Fall 2016 MFA

kurtango

Just now, lunardanse said:

so I guess iowa has probably called all of their accepted folks, huh?

Yes, most likely. Waitlists often come in the mail. There was a post above that said there were no waitlists in poetry this year. I'm not sure if it's the same for fiction. Either way, you should get your decision soon enough--decisions were mailed out on March 1st.

I actually just got my rejection (a little while ago) via snail mail. Sigh. Despite its ranking, it was actually kind of low on my personal list because of location. Still stings a bit though.

56 minutes ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

They have faculty that stretch beyond traditional realism (via genre, experimental form, etc.) as well as a bunch of people who specialize in translation. It's not WAY OUT THERE ("weird" seems less appropriate than "open to experimentation and genre"). That said, the program isn't exactly focused specifically on literary realism in the way many other programs are.  So it is different.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. 

1 hour ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

Yes, most likely. Waitlists often come in the mail. There was a post above that said there were no waitlists in poetry this year. I'm not sure if it's the same for fiction. Either way, you should get your decision soon enough--decisions were mailed out on March 1st.

I actually just got my rejection (a little while ago) via snail mail. Sigh. Despite its ranking, it was actually kind of low on my personal list because of location. Still stings a bit though.

no waitlist for poetry? any idea why that would be? perhaps there weren't many spots to begin with? hmm. I didn't even consider applying for the longest time because of the trouble it took (sending out a paper manuscript when I was living in Europe for the time being) the application fee, and the small possibility of acceptance. But I'm happy for those who did get in! #1 program!

1 hour ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

same thing here. I've already done the small town college thing. not going down that road again. i need something different this time around, especially if i want to grow as a writer.

Quick Iowa poetry update, apparently "very few" calls have been made, but all letters were mailed Tuesday or Wednesday. 

I'm personally still expecting a rejection, but maybe somebody out there is going to get a really good surprise when they open their mail in the next couple of days!

4 hours ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

Some of their graduates seem to do formal experimentation and things like that, but not all. I think it is kind of a mixed bag. But they are open to experimentation at least. I kind of want to go somewhere more realist-oriented (personally) just because I think it balances me out and makes my writing more accessible. But yeah, if you do get in you'll definately have something to think about!

And it makes sense, doesn't it?! It's called "creative" for goodness sakes; everyone should be open to anything and everything, at least in principle! And oh yes, I would have a lot to think about if I get in, but keeping my expectations very low. (Their first year stipend is chuckle-inducing, though. :) But at least they give that much and no teaching is required! Also, one thing I've learned is: the stipend amounts posted on those department websites aren't always accurate; there appears to be a few more thousands to go around. That's what I've learned in at least one instance so far: the package ended up being 6K larger than what's advertised. It was a nice surprise. It's as if they're trying to keep people away or something. :))

2 hours ago, icantanymore said:

How many times have you guys gone applying to programs? 

This is my second run-around.

The first go I was applying during my senior year of undergrad, and I don't think I really knew where to apply/why to apply.

I applied to five schools with good reputations on the internet, and was wait-listed at Illinois.

This time, I sat down and applied to schools whose professors I enjoyed and whose professors I thought would be good mentors, and I've been far more successful. I'm now going to enter my MFA from a place of strength rather than a place of panic about having to enter the working world.

I'm very glad that I didn't attend an MFA right away. The time away from the academic community has forced me to make the decision if writing is what I really want to do with my life. It's easy to write a poem if you have one due for workshop once a week. It's a hell of a lot harder to wake up at 5:00 every morning so you can get writing done before the commute to your cubicle. 

What about you? This your first time? Or are you a repeat offender?

@icantanymoreFirst time around.

Unloading ahead. I'd suggest skipping this post. I just need to shout, if only to hear my own voice.

I've been out of college for nearly three years. I was not in any sort of writing department in college, but I found myself writing for a magazine and working in the film industry in LA. I've written a few books, but I feel like I missed out on a literary education. Since I had a job and a good group of friends, I decided that I'd only submit to and attend a school if it was worth yet again uprooting my life. But now I'm working as a receptionist, and that's the way life is going right now.

I've been rejected by every literary agent I've approached so far. I've had an equally tough time with publishers of both long and short fiction. I guess I thought that a good workshop would show me what was wrong with my writing. But I'm being rejected here as well. I guess I could just write three more books and hope I happen across someone who's willing to read. 

I know nobody asked, but I'm feeling pretty low about all of this. I always felt like this was what I was made to do. I've worked really hard. I've objectively proven myself in a lot of ways. I've been told that I'm good, by those forced to read my writing. It might not sound humble, but this is anonymous. If I'm lying, I'm only lying to myself.

And I must be lying, right?

If nobody wants to read my stuff, that's an objective sign that I'm not cut out for this. If nobody cares about my writing - family and S.O. included - after my 100,000 hours, shouldn't that be a sign that I'm not cut out for this?

I know that people hold out hope for much longer than I have. I know that I'll still be writing twenty years from now, no matter how many times I fail. But I wish it wasn't this way. I wish I didn't feel built for a task that I'll never achieve. I wish I was the natural genius I wanted to be. I wish I wasn't so bitter about a school making a decision to help someone else. 

