Fall 2016 MFA

kurtango

55 minutes ago, Radesky said:

Historically, many of the schools I've applied to will notify acceptances within the next two weeks. Would be nice to go into a cryogenic slumber until then. It's cold enough where I am that 10 minutes outside would be sufficient time to lose all feeling. 

This made me laugh and cry simultaneously

1 hour ago, Ultralight said:

Any update on this? Anyone over on Draft have any information to suggest if these calls were legit or trolls? 

I know that someone on Draft who knew the program was "99% certain" that the earliest Iowa notification was not true. But, as far as I saw, it was only the earliest claim that raised any suspicion. The rest have just been called "early." Last I checked, everyone seemed to be expecting that quite a few more will come out in quicker succession in the next few weeks. Or to quote directly, "They're the early ones. It'll come in a flood when they really get going." 

But I take most of what I hear on the Draft with a grain of salt, so I don't know how much that really helps. 

Iowa also tends to scatter their notifications from what I've seen. But that first notification was most likely a troll. (Side: Who gets entertainment from freaking out MFA applicants? We freak ourselves out enough.) 

Does anyone know if all the Wisconsin notifications go out at the same time? I'm pretty sure not getting a notification last night means I was rejected since waitlists went out too. (Btw. Congrats, Bananastand. :) ) 

Edited by LexieB

1 hour ago, GlowStick said:

I know that someone on Draft who knew the program was "99% certain" that the earliest Iowa notification was not true. But, as far as I saw, it was only the earliest claim that raised any suspicion. The rest have just been called "early." Last I checked, everyone seemed to be expecting that quite a few more will come out in quicker succession in the next few weeks. Or to quote directly, "They're the early ones. It'll come in a flood when they really get going." 

But I take most of what I hear on the Draft with a grain of salt, so I don't know how much that really helps. 

Thanks for the information. Funny how we all want as much information as possible and yet we still don't believe anything until we hear yes or no directly. I appreciate the update though!

How's everyone doing in terms of dealing with stress?  

Part of me just wants to block thegradcafe.com and disable my facebook account for the next couple of months. I know I'll get an answer sooner or later, so I might as well try to stop obsessing over it.... gah. Who am I kidding though? I can't not obsess over this.

I'm totally on board with the cryogenic slumber thing, Radesky-- where do we sign up? :P

4 hours ago, lunardanse said:

Just got official word that University of Arizona Tucson has not made decisions on poetry yet--if that matters to anyone.

And yeah, I've been seeing some Iowa's and UMASS Amherst's popping up and it's making me insane

U Mass Amherst has started to notify their Fiction applicants; I got a call on 2/10. Don't lose hope though, they may spread out the acceptances or Poetry may still be deciding. Even if you get in nowhere apply again. Your writing will keep getting better. I was rejected by 12 schools, including UMass, last time I applied and this round UMass accepted me. Good luck and be kind to yourself!!

1 hour ago, gaudysideoftown said:

Part of me just wants to block thegradcafe.com and disable my facebook account for the next couple of months. I know I'll get an answer sooner or later, so I might as well try to stop obsessing over it.... gah. Who am I kidding though? I can't not obsess over this.

I'm totally on board with the cryogenic slumber thing, Radesky-- where do we sign up? :P

I meant to block GradCafe but my finger slipped and I joined the Facebook group. :lol: 

8 minutes ago, LexieB said:

I meant to block GradCafe but my finger slipped and I joined the Facebook group. :lol: 

It's strange because I'm a pretty level-headed person, but the anxiety is certainly building. Kudos for having the tolerance to join that madhouse--I for one couldn't. 

Currently tallying one waitlist and one rejection. Plans of quitting my not-so-bad day job seem to constantly shimmer before me. Rejections aren't so bad--the uncertainty is. Anyway, back to building my cryogenic slumber machine. At least it will take my mind off things.  

2 hours ago, gaudysideoftown said:

Excuse the double post, but for those of you who have already been notified of a decision: what time of the day did you receive the email or phone call?

I got my call at 11am something Pacific Time on 01/29. And for that reason, I now find myself losing hope of getting a call when the clock hits 1pm. *rolls eyes at self* Too obsessed with pattern (hence, the spreadsheets! :D

As for Draft, I joined late November/December. But then I left because I was seriously afraid I might pick a fight with one of the veterans there. lol. I felt there was just too much needless meanness being thrown around. IMO. 

Really? I haven't noticed anyone being mean. Everyone seems very supportive, but we're all at a high anxiety level, so I can see how it can suddenly turn. I'm proud to say I've only had two crying fits this week and one "screw it. I'm going to Barcelona" moment. 

