Low GPA

AWoodard

I faced a few hardships also being an athlete led me to having a low cumulative GPA, I was wondering if anyone here had a suggestion on things I can do to enroll into a masters program  

are you looking in to an msw? Also, do you Know what your GPA is for the last 60 semester/90 quarter units? Msw programs usually only look at that. So if the last two years you did well, you should have a pretty good chance. Coupled with excellent letters, experience and personal statement.

Edited by saidypooMSW

I feel like the MSW programs say that they only look at the grades from the last 60 units because it sounds nice. In reality they care about gpa A LOT!

Is there a way you can boost up your gpa, like by retaking some classes? If that's not possible then you have to make sure your personal statement, experience and recommendations are out of this world. And apply early, not towards the end of the deadline

Hi,

If you are able to I would recommend taking 6-9 credits in Graduate Courses ( as a non degree seeker), preferably getting A's. You can then include in the statement of intent why your grades suffered, and point out that you hope your graduate grades indicate your apititude for a graduate program.

I would also recommend doing human service work to display your experience in the field. A lot of schools want a well rounded student, not just someone with good grades. 

I had a somewhat similar situation to you, and I was accepted into a couple of the top rated MSW programs in the country.

I hope this helps!! 

Edited by Beagle2006

My overall GPA was a 2.48 and my program GPA was a 2.8 I really wanna do grad school but I only focus on the classes that deals with social work I do not take my other courses seriously

Edited by AWoodard

Grad school is a lot different than undergrad, most if not all of your classes will be social work related. 

I would suggest taking a few grad courses as a non degree seeking student, to see if you like it.  I took a few in education counseling, and sociology, to really decide what I wanted to do. 

A lot of schools will offer you the option to submit GRE scores if you felt that your GPA did not reflect. My GPA was under 3.0, my GRE scores were not great and I got in to all but one of the schools I applied to.

You have to have something else though. I worked and volunteered for 3 years before applying and I think that was my saving grace.

I know, as an athlete, you don't have much free time. But any chance you can volunteer for a crisis hot-line, summer special needs camps, pick up an in-field part-time job, internship, etc? That will give you valuable experience that will help bolster your application. 

I am looking into temple Fordham Rutgers schools close to New Jersey I have done 400 intern hours for the NJ Juvenile Justice Commission and volunteer work at the covenant house

Work your butt off on your applications, get stellar recommendation letters, and do everything in your power to show how you overcame those hardships. You have a resume, you have a chance. I just accepted I was working from a disadvantage from others with my GPA and worked to death on my essays and with the writers of my LOR. Luckily, you picked a field that's understanding of hard times hitting.

Good luck!

Okay, coming from a person who graduated with a 2.32, I took a couple of years off and worked in my field to get some experience. I did take a longer route and got a general Masters of Human Services at Liberty and graduated with a 3.6, to prove that I can do graduate work. I was accepted into 4 out 5 schools that I applied to.

Continue doing your community service and take a couple of non degree seeking classes to prove that you can do graduate level work. I explained in my SOP's why my GPA was low and how this does not reflect on my current character.

Good Luck!

Edited by nicoleraychelle

• 2 weeks later...

Will a low law school GPA (3.006) hold me back from MSW programs?  I did much better in undergrad (3.82, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa).  Sociology and Anthropology major with a Spanish minor.  

Opal, your gpa might not necessarily hold your. back. But you have to show you strengths elsewhere. Honestly, the jump from soc to law to sw may be a bigger detriment as it looms like indecisiveness if not handled properly.

So why those programs? What's the theme? Any experience to show why this is the right fit?

Edited by psychkita

I have extensive experience, legal and otherwise, working with underserved communities (immigrants, victims of trauma, inmates, etc.) through paid employment, internships, and volunteer work.  AmeriCorps alum. Fluent in Spanish and Hindi.  

I was forced to withdraw from law school for mental health/disciplinary reasons, and I am not sure whether they will take me back.  So social work is my plan B because I am so passionate about public service.   

I have extensive experience, legal and otherwise, working with underserved communities (immigrants, victims of trauma, inmates, etc.) through paid employment, internships, and volunteer work.  AmeriCorps alum. Fluent in Spanish and Hindi.  

I was forced to withdraw from law school for mental health/disciplinary reasons, and I am not sure whether they will take me back.  So social work is my plan B because I am so passionate about public service.   

Then yes, the GPA will definitely not cripple you. Search around at programs, see what their expectations are. For some, a GPA minimum may be required. But on the masters level that is typically a 3.0-3.25, if it even exists. I think with your experience, you may also want to consider applying to programs that offer a social work and law degree, or a social work with law focus. See if you can draw that into some of the programs. That way, you can also tie in all of those interests, and demonstrate more direction. Plus, you'll have more options down the road.

