Fall 2016 MFA

kurtango

7 hours ago, gaudysideoftown said:

What's up with that person who was waitlisted at Boise?! Surely that has to be a joke. 

That was my thought, but now it's looking like someone else got waitlisted today...

9 hours ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

I was under the assumption that this could be done post hearing about funding. But yeah, if not, don't give them the money. @ThePandaBard You shouldn't have to pay $500 to hear if you're getting a fellowship. That's unethical. It's not worth it. In fact, if you are required to make a payment before April 15th (or before funding is announced) you should send them an email about the CGS that @Kiri-same mentioned above. 

From what they've said, people accepted hear about funding in early March and they've asked us to accept by March 15th. So I'd hear about funding before I'd have to pay $500 to confirm my acceptance. I've been emailing admissions and have two options now: pay $250 by the deadline if I decide to attend, or take an extension and pay the full $500 at a later date, if I accept. I'm still waiting to hear back from PhD and other MA programs and about funding here, so I may just wait until the deadline to decide.

13 minutes ago, ThePandaBard said:

From what they've said, people accepted hear about funding in early March and they've asked us to accept by March 15th. So I'd hear about funding before I'd have to pay $500 to confirm my acceptance. I've been emailing admissions and have two options now: pay $250 by the deadline if I decide to attend, or take an extension and pay the full $500 at a later date, if I accept. I'm still waiting to hear back from PhD and other MA programs and about funding here, so I may just wait until the deadline to decide.

Well, if you get waitlisted for a PhD/MA program (with potentially better funding) I think it is unfair that they'd require you to respond before other programs. You might just email them and see what they say if that occurs. I do think it is problematic that they are on a different schedule than the vast majority of other schools

Sorry about Cornell, @FalloutCoversEverything and @Challenger1992. *Hugs* (only if you want to) to everyone who got denials today. Keep on persisting! 

And congrats to those who got in. 

For me, this day just walked in and out like it's got no explaining to do! Still waiting to hear from 8 Programs. And what's with the results page? The forces of childishness appear to be taking over...

7 hours ago, holycat said:

Sorry about Cornell, @FalloutCoversEverything and @Challenger1992. *Hugs* (only if you want to) to everyone who got denials today. Keep on persisting! 

For me, this day just walked in and out like it's got no explaining to do! Still waiting to hear from 8 Programs. And what's with the results page? The forces of childishness appear to be taking over...

Thanks! =)

Sorry you didn't hear any news--but at least you didn't hear any bad news. Hope is alive.

6 hours ago, chamsee22 said:

The results page is absolute chaos. Is ours the most bonkers MFA applicant group or what?

Yeah, what the heck. Lol. I kind of assume emotions are just running a bit high--but yeah, really not the best way to deal with those emotions.

8 hours ago, DangerDetective said:

Are we still posting salty salty salt?

*Creattive Writing

*You know, bro?

*30 places, 50 states. Politics, bro.

*stress of my dad

bro.jpg

Sigh. This must be all around fake too, no? Given that there aren't any other Iowa rejections. I just checked my status and it's the same -- "in progress." Anyway, I'm assuming this is a joke, albeit not a very good one.

10 hours ago, DangerDetective said:

Are we still posting salty salty salt?

*Creattive Writing

*You know, bro?

*30 places, 50 states. Politics, bro.

*stress of my dad

bro.jpg

Iowa sends rejections out via regular mail. They could at least do a bit of research before trolling. :huh:

2 hours ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

Sorry you didn't hear any news--but at least you didn't hear any bad news. Hope is alive.

Thanks. I feel spoiled, tbh. Nothing to complain about so far. Hope you get some good news today!

8 hours ago, chamsee22 said:

The results page is absolute chaos. Is ours the most bonkers MFA applicant group or what?

Maybe we are. But I'm guessing past applicants made a good use of the "report spam" feature. It's fast and effective. 

Did you guys see the attached from a few days ago? Look at the acceptance from Syracuse. I reported it. As I've said before, I'm just so curious about the kind of writing that level of immaturity produces. If whoever is writing these notes is lucky enough, in a few years, he/she will have enough sense to look back and cringe. :)

Screen Shot 2016-02-19 at 8.07.54 AM.png

Edited by holycat

New poster here. Currently drowning in numerous rejections. Quick question: has anyone heard back about Mississippi's Phase II for fiction? I know poetry heard back a couple weeks ago but I never saw anything for specifically fiction.

