2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

Every time I get an email notification I rush to my phone like a crazy person, even though I know there's next to no chance I'll hear anything until after new years by this point. I'm dying to hear back from UNC and Emory at this point <_< 

23 minutes ago, YouCantBcereus said:

Every time I get an email notification I rush to my phone like a crazy person, even though I know there's next to no chance I'll hear anything until after new years by this point. I'm dying to hear back from UNC and Emory at this point <_< 

Which programs/tracks at those schools?

5 minutes ago, peachypie said:

Which programs/tracks at those schools?

UNC BBSP (Microbiology and Immunology) and Emory GDBBS Microbiology and Molecular Genetics. I know both of them have already sent out several interviews.

Edited by YouCantBcereus

Hello everyone. I'm international applicant and wondering whether internationals receive invitations later than domestic applicants. Do you think it's annoying to e-mail them about my application status? I think they did not update it.

For those applying to TSRI, they are sending it in waves. My app was only completed and sent for review 19 Dec, and as of yesterday they haven't reviewed mine. I listed Cali schools. I'm an international student :)

Hey guys, new to GradCafe. Just wanted to provide an update for my application progress:

UW (Seattle): My only invite so far. I received an e-mail on Dec 17 for interview invitation. I'll be heading up for the first session, Feb 2-3 (The other session is Feb 3-4). Does anyone know how many interview invites are sent for UW (Seattle)? And how many acceptances? 

Harvard & UCLA: I noticed in the survey that people received interview invites from Harvard & UCLA. Does anyone know if that will be it for these programs? I think that may be it for Harvard at this point b/c their interviews are in late January, but UCLA?

I applied to 8 total programs and have only received one interview invite so far, so I'm hoping there will be more interview waves coming. Thanks, everyone for your posts so far -- glad other people are in the same boat as me. 

IDK if people are still doing this, but filling in forms gives me some comfort so here it goes:

Undergrad Institution: Small Private (mid-tier university)
Major(s): Biology
GPA in Major: 3.7
Overall GPA: 3.75
Position in Class: Above Average
Type of Student: Domestic, Male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 161
V: 170
W: 4.5

*Note: received a mild concussion the night before the GRE during basketball practice, which affected my working memory. I had previously been performing better in Quant than Verbal. I felt like I was "living in the present" during the Quant section b/c an inability to reflect during questions. It was an interesting day, but I'm thankful it turned out decently.   

Research Experience: 1 years student RA & 2 years full-time RA in neuroscience lab, 3 publications, 3 conferences
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Fulbright Research Fellow, Honors Program
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 4 years volunteer in a free clinic
Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Men's Basketball Team

Applying to Where:

Harvard

University of Washington

UCLA

UCSD

USC

1 hour ago, airchina said:

IDK if people are still doing this, but filling in forms gives me some comfort so here it goes:

Undergrad Institution: Small Private (mid-tier university)
Major(s): Biology
GPA in Major: 3.7
Overall GPA: 3.75
Position in Class: Above Average
Type of Student: Domestic, Male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 161
V: 170
W: 4.5

*Note: received a mild concussion the night before the GRE during basketball practice, which affected my working memory. I had previously been performing better in Quant than Verbal. I felt like I was "living in the present" during the Quant section b/c an inability to reflect during questions. It was an interesting day, but I'm thankful it turned out decently.   

Research Experience: 1 years student RA & 2 years full-time RA in neuroscience lab, 3 publications, 3 conferences
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Fulbright Research Fellow, Honors Program
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 4 years volunteer in a free clinic
Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Men's Basketball Team

Applying to Where:

Harvard

University of Washington

UCLA

UCSD

USC

Wait, you played college basketball? Holy shit with those honors good job (not sure if grad school cares about this but still). It would have helped to apply for a variety of schools to improve those chances, but you look like a very solid candidate and stand a real chance for USC and UW.

So my fall grades come in today and it turns out one of my professors from the series of microbiology graduate classes I took this semester forgot to put in grades.  Now I get to wait for him to do that before I can submit them to Princeton.  How do you just forget to submit an entire class of grades??? :angry:  I'm just venting because it's the worst time of year for tthis.

Thank you @biosci! I am too! Unfortunately their recruitment date conflicts with Michigan's, so I'm really hoping Harvard can move me to their alternate weekend. 

Thank you as well, @SpartanNerd1021! Definitely a reach for me as well; this was a very pleasant surprise. I hope you hear back from them soon!

Edited by bicsy

Just now, bicsy said:

Thank you @biosci! I am too! Unfortunately their recruitment date conflicts with Michigan's, so I'm really hoping Harvard can move me to their alternate weekend. 

I am having the exact same problem with CSHL.  I know they have another weekend that I am free for, so I really hope they will let me attend it or I will be very sad :( 

4 minutes ago, biosci said:

I am having the exact same problem with CSHL.  I know they have another weekend that I am free for, so I really hope they will let me attend it or I will be very sad :( 

I wish they would just let us pick which date works well for us, like a lot of other programs do.

But I guess this problem is to be expected when we apply to 10+ schools ;)

Hey, has anyone asked Weill Cornell about an alternate interview weekend besides Jan 20-22? Just wondering what the dates would be (if they're doing an alternate weekend). I emailed them a couple of days ago but no response yet. 

3 minutes ago, biosci said:

I honestly had no idea I would get this many invites.  I was seriously panicking about not getting any!

I was too. For a few weeks I was kicking myself for not applying to lower tier schools. I had no idea how competitive my application really was, and one of my recommenders told me that I would have "a couple" choices to make, which made it seem like I would only get 2-3 interviews!

5 minutes ago, bicsy said:

I was too. For a few weeks I was kicking myself for not applying to lower tier schools. I had no idea how competitive my application really was

Me too!  I come from a small liberal arts school and don't have any publications, so I really had no idea how to gauge my application.  So happy.

Also, just heard from CSHL that I can attend the other weekend :)

Plus, visit to the optometrist today to get new contacts, so great day :) 

Edited by biosci