Fall 2016 MFA

kurtango

Hey y'all! 

If I won an award for highlighting women's issues through my writing, do you think I should e-mail the grad schools? 

Loves! and Best of Lucks! 

On another note, 

The WORST thing is going to be getting all the rejections in like one day! Since all the decisions are piling up, I am fearing that!

I had a few questions, if anyone here could answer them. I was accepted to Chapman's MA/MFA duel degree in English and Creative Writing (emphasis poetry) and I wasn't sure of the school's rankings. I'm really excited - it was the only MFA program I've applied to and I was pretty sure I wouldn't get in. I've written and published a few poems, but creative writing was never the main focus of my studies. Does anyone have any idea, in addition to Chapman's rankings, if they generally fund people in their programs? I can't find anything and they stated I don't get to hear about funding until early March. They also have a 500 dollar fee to lock in my acceptance, and that seems fairly steep. Is that normal for an MA/MFA?

11 hours ago, holycat said:

You guys! I found a thing that helped me not check the results page for, like, 30 minutes! Travel research! Google Flights has this thing where you can enter a continent as your destination and it would bring up a map showing prices for different cities for a given period of time. You should totally do it! lol. Or just find the thing you love so much/find easy to obsess over. If you're crushing hard on someone, for example, this is the time to put that excess energy to use -- internet-stalk the heck out of them (but make sure to keep the guilt or it would be seriously worrisome)! 

Whatever works! I made a TO DO list and worked through the whole thing. I got caught up on a bunch of emails, tasks, etc. etc. etc. I would often go back and check the boards between things, but it weirdly ended up making me MORE productive. I'm kind of into it. =)

9 hours ago, ThePandaBard said:

I had a few questions, if anyone here could answer them. I was accepted to Chapman's MA/MFA duel degree in English and Creative Writing (emphasis poetry) and I wasn't sure of the school's rankings. I'm really excited - it was the only MFA program I've applied to and I was pretty sure I wouldn't get in. I've written and published a few poems, but creative writing was never the main focus of my studies. Does anyone have any idea, in addition to Chapman's rankings, if they generally fund people in their programs? I can't find anything and they stated I don't get to hear about funding until early March. They also have a 500 dollar fee to lock in my acceptance, and that seems fairly steep. Is that normal for an MA/MFA?

They have a couple of 18k a year fellowships. I'd definitely go if you get one of those, otherwise maybe just reapply next year to substantially more schools.

10 hours ago, Challenger1992 said:

Hey y'all! 

If I won an award for highlighting women's issues through my writing, do you think I should e-mail the grad schools? 

Loves! and Best of Lucks! 

On another note, 

The WORST thing is going to be getting all the rejections in like one day! Since all the decisions are piling up, I am fearing that!

You might consider sending an updated CV and noting that you won the award? I does feel like it is getting a bit late at this point, but if it is a functional/generous email it couldn't hurt.

I WONDER WHAT TODAY WILL BRING!? More Cornell rejections? Bleh.

Edited by FalloutCoversEverything

11 hours ago, ThePandaBard said:

They make you pay $500.00 to hold your acceptance?? That sounds totally sketchy. I've never heard of that (which only means that I've never heard of that, not that it isn't a thing...but seriously??).

Wisconsin's website includes this info, which I'll share with you because I think it's important and it's relevant to your situation:

"Like most institutions with a graduate program in creative writing, the University of Wisconsin-Madison is a member of the Council of Graduate Schools and as such is bound to the following resolution: "Students are under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support prior to April 15; earlier deadlines for acceptance of such offers violate the intent of this Resolution." You can see the full resolution as well as a list of council members by clicking here.

We at Wisconsin advise any applicant who is feeling pressured to accept another MFA program's offer before the April 15th deadline to simply send the program a friendly email that states, "I see that your institution is a member of the Council of Graduate Schools. As such, I believe that I have the right to consider your offer up until the April 15th deadline as established by the council. Thanks so much!" Most universities are big places where one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing. Showing them you know your rights will help ensure that your rights are respected."