Then yes, the GPA will definitely not cripple you. Search around at programs, see what their expectations are. For some, a GPA minimum may be required. But on the masters level that is typically a 3.0-3.25, if it even exists. I think with your experience, you may also want to consider applying to programs that offer a social work and law degree, or a social work with law focus. See if you can draw that into some of the programs. That way, you can also tie in all of those interests, and demonstrate more direction. Plus, you'll have more options down the road.

Thanks.  I am specifically looking at Penn, Temple and West Chester.  I must stay in the greater Philadelphia region for health reasons.  I am just worried that my disciplinary history at the law school will screw me over, even though I have done everything I possibly could to atone for my past misconduct.  

Thanks.  I am specifically looking at Penn, Temple and West Chester.  I must stay in the greater Philadelphia region for health reasons.  I am just worried that my disciplinary history at the law school will screw me over, even though I have done everything I possibly could to atone for my past misconduct.  

I'm in a similar situation. I'm looking only at schools within a commutable range from Philadelphia which is very limiting. I suggest figuring out what you think is commutable to try and apply to about 10 programs. Some of those schools you're looking at among the most competitive, so more options are rather important. My radius is within a 1 1/2 hour drive. I could only find about 8 programs, but you might have some better luck!

Just discovered Rutgers-Camden's MSW program.  That is doable from suburban Philly.

I don't think I could stomach a 3 hour daily commute both ways!  I am bipolar and I have to stay in the metro-Philadelphia region because all of my treatment providers are located here.  

Just discovered Rutgers-Camden's MSW program.  That is doable from suburban Philly.

I don't think I could stomach a 3 hour daily commute both ways!  I am bipolar and I have to stay in the metro-Philadelphia region because all of my treatment providers are located here.  

Those limitations may make things a little more difficult for you. With your credentials and your passion for helping, you are more than qualified, but allow yourself a back-up plan if you don't receive the acceptance this application cycle. For instance, I'm allowing myself 3 years of applications, and then in April (when I'm hoping to hear back), I'm also applying to relevant FT jobs. That way, I'm overlapping choices, and if I hear the wrong one, I still have something to be excited about. 

Those limitations may make things a little more difficult for you. With your credentials and your passion for helping, you are more than qualified, but allow yourself a back-up plan if you don't receive the acceptance this application cycle. For instance, I'm allowing myself 3 years of applications, and then in April (when I'm hoping to hear back), I'm also applying to relevant FT jobs. That way, I'm overlapping choices, and if I hear the wrong one, I still have something to be excited about. 

Bryn Mawr College offers an MSS (Masters in Social Service).  Is that equivalent to an MSW?  It is a commutable distance from my home.  

Is a 3.82 undergraduate GPA good enough for Penn MSW? Had a bad first three semesters in undergrad, but almost straights As from fall 2007 to spring 2010.  In addition, does ranking of MSW programs matter in terms of job opportunities?  Will I have more options with a Penn degree as opposed to an West Chester? Penn is hella expensive!

Bryn Mawr College offers an MSS (Masters in Social Service).  Is that equivalent to an MSW?  It is a commutable distance from my home.  

Is a 3.82 undergraduate GPA good enough for Penn MSW? Had a bad first three semesters in undergrad, but almost straights As from fall 2007 to spring 2010.  In addition, does ranking of MSW programs matter in terms of job opportunities?  Will I have more options with a Penn degree as opposed to an West Chester? Penn is hella expensive!

Okay, that's a lot of different worries. First off, your undergraduate grades meet the criteria. That's not a concern. Grad school admissions, especially at more prestigious programs like PENN, have two concerns before the interview. 1) Qualifications: GPA, GRE, research/job experience, etc. and 2) Best Fit: personal statement, letters of recommendation, and professional identity developed through research/job experiences

That's why I asked about your work experiences earlier, because "best fit" is actually the most important part of your applications. Those experience show your professional identity and really highlight what you want to do and why. The more competitive the program, the less slots available and the more that fit is important. 

Now, if you take that same approach to the job market, they also care about qualifications and fit. Some places care about prestige, but really, you see that more in academia than anywhere else. And it is easy to whittle out which departments have concerns with it. Really, your previous work experience, plus program internship requirements, will land you work quickly.  

I can't speak as to Bryn Mawr College qualifications. Maybe look at old graduates and look into where they're working now. Or even ask the secretary.