To those of you who made it in this year - don't waste it. Dopes like me only wish we were so lucky. Work as hard as we dopes do, and don't forget the gift you're given. 

@DangerDetectiveI know it's a cliché to say don't give up, etc...But I just wanted to tell you that I read that and it made me wanna cry. Sorry you're feeling this way right now. But very soon, I'm sure you'll find a brighter perspective -- another aha moment -- to rejuvenate and get you going again. I don't think I have any words of wisdom to share atm. Only hugs for now. :(

Oh, you guys. I heard close to nothing from anyone yet. And now I'm all stressed because I called Brown earlier this week and was told (pretty confidently?) that decisions woulda come out by today! The hair is sticking straight up out of my every pore! I'm so edgy! *Tells self to have patience*

Sorry I was away for a while. Cornell rejection hurt. Got drunk. The waiting's pretty close to treacherous right now. I wouldn't mind getting all notifications (nvm yes/no) from the five remaining schools, in a row, in a single day! Congratulations to the ones who made it! :) 

14 hours ago, holycat said:

And it makes sense, doesn't it?! It's called "creative" for goodness sakes; everyone should be open to anything and everything, at least in principle! 

You'd be surprised! I've been in some workshops where people were openly hostile to anything that was formally experimental. This strange world with little egos we all live in.

8 hours ago, DangerDetective said:

@icantanymoreFirst time around.

Unloading ahead. I'd suggest skipping this post. I just need to shout, if only to hear my own voice.

I've been out of college for nearly three years. I was not in any sort of writing department in college, but I found myself writing for a magazine and working in the film industry in LA. I've written a few books, but I feel like I missed out on a literary education. Since I had a job and a good group of friends, I decided that I'd only submit to and attend a school if it was worth yet again uprooting my life. But now I'm working as a receptionist, and that's the way life is going right now.

I've been rejected by every literary agent I've approached so far. I've had an equally tough time with publishers of both long and short fiction. I guess I thought that a good workshop would show me what was wrong with my writing. But I'm being rejected here as well. I guess I could just write three more books and hope I happen across someone who's willing to read. 

I know nobody asked, but I'm feeling pretty low about all of this. I always felt like this was what I was made to do. I've worked really hard. I've objectively proven myself in a lot of ways. I've been told that I'm good, by those forced to read my writing. It might not sound humble, but this is anonymous. If I'm lying, I'm only lying to myself.

And I must be lying, right?

If nobody wants to read my stuff, that's an objective sign that I'm not cut out for this. If nobody cares about my writing - family and S.O. included - after my 100,000 hours, shouldn't that be a sign that I'm not cut out for this?

I know that people hold out hope for much longer than I have. I know that I'll still be writing twenty years from now, no matter how many times I fail. But I wish it wasn't this way. I wish I didn't feel built for a task that I'll never achieve. I wish I was the natural genius I wanted to be. I wish I wasn't so bitter about a school making a decision to help someone else. 

To those of you who made it in this year - don't waste it. Dopes like me only wish we were so lucky. Work as hard as we dopes do, and don't forget the gift you're given. 

I'm in a similar position right now--I only have 3 programs left to hear from (a number based partially on some assumed rejections). I still have some small hope, but it is looking less and less likely that I'll be attending an MFA program next year. I do have one acceptance, but I haven't heard anything about funding. Waiting is painful. I might be right there with you applying again next year. Seriously though--It doesn't reflect your on your ultimate ability to be a writer. Sorry you're feeling so down right now. Don't give up. I know if I don't make it this year, I'm going to work on my submission packet and try again next go around.

After those two acceptances to university of Washington my nerves are officially fried for the weekend. I know Vandy is donezo, I've been rejected by Michigan and Michener. Fingers are still crosse for Seattle and Eugene. Has anyone heard anything from UofO or UofW? Where are you two fiction acceptances and do you have anymore info? It's awful. The waiting. It's just terrible. 

3 hours ago, DylanMorsion said:

After those two acceptances to university of Washington my nerves are officially fried for the weekend. I know Vandy is donezo, I've been rejected by Michigan and Michener. Fingers are still crosse for Seattle and Eugene. Has anyone heard anything from UofO or UofW? Where are you two fiction acceptances and do you have anymore info? It's awful. The waiting. It's just terrible. 

I had an acceptance from Seattle. Rejected from Syracuse and Ole Miss (Syracuse by email, Ole Miss just said if you don't hear by early February don't wait up :S), still waiting on Brown, NYU, and SDSU.

6 hours ago, holycat said:

Congraaaaats! On a Saturday too! Go out and celebrate (or whichever way you do your celebrations)! :)

Thanks! I did have a drink actually! It's a good day--lots of stress lifted. Even if I didn't get into an MFA program I needed to switch jobs and would have had to go through applying etc. It would have been fine, but it would have been a lot of work / additional stress. Now I have a program to go to. Yay!

30 minutes ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

Thanks! I did have a drink actually! It's a good day--lots of stress lifted. Even if I didn't get into an MFA program I needed to switch jobs and would have had to go through applying etc. It would have been fine, but it would have been a lot of work / additional stress. Now I have a program to go to. Yay!

Congrats!!!