I'd check to see if this institution participates in the resolution and inform them of your rights if they are (which includes not paying $500 to "hold" your acceptance). The April 15th deadline is after their early March funding outcome/informing, so you can wait to hear about funding before making your decision. Expecting you to make a decision without giving you full information (funding is TOTALLY relevant!!) is BS, if you ask me.

Good luck!

Edited by Kiri-same
further information

12 minutes ago, Kiri-same said:

They make you pay $500.00 to hold your acceptance?? That sounds totally sketchy. I've never heard of that (which only means that I've never heard of that, not that it isn't a thing...but seriously??).

Wisconsin's website includes this info, which I'll share with you because I think it's important and it's relevant to your situation:

"Like most institutions with a graduate program in creative writing, the University of Wisconsin-Madison is a member of the Council of Graduate Schools and as such is bound to the following resolution: "Students are under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support prior to April 15; earlier deadlines for acceptance of such offers violate the intent of this Resolution." You can see the full resolution as well as a list of council members by clicking here.

We at Wisconsin advise any applicant who is feeling pressured to accept another MFA program's offer before the April 15th deadline to simply send the program a friendly email that states, "I see that your institution is a member of the Council of Graduate Schools. As such, I believe that I have the right to consider your offer up until the April 15th deadline as established by the council. Thanks so much!" Most universities are big places where one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing. Showing them you know your rights will help ensure that your rights are respected."

I'd check to see if this institution participates in the resolution and inform them of your rights if they are (which includes not paying $500 to "hold" your acceptance). The April 15th deadline is after their early March funding outcome/informing, so you can wait to hear about funding before making your decision. Expecting you to make a decision without giving you full information (funding is TOTALLY relevant!!) is BS, if you ask me.

Good luck!

I was under the assumption that this could be done post hearing about funding. But yeah, if not, don't give them the money. @ThePandaBard You shouldn't have to pay $500 to hear if you're getting a fellowship. That's unethical. It's not worth it. In fact, if you are required to make a payment before April 15th (or before funding is announced) you should send them an email about the CGS that @Kiri-same mentioned above. 

3 minutes ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

I was under the assumption that this could be done post hearing about funding. But yeah, if not, don't give them the money. @ThePandaBard You shouldn't have to pay $500 to hear if you're getting a fellowship. That's unethical. It's not worth it. In fact, if you are required to make a payment before April 15th (or before funding is announced) you should send them an email about the CGS that @Kiri-same mentioned above. 

Whoops! May have mis-read when $500 was expected. "Unethical" is the word I was looking for, thanks @FalloutCoversEverything! (Clearly a writer if I'm forgetting basic words :P )

19 minutes ago, Kiri-same said:

Whoops! May have mis-read when $500 was expected. "Unethical" is the word I was looking for, thanks @FalloutCoversEverything! (Clearly a writer if I'm forgetting basic words :P )

=)

16 minutes ago, NYCWriter93 said:

Any activity on draft for NYU or irvine?

Nope! This week or next week likely. 

2 hours ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

Whatever works! I made a TO DO list and worked through the whole thing. I got caught up on a bunch of emails, tasks, etc. etc. etc. I would often go back and check the boards between things, but it weirdly ended up making me MORE productive. I'm kind of into it. =)

They have a couple of 18k a year fellowships. I'd definitely go if you get one of those, otherwise maybe just reapply next year to substantially more schools.

You might consider sending an updated CV and noting that you won the award? I does feel like it is getting a bit late at this point, but if it is a functional/generous email it couldn't hurt.

I WONDER WHAT TODAY WILL BRING!? More Cornell rejections? Bleh.

Thanky you @FalloutCoversEverything:)

What's better waiting by e-mail or waiting by portals! I would prefer waiting by e-mail any day! 

1 minute ago, gaudysideoftown said:

Two questions: 1) Why won't Michigan just send our rejections already? and 2) What's up with that person who was waitlisted at Boise?! Surely that has to be a joke. 

Yeah, it's weird that the Michigan rejections don't go out right away. That said, many schools don't send out rejections until a bit later. Eh, just seems to be part of the process.

I'd suspect Boise sent out acceptances/waitlists? They're a super small program, no? It's possible the acceptances didn't make the board / draft. But you never know. 

