Fall 2016 MFA

kurtango

Thanks, GlowStick! I was feeling so left out, ha.

Here's to hoping that really was a sign they liked you! I can't see why they'd bother with the rest of your app if the WS wasn't working for them.

On 2/8/2016 at 0:11 PM, chamsee22 said:

I've been looking at old blogs for this kind of info and it seems like genuine acceptances did come out this early. Though for sanity's sake I'm going to pretend the 2(?!) fiction acceptances are trolls. ;_;

Also, is the most active place that mfa draft thing on Facebook? I'm so curious about how everyone else is doing but I'm wary of the big F.

I'm pretending the same. Surely they aren't sending out acceptances so early!

I was sent an interview notification by the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. :D This definitely makes me feel better about my other applications, though I'm not sure if SAIC is challenging enough for me judging on some of what I've heard. But I'm definitely excited. 

How is waiting going, everyone? I've turned into a machine that refreshes webpages and checks phone every few minutes. Can't wait for the normalcy the end of March should hopefully bring! 

Poetry applicant here. So far accepted into Temple and rejected by WUSTL. I'm going to die if I don't hear from U of Alabama like, TODAY! I work at a tax office and all I do is refresh my email all day.

On 2/11/2016 at 11:31 AM, lunardanse said:

Poetry applicant here. So far accepted into Temple and rejected by WUSTL. I'm going to die if I don't hear from U of Alabama like, TODAY! I work at a tax office and all I do is refresh my email all day.

Congrats on Temple! I've been going crazy waiting to hear from ASU or Alabama, because apparently both of them have started sending out acceptances. :unsure:

On 2/1/2016 at 2:52 AM, manoshij said:

Why does this thread seem to have gone dead? I have applied to the following programs: Cornell, Virginia Tech, Virginia, Alabama, Boston and Mississippi. 

Mississippi Stage 1 results were due January end. Anybody has news there? 

How are you people doing with anxiety? 

Just got out of a meeting with one of the readers at Mississippi (i'm an undergrad here), and no first round decisions have been made yet. 208 applicants for 4 spots though

2 hours ago, jeavey said:

Just got out of a meeting with one of the readers at Mississippi (i'm an undergrad here), and no first round decisions have been made yet. 208 applicants for 4 spots though

Bless you for sharing this. I was really heavy-hearted when the 31st of Jan passed without hearing anything. You rock!

Only 4 spots tho... oy.

4 hours ago, jeavey said:

In terms of anxiety, I've basically been having one longgg panic attack for two weeks.

22 hours ago, gaudysideoftown said:

That sounds a lot like me, holycat! This wait is killer.

I never thought I'd ever dislike weekends until now! If I don't hear anything tomorrow, there won't even be anything to refresh over the long weekend. Haha. I've heard from schools the last two Fridays, so I'm hoping there's going to be at least one more tomorrow even if almost all my remaining schools usually notify late Feb/early March. Good luck to us all!

3 hours ago, gaudysideoftown said:

Looks like Wisconsin sent out a wave of acceptances today! Did anyone here get any good news?! I seem to remember a few of you guys saying it was on your list!

I've now been waitlisted by both Minnesota and Wisconsin. MN gave me a my position on the waitlist, WI didn't. I'm trying to feel optimistic, but honestly, all the schools I applied to are equally competitive, so we'll see.

4 minutes ago, BananaStand said:

I've now been waitlisted by both Minnesota and Wisconsin. MN gave me a my position on the waitlist, WI didn't. I'm trying to feel optimistic, but honestly, all the schools I applied to are equally competitive, so we'll see.

Congrats on getting onto the waitlists! I don't know much about Minnesota, but I know Wisconsin is a great (and competitive) program! I'm excited to apply there next year if I don't get any good offers this round.

Got my first rejection--Michener--and I handled it about as well as I thought I would. I went from "I expected this," to utter devastation to "I only really wanted to go to Austin to stalk internet celebrities anyway" pretty quick. Still, it stings--it was my first choice even if it was more of a dream than anything. I feel bad. Hopefully tomorrow I'll wake up with a little bit more perspective. 

Also, I'm rapidly learning one of my recommenders can't be trusted with ANYTHING. There was the missing letter I mentioned earlier this thread. He randomly submitted a letter about two weeks ago that was due ages ago (which makes me wonder if the program contacted him, but I shouldn't torture myself like that). And then today he emails me that he doesn't have any of the FERPA release forms that I gave him in November. Ugh. 

Sorry to hear that @GlowStick. Keep your head up!

As for Minnesota, I know there are reservations to be had about the P & W rankings, but the Program is ranked 10th on the last one. And they're very selective. I believe they take about a total of 12 (for poetry + fiction + CNF ) every year.

Congrats on the waitlists and good news everyone. 

I still haven't heard back from anyone, and right now I'm feeling antsy and overall pessimistic. Times like these make me want to stress eat candy, but then I remember I spent all my money on university applications, so I can't afford to get cavities right now. Shit.

On February 8, 2016 at 5:05 AM, BananaStand said:

Alright, people who have posted acceptances to Iowa for fiction: show yourselves! I can't figure out if they're legit, or some kind of cruel joke. 

Any update on this? Anyone over on Draft have any information to suggest if these calls were legit or trolls? 

Just got official word that University of Arizona Tucson has not made decisions on poetry yet--if that matters to anyone.

And yeah, I've been seeing some Iowa's and UMASS Amherst's popping up and it's making me insane