, but is NYU a closed case now? Do the lot of us have to float around in chat forums until we're jackhammered with rejection letters that are already set in stone? When does NYU notify applicants if they're waitlisted?

NYU probably has contacted most people but they do tend to spread their acceptances over a handful of days. Waitlists seem to come a week or two later. I highly doubt the waitlist positions get any real funding. Columbia still has to notify. 

My thought on this post is: you might want to consider applying again next year? (Unless you get full funding with a stipend from Columbia, which I hope you do! Or maybe you already have funding from Sarah Lawrence?) Like, I get that NYC sounds good, but it is probably the worst place to get an MFA. All of the programs are poorly funded. Unless one gets one of a handful of fellowships and teaching assistantships you're going to pay way too much for an art degree--especially when there are so, so many programs out there that do fund people. Rutgers -- Newark might be an option (it's now fully funded and has amazing faculty) if you absolutely have to do your MFA in NYC. But, I don't know, unless you have a significant other who also has to live in NYC the programs there are really a rip off. Even if you get full tuition remission the cost of living in NYC still makes a two year program cost 40k or more. Very few people get those free rides. I also say this as someone who applied to Columbia, NYU, and Rutgers. I also almost applied to Hunter/Brooklyn. I'm applying because my partner is thinking about relocating there for a job, so it makes sense. That said, even given that, I won't go without funding. There is no reason to pay 100k for an art degree. 50k even. Hell, 10K. Especially when there are programs that fully cover everything and give stipends. Anyway, I hope you don't feel offended by this (again, I applied to these programs also)--but yeah, don't go without funding.  

Edited by FalloutCoversEverything

This is Hunter's first year as a fully-funded program.

Perhaps next year they will have even more to offer, like stipends, but I'm excited because I applied without knowing this and was told over the phone by Donna Masini about my acceptance and how selective they were in choosing only seven poets, and then she dropped the fully-funded bomb on me and I couldn't believe it. Hunter has a strong MFA program. People are right when they say NYC is expensive, that's why you go to the boroughs, OR, here's an example: a three bedroom apt is available right now on the edge of Harlem, split between three people it's like 370 bucks. Imma make this happen. People can make it work. Five floor walk ups never bothered me! 

17 minutes ago, kmacc84 said:

Perhaps next year they will have even more to offer, like stipends, but I'm excited because I applied without knowing this and was told over the phone by Donna Masini about my acceptance and how selective they were in choosing only seven poets, and then she dropped the fully-funded bomb on me and I couldn't believe it. Hunter has a strong MFA program. People are right when they say NYC is expensive, that's why you go to the boroughs, OR, here's an example: a three bedroom apt is available right now on the edge of Harlem, split between three people it's like 370 bucks. Imma make this happen. People can make it work. Five floor walk ups never bothered me! 

That's awesome--huge news that they are fully funded now. I didn't know that was the case, otherwise I would have applied. Yeah, the program looks great. Congrats!!!!

My point above was that NYU/Columbia aren't. It's great that there are now 2 programs in the area that are fully funded though. I'm not saying you can't make it work. I am saying it isn't worth taking out a huge loan when there are so many fully funded programs.

Edited by FalloutCoversEverything

How does everyone else handle the terrible waiting when you know other people have been accepted to programs you applied to and now you just have to hold out for the official rejection.....

It's like having a partner who is acting distant and canceling plans and you just want them to hurry up and break up with you already. 

2 minutes ago, rosebud831 said:

How does everyone else handle the terrible waiting when you know other people have been accepted to programs you applied to and now you just have to hold out for the official rejection.....

It's like having a partner who is acting distant and canceling plans and you just want them to hurry up and break up with you already. 

me irl

image.gif

2 hours ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

That's awesome--huge news that they are fully funded now. I didn't know that was the case, otherwise I would have applied. Yeah, the program looks great. Congrats!!!!