4 minutes ago, LexieB said:

Really? I haven't noticed anyone being mean. Everyone seems very supportive, but we're all at a high anxiety level, so I can see how it can suddenly turn. I'm proud to say I've only had two crying fits this week and one "screw it. I'm going to Barcelona" moment. 

I should probably stop talking about this right about now but, just to clarify, the meanness was coming from one individual. And I stop.

I'm sorry about the emotional rollercoaster. And I don't mean to romanticize your suffering, but the way you share your feelings is endearing. Hope you tap into that in your writing. :)

14 minutes ago, holycat said:

I got my call at 11am something Pacific Time on 01/29. And for that reason, I now find myself losing hope of getting a call when the clock hits 1pm. *rolls eyes at self* Too obsessed with pattern (hence, the spreadsheets! :D

We're opposites! I run on EST and most of the schools I applied to are west, so I really don't start obsessively checking my phone until around 1pm.

49 minutes ago, holycat said:

I'm sorry about the emotional rollercoaster. And I don't mean to romanticize your suffering, but the way you share your feelings is endearing. Hope you tap into that in your writing. :)

Hahaha. I've been considering it. I'm working with plotbuilding right now. I'll see where that goes. XD 

39 minutes ago, GlowStick said:

We're opposites! I run on EST and most of the schools I applied to are west, so I really don't start obsessively checking my phone until around 1pm.

I see you've applied to UCI and UCR. Same here but for fiction. I work in Irvine; it's beautiful. I also attended one of their MFA readings recently and it was awesome. But I'm trying to get out of SoCal, where I've lived for 14 years and immensely enjoyed the fabulous weather! I need change. But then if I miraculously get into UCI, I just don't know what I'd do with myself! It would make my decision extremely difficult for sure. But that's a great problem to have -- like losing weight and needing new clothes! :) 

12 hours ago, applecakes said:

U Mass Amherst has started to notify their Fiction applicants; I got a call on 2/10. Don't lose hope though, they may spread out the acceptances or Poetry may still be deciding. Even if you get in nowhere apply again. Your writing will keep getting better. I was rejected by 12 schools, including UMass, last time I applied and this round UMass accepted me. Good luck and be kind to yourself!!

I'm not losing hope yet! Ugh, I don't even know if I am willing to put myself through this stress again next year. Plus I'll need to spend another $1,000+ dollars on fees. <_<What do you guys think---settle for a backup school or wait it out for a year and apply again to your dream school? It's a tough one.

Hey, new to the forum. Applying in fiction. I've gotten into Temple so far (but no word on funding... not considering it an actual acceptance unless I get funding). Likely out at Madison. Unsure about Iowa.

Congrats to all of the other acceptances both on the forum and on the board! Very exciting!

I'd say re: re: applying: If you have funding, go for it if you feel like you need a change of pace. But if you have a good job and can wait, do some summer programs or online workshops (like Naropa, etc.). and give it another shot. You'll likely come out a better writer doing the later, if it is feasible. If you need to get out of where you are, and are feeling stuck in a job, just go where the funding is. If it doesn't work out (it most likely will... if they accepted your work they want to work with you) you can always switch programs with what will likely be a better application.

25 minutes ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

Hey, new to the forum. Applying in fiction. I've gotten into Temple so far (but no word on funding... not considering it an actual acceptance unless I get funding). Likely out at Madison. Unsure about Iowa.

Congrats to all of the other acceptances both on the forum and on the board! Very exciting!

I'd say re: re: applying: If you have funding, go for it if you feel like you need a change of pace. But if you have a good job and can wait, do some summer programs or online workshops (like Naropa, etc.). and give it another shot. You'll likely come out a better writer doing the later, if it is feasible. If you need to get out of where you are, and are feeling stuck in a job, just go where the funding is. If it doesn't work out (it most likely will... if they accepted your work they want to work with you) you can always switch programs with what will likely be a better application.

I got into Temple too. It's not a big program...hopefully the funding is abundant (though I've heard otherwise). I've been told it's a very artistic city. One of my favorite poets, CA Conrad, lives there so I'm totally in if they show me the $$$$$.

On 2/11/2016 at 11:19 PM, jeavey said:

Just got out of a meeting with one of the readers at Mississippi (i'm an undergrad here), and no first round decisions have been made yet. 208 applicants for 4 spots though

Thanks @holycat and many congratulations, you made it! @jeavey, thanks for the inside info. Please let us have further news about it should you have any. @sayantika, where are you from? What schools have you applied to?

42 minutes ago, lunardanse said:

I got into Temple too. It's not a big program...hopefully the funding is abundant (though I've heard otherwise). I've been told it's a very artistic city. One of my favorite poets, CA Conrad, lives there so I'm totally in if they show me the $$$$$.

Yeah, CA is great! He teaches at Naropa every year too >.O

The faculty at temple are amazing also--hopefully funding comes =)