1 hour ago, holycat said:

Thanks. I feel spoiled, tbh. Nothing to complain about so far. Hope you get some good news today!

Maybe we are. But I'm guessing past applicants made a good use of the "report spam" feature. It's fast and effective. 

Did you guys see the attached from a few days ago? Look at the acceptance from Syracuse. I reported it. As I've said before, I'm just so curious about the kind of writing that level of immaturity produces. If whoever is writing these notes is lucky enough, in a few years, he/she will have enough sense to look back and cringe. :)

Screen Shot 2016-02-19 at 8.07.54 AM.png

Great way to turn your anger about being rejected into racism. - _ -;;

20 minutes ago, Mao III said:

New poster here. Currently drowning in numerous rejections. Quick question: has anyone heard back about Mississippi's Phase II for fiction? I know poetry heard back a couple weeks ago but I never saw anything for specifically fiction.

Nope. These usually go out in the first week of March... so you likely have another week or so to wait. It makes sense they'd be a bit slower since the deadline for secondary materials wasn't that long ago.

2 minutes ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

Great way to turn your anger about being rejected into racism. - _ -;;

Nope. These usually go out in the first week of March... so you likely have another week or so to wait. It makes sense they'd be a bit slower since the deadline for secondary materials wasn't that long ago.

Oh, no, I meant even moving onto Phase II. I believe they only want the secondary materials if you move on, but I haven't seen any posts on the survey from fiction writers who were contacted in the first place.

2 minutes ago, Mao III said:

Oh, no, I meant even moving onto Phase II. I believe they only want the secondary materials if you move on, but I haven't seen any posts on the survey from fiction writers who were contacted in the first place.

Ah, yeah, they do seem to all be poetry. Maybe they haven't gone out for fiction yet? Seems very possible.

1 minute ago, Mao III said:

Yeah, this is also why I'm thinking I didn't make it past Phase I. We're coming up on March now and it doesn't seem likely to me that they'd still be deliberating for Phase II. Then again, someone mentioned a few pages back that they were still reviewing apps mid-Feb (or so?).

41 minutes ago, chamsee22 said:

Yeah, this is also why I'm thinking I didn't make it past Phase I. We're coming up on March now and it doesn't seem likely to me that they'd still be deliberating for Phase II. Then again, someone mentioned a few pages back that they were still reviewing apps mid-Feb (or so?).

I remember seeing that! I just think that out of all of the people who would've moved onto Phase II, someone would've at least posted it here. I'm hoping it's the case they're somehow a month behind with notifications, but maybe that's just naive...

Nothing naive about it, I think. We're very much in the dark here. Once we've sent off our apps it's almost entirely conjecture on our part what's going on with these programs until we get that acceptance/rejection. No reason not to remain hopeful and optimistic! Is Ole Miss your #1, @Mao III?

I'm feeling stupidly cheerful as I just had a delicious cheeseburger and it's in the low 80s here in LA. Anyway, congrats to that Brown poetry dude/ette from the results page. Such a fierce program!! You go, you! But the idea of having to speak coherently on the phone before being offered admission... oy. I'm sweating just thinking about it.

51 minutes ago, chamsee22 said:

.... But the idea of having to speak coherently on the phone before being offered admission... oy. I'm sweating just thinking about it.

Good point. I might have to tell them not to bother with me if I get to that stage and they want an interview. I don't like engaging in high stakes negotiations in the absence of the delete button. :)

I've reached the point where I think I'll be fine if I get nothing but rejections. This year doesn't make the most sense economically or personally, which I think I knew when I applied. I think writing to my recommendors and being all, "Hey I got rejected from everyone!" is going to suck though. 

Still, I've got three schools where I haven't gotten rejected (or just assumed a rejection). Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. 

NYU acceptance. In poetry. It seems fiction acceptances usually come at least a few days later.

1 hour ago, GlowStick said:

I've reached the point where I think I'll be fine if I get nothing but rejections. This year doesn't make the most sense economically or personally, which I think I knew when I applied. I think writing to my recommendors and being all, "Hey I got rejected from everyone!" is going to suck though. 

Still, I've got three schools where I haven't gotten rejected (or just assumed a rejection). Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. 

I think the I can always apply next cycle attitude is the best one to take. I'm still hoping to get in though =) But yeah, if I don't, not the hugest loss. 

1 hour ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

NYU acceptance. In poetry. It seems fiction acceptances usually come at least a few days later.

I saw NYU before I saw the genre and my heart was like, I want to go, just let me go, I want to go to the corner to be alone and sad...