My point above was that NYU/Columbia aren't. It's great that there are now 2 programs in the area that are fully funded though. I'm not saying you can't make it work. I am saying it isn't worth taking out a huge loan when there are so many fully funded programs.

Yes, if you can avoid debt, DO IT. I was about to accept an offer to a school that would have set me back like 40,000 bucks, it felt really unfair, but my options were limited. So, one more awesome MFA program that will be fully funded. Hunter is rising in the ranks, though their MFA program has always had a good reputation. This is going to attract a lot more applicants, bar will be raised, things are changing I guess!

So, here's a strange phenomenon I'm observing in myself...or is it familiar?

I applied to eleven schools. I've only heard from four so far. While I wait for the others, the folks from the one school that has so far offered me full funding are growing on me so much...so so much that I'm kind of secretly wishing for the seven outstanding Programs to either reject me or offer me less than what this school is putting forth. Just so that I don't have to decline. I can't figure out if this is either due to my ineptitude at managing relationships (I once kept on dating someone for months and months because I didn't want to break their heart) or if it is some complex subconscious operation to protect myself from oncoming heartbreak via rejections. :unsure:

10 minutes ago, holycat said:

I applied to eleven schools. I've only heard from four so far. While I wait for the others, the folks from the one school that has so far offered me full funding are growing on me so much...so so much that I'm kind of secretly wishing for the seven outstanding Programs to either reject me or offer me less than what this school is putting forth. Just so that I don't have to decline. I can't figure out if this is either due to my ineptitude at managing relationships (I once kept on dating someone for months and months because I didn't want to break their heart) or if it is some complex subconscious operation to protect myself from oncoming heartbreak via rejections. :unsure:

First self-quoting post of the thread? Ah well...

THIRD [AND VERY IMPORTANT] POSSIBILITY: that I actually love the Program for legit reasons! 

5 hours ago, holycat said:

I feel like this is ultimately an issue of scarcity. But it might be good--like, there's probably a reason you got into that specific program. If you get into another one, there will be a reason for that as well. I feel very positive about the program I got into--I LOVE the faculty there. That said, there are still places I'd like to get into.

I'm so, so happy to have a place to go to though. I do feel a bit weird though because I was already getting into I'm going to try again next year mode. Like I started compiling places to apply for new/different jobs, etc. (I need to get out of my current employment situation). Anyway, stopped doing that. Now I'm just waiting to see if I get any other offers. Either way, I'm excited to have something to move on to. Yay!

9 hours ago, kmacc84 said:

I skimmed over the part about them not offering stipends. I consider fully funded to be tuition + stipend. Not having a stipend might not be worth it. But, if you're already living in NYC and you think you can pull it off, more power to you. I wouldn't do it (in all honesty), but that is much better than having to take out loans for the entire program. I do feel like it is a shame to miss out on getting teaching experience though.

3 hours ago, heliogabalus said:

I always take fully-funded to mean tuition+stipend. Is Hunter giving just tuition remissions--which is big for a CUNY--or are they giving stipends too?

I agree with this--but, I'm also of the opinion that this is much more workable for someone already living in / settled into NYC. None of the expensive relocation costs / moving to a new location stress / etc. / etc. / etc. There are ways to pull somewhat of a stipend via working at Hunter in some capacity I'm sure (summer programs, the writing center, etc.).

I ask because I did an MFA at a CUNY, and the professors were always hoping that tuition-remissions and stipends would be offered in the future. Because I could keep my job, paying for the CUNY MFA was actually the most financially sound option for me. If you have a job, the tuition-remission is really icing on the cake. Being in NYC does open up some opportunities as well. But New York is so ridiculously expensive.

46 minutes ago, heliogabalus said:

I ask because I did an MFA at a CUNY, and the professors were always hoping that tuition-remissions and stipends would be offered in the future. Because I could keep my job, paying for the CUNY MFA was actually the most financially sound option for me. If you have a job, the tuition-remission is really icing on the cake. Being in NYC does open up some opportunities as well. But New York is so ridiculously expensive.

