Some schools are delusional

So, one of the schools I was accepted to had a an acceptance deadline of March 16. I had not heard from any other schools at that point, so I accepted the offer knowing that I needed to secure the spot since it was my only acceptance. I could withdraw later if I got in somewhere else. According to everyone on here, this is not uncommon & most schools expect some of this.

Fast forward to April. I just found out yesterday that I was accepted off of the waitlist at my top-choice school. I emailed the other school to withdraw my acceptance. I emailed 2 people who I have been interacting with. One of them sent a message to me by mistake rather than to the other person at their school. The message said, "You’ve got to be kidding me! So they’re using this as their fall-back? Let me see if I can come up with any brilliant ideas to help prevent this in the future."

Apparently they didn't expect any melt & they are now upset that I withdrew. I feel bad, but really? How could they not expect any late withdrawals?

I mean, sucks that you got that email, but they do have a right to be upset at a late withdrawal. Their school could have been the dream school of someone else who might have already committed to another institution. And what they said about you in the email was true, right? ... you WERE using them as a fall-back.

You didn't mention if you had originally asked for an extension of your acceptance. That would have been the best thing to do in this situation since your sights were set on another school that was forcing you to wait, which is what many applicants go through.

So, one of the schools I was accepted to had a an acceptance deadline of March 16. I had not heard from any other schools at that point, so I accepted the offer knowing that I needed to secure the spot since it was my only acceptance. I could withdraw later if I got in somewhere else. According to everyone on here, this is not uncommon & most schools expect some of this.

Fast forward to April. I just found out yesterday that I was accepted off of the waitlist at my top-choice school. I emailed the other school to withdraw my acceptance. I emailed 2 people who I have been interacting with. One of them sent a message to me by mistake rather than to the other person at their school. The message said, "You’ve got to be kidding me! So they’re using this as their fall-back? Let me see if I can come up with any brilliant ideas to help prevent this in the future."

Apparently they didn't expect any melt & they are now upset that I withdrew. I feel bad, but really? How could they not expect any late withdrawals?

You should respond by saying, "I have an idea for how to prevent it: not having your response deadline be a month earlier than everyone else's!"

Or they could increase their financial aid to make their program more attractive. Even if my "dream school" was X, if school Y offered me a better deal financially, I'd probably go with them.

Or they could increase their financial aid to make their program more attractive. Even if my "dream school" was X, if school Y offered me a better deal financially, I'd probably go with them.

The early deadline school doesn't even offer any financial packages.

The early deadline school doesn't even offer any financial packages.

Then that would be something they should consider implementing if they don't want to lose admitted applicants to other programs...

There is a question of how you phrased the email -- I could see someone getting upset if you said "an offer from a school I like more came along so I am withdrawing" as opposed to "a funded offer came along that I simply cannot pass up, given the financial difficulties that the offer from you would have put me in." 

That said, a school with an early deadline AND no funding offer really has no business being upset, in my opinion.

There is lots of room for improvement in this area.  It's not your fault.  You did what most anyone else would also do.  Our daughter's applications were very Florida Public University centered.  You'd think they'd all be on the same page with deadlines.  Not at all.  Our bottom choice school hasn't even sent a decision yet.  Same situation though.  Got accepted to a middle choice school early.  Accepted the offer near the deadline.  Just got accepted to a top choice school off the waitlist (another Florida public University).  We're waiting to accept that one though, in the hope we hear some good news from the other top choice school which is much closer to home.  Even waiting until the deadline, there is still a chance she'll see something from this last school afterwards.

I can't say that I'm surprised.  I've experienced very unprofessional behavior in this process.  Don't let anyone make you feel bad.   You worked hard to get to this point and shouldn't settle for a school that isn't the right fit for you.  It sounds like you made the right choice.  :)

I must say that I'm loving iphi's response. Very clever and actually offers some feedback to the school.   :D

Wow, talk about unprofessional. Schools have wait-lists for a reason so why should you be held accountable for claiming a spot until something else opens up? It's not like you committed to several schools at one time or something. Whatever, they'll get over it.  B)

As previous posters said, this is something that is expected. Don't feel bad about it. You have to look out for your best interests or no one else will. I had to do the same thing as you. I was first accepted to Program #1 which gave me an "ultimatum" per se (accept now or else you will lose funding), and then I was accepted to my top choice (a fraction of the cost w/ funding and a GREAT program) after the deadline. I promptly contacted Program #1 and told them I would no longer be attending. They were very understanding and had no problems.

Maybe they were just more or less shocked that students would consider their program as a backup? By saying they are thinking of ways to prevent this, your rejection seems to have made them consider how they can sway qualified students, such as yourself, from choosing other programs over theirs'. I would kind of take it as a compliment, in a weird and twisted way.