8 minutes ago, gaudysideoftown said:

Two questions: 1) Why won't Michigan just send our rejections already?

Right?!?! Just reject already so I can move on.

(Maybe I should write a rejection myself so I can see the words and feel closure.)

Edited by Kiri-same

1 minute ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

Yeah, it's weird that the Michigan rejections don't go out right away. That said, many schools don't send out rejections until a bit later. Eh, just seems to be part of the process.

I'd suspect Boise sent out acceptances/waitlists? They're a super small program, no? It's possible the acceptances didn't make the board / draft. But you never know. 

It's just weird because they've always sent out notifications late March/early April in the past.

5 minutes ago, gaudysideoftown said:

It's just weird because they've always sent out notifications late March/early April in the past.

Yeah, that's odd. It might be fake, or they might have read things earlier. Seems weird that someone would do that with such a small program and only post a waitlist--but, you know, people are weird on the internet. I do lean toward thinking it is probably legit though.

Edited by FalloutCoversEverything

hey yal, would someone on MFA draft please let me know if fiction/poetry acceptances have been reported for UCSD or University of Arizona? I see fiction/poetry waitlists and rejections for UA and rejections for UCSD and nothing else. Thanks for any help! :)

Is there even a point in applying to the same programs again? Seeing my rejection letters only flashes the amount of money I spent back at me. :-(

I'm also wondering if my previously published material had been factored into the decisions by the admissions committee… Maybe they saw something they didn't like.

Man, it just sucks.

Is Iowa all done already, by the way?

7 minutes ago, Ultralight said:

https://graduatecollege.boisestate.edu/howtoapply/

Click Apply, then enter your info. Mine just says: Submitted 

THANK YOU! Mine says the same.

7 minutes ago, icantanymore said:

Is there even a point in applying to the same programs again? Seeing my rejection letters only flashes the amount of money I spent back at me. :-(

I'm also wondering if my previously published material had been factored into the decisions by the admissions committee… Maybe they saw something they didn't like.

Man, it just sucks.

As far as I know, it's not over until rejection letters start going out. So far only acceptances have been posted, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Edited by gaudysideoftown

50 minutes ago, gaudysideoftown said:

THANK YOU! Mine says the same.

As far as I know, it's not over until rejection letters start going out. So far only acceptances have been posted, so I wouldn't worry too much.

I'm going second this, even with schools that have already sent out acceptances supposedly in batches. Unless there is an actual admin insider here or on the Drafts, I'm not crossing anything off the list until I receive that nice generic "There were so many applicants...it was a hard decision...don't take this the hard way....good luck with all your future endeavors" email. I'm not even going to look at the database anymore. What's the point--it's user generated and unverified. I'm going to walk away from my computer and stop living in a future that is far from guaranteed. Fate is sealed, why waste time on worrying about something over which you have no control? I'm 0a/1w/1r in, but until that ideal acceptance drops in, I'm going going to assume business as usual.

Cheers, all, and I hope you are still writing more amidst the babble.

3 hours ago, oss said:

hey yal, would someone on MFA draft please let me know if fiction/poetry acceptances have been reported for UCSD or University of Arizona? I see fiction/poetry waitlists and rejections for UA and rejections for UCSD and nothing else. Thanks for any help! :)

There's one Arizona acceptance in poetry and one in fiction--both on the 22nd! Nothing in acceptances for UCSD. 

1 hour ago, icantanymore said:

Man, it just sucks.

As for applying to the same programs again--if the school you're applying to has an extremely low acceptance rate, and you are short on cash, I could see striking it off the list. But you have a whole year to revise and improve. And I think it's rare for a writer to get worse, so you really can only go up. Combine that with the knowledge you gained about their application process, and I think there are some valid reasons to consider applying again.

And now for some Draft updates:

• Iowa: Two reports from people who called: 1. Notices are hopefully going out next week, and 2. Poetry acceptances have not started gong out yet
  • New Writers Project: Acceptances are going out this week.
  • Riverside: Notifications should be going out in a week (maybe two). Usual acceptance rate is around 5%.