Ah, that sounds like a solid opportunity for you then. Yeah, I think they're just offering tuition remission. Which is great. Especially if you have a job.

15 hours ago, icantanymore said:

Congrats to everyone who got in. I only have Brown left in my rotation. Anyone know when they're gonna send them out? 

I called early last week and they said "by the end of the week." Obviously Friday came and went, so I'm hoping that means early on this week. Fingers crossed! 

1 hour ago, Leaves said:

Does anyone know if NYU has sent acceptance emails for the poetry MFA?

No acceptances have been posted that were labeled "poetry." That said, there were several acceptances posted without a genre label several days after the initial acceptances in fiction. There's a chance those are for poetry but there's no way of knowing. I wouldn't give up hope yet (or cross them off of your list yet)... I applied in fiction and still feel like there's a chance of getting in. There's also a chance that funded people get contacted slightly later given that they often give funding through atypical routes like a fellowship where one teachings in public high schools. That said, they fully fund so few people (and the school is so ridiculously expensive) I probably won't go even if I do get in. But yeah,  funding complaints aside, I wouldn't totally give up hope on hearing back from them.

7 hours ago, cmack said:

I called early last week and they said "by the end of the week." Obviously Friday came and went, so I'm hoping that means early on this week. Fingers crossed! 

Fingers crossed for all of the Brown applicants! It's a fantastic program. 

It's kind of crazy that Michigan rejections are still coming in slowly. They as an institution should probably do something about the extra (totally unnecessary) work I'm sure they're creating for their admin assistants (who I assume have to individual enter rejections / send emails, one at a time, for a thousand applicants). Ah! The inefficiency of it all! =)

Another week--more excitement and disappointment incoming! Getting toward the tail end of things too--this week should finish things up for me, well, maybe with the exception of Columbia (March 15th-20th... jeez. could they be slower?).

Does anyone have an opinion about whether Hunter's program in poetry is strong-- and how it compares to other programs, like NYU, Warren Wilson College or Columbia? I am trying to get a better sense. So far I've been going on the faculty but am curious to know the broader reputations of the programs... Would it be crazy to choose Hunter over the others, say -- in poetry. In case anyone has an opinion...

Congrats to all who have been accepted into programs! Exciting!

I am so ready to hear (anything, everything, all the things) this week. Applied to 8- only heard back from 2 with the other 6 being programs that have been radio silent so far. I am ready, I am ready, I am ready! How's everyone feeling? 

6 minutes ago, Ultralight said:

Congrats to all who have been accepted into programs! Exciting!

I am so ready to hear (anything, everything, all the things) this week. Applied to 8- only heard back from 2 with the other 6 being programs that have been radio silent so far. I am ready, I am ready, I am ready! How's everyone feeling? 

Good luck with this week! Seems likely you'll get some good news out of one of those applications =) 

Fingers crossed for you!

8 minutes ago, Leaves said:

Does anyone have an opinion about whether Hunter's program in poetry is strong-- and how it compares to other programs, like NYU, Warren Wilson College or Columbia? I am trying to get a better sense. So far I've been going on the faculty but am curious to know the broader reputations of the programs... Would it be crazy to choose Hunter over the others, say -- in poetry. In case anyone has an opinion...

They have a very particular aesthetic at Hunter, so it depends on if you're into it. I personally tend to prefer small press poetry than the vein that Hunter is pushing. Warren Wilson is kind of on the same wavelength but with more faculty, and NYU/Columbia have like more aesthetically diverse faculty. It depends on what you're into. Also, with all of these colleges, I'd weigh funding over most other things. You can always read the pulitzer/american book award selections, or the top selling books off of SPD distribution (I highly recommend doing the later--so many good/interesting poetry books). You can't easily get back 100k of debt.