2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

14 minutes ago, Jmoney$$ said:

If anyone hears from Stanford or Berkeley MCB today can they post?

I'm hitting refresh over and over on my email...

I too share your anxiousness...

According to the "results" database - some people heard from Berkeley MCB informally via a professor they were in contact with prior to xmas, and several of these state that a formal email would arrive 1/4/16. An email from berkeley a while back confirmed submission of application, and stated that people would be contacted between 1/4 -1/8 for an interview.

I'm not sure at all about Stanford, but prior results would suggest later this week, either by email or even a hard copy letter. If the latter is the case, and given their office was closed for 2 weeks over the holiday, I would imagine they would be JUST beginning the process of sending emails or letters today at the very earliest.

36 minutes ago, RaganSmash said:

The same thing has actually crossed my mind too, and Focus also lives in the Pacific Northwest so you may be right about it being a local thing. Tempted to contact them again today since she last told me everyone would know their status by the end of December. But to be blunt, now that I see there are at least three of us on here in this position I feel a bit worse about each of our chances.

Maybe having several of us in the situation lessens our chances, or maybe it doesn't. I would guess they track their admissions statistics pretty close even if they don't publish them all. If they feel they have a need for a waiting list, they have probably had a history of using it. 

Again, I could just be deluding myself. But I think hope remains.  

35 minutes ago, Torbjornen said:

Maybe having several of us in the situation lessens our chances, or maybe it doesn't. I would guess they track their admissions statistics pretty close even if they don't publish them all. If they feel they have a need for a waiting list, they have probably had a history of using it. 

Again, I could just be deluding myself. But I think hope remains.  

No you're right, I just let my anxiety spill over a bit. I'm somewhat forcing pessimism on myself as a way to mitigate disappointment. But the fact remains, they have denied admission to a lot of people and have declined to do so with us yet, so there must be some reason for it.

Edited by RaganSmash

Hello! Back again with more logistical questions. Sooo which option would be better?

1. Tell one program I only need a one-way flight to their interview so that I can fly to a different program's interview instead of home. (I already confirmed with the second program that they could fly me from the city of the first program instead of my hometown)

2. Just take the later interview date for the second program. 

I would prefer option #1 because these two programs are my top choices and I know it's better to interview earlier. Also I would rather have one hectic weekend before my semester begins than have to travel a weekend later in my semester...but I'm worried the first program will frown upon me for asking for a one-way flight since it's obvious I would be flying to another school.

SOS

P.S. Crazy person thought: I could just book a round trip flight for the first program and not actually take the flight home???

2 minutes ago, Bacterrific said:

Hello! Back again with more logistical questions. Sooo which option would be better?

1. Tell one program I only need a one-way flight to their interview so that I can fly to a different program's interview instead of home. (I already confirmed with the second program that they could fly me from the city of the first program instead of my hometown)

2. Just take the later interview date for the second program. 

I would prefer option #1 because these two programs are my top choices and I know it's better to interview earlier. Also I would rather have one hectic weekend before my semester begins than have to travel a weekend later in my semester...but I'm worried the first program will frown upon me for asking for a one-way flight since it's obvious I would be flying to another school.

SOS

P.S. Crazy person thought: I could just book a round trip flight for the first program and not actually take the flight home???

#1. They know they aren't your only option, and it saves them money anyway. You haven't made any commitments so there's no shame in playing the field. :-P

I got an email invite from UC Berkeley MCB this morning at 8:18 am. I was also contacted by a POI before the holidays to receive the unofficial interview invite. 

1 hour ago, jordy_protein said:

Same....

1 hour ago, AstronautSteve said:

I too share your anxiousness...

According to the "results" database - some people heard from Berkeley MCB informally via a professor they were in contact with prior to xmas, and several of these state that a formal email would arrive 1/4/16. An email from berkeley a while back confirmed submission of application, and stated that people would be contacted between 1/4 -1/8 for an interview.

I'm not sure at all about Stanford, but prior results would suggest later this week, either by email or even a hard copy letter. If the latter is the case, and given their office was closed for 2 weeks over the holiday, I would imagine they would be JUST beginning the process of sending emails or letters today at the very earliest.

2 minutes ago, Ferroportin said:

I got an email invite from UC Berkeley MCB this morning at 8:18 am. I was also contacted by a POI before the holidays to receive the unofficial interview invite. 

Butts.

Well still holding out for Stanford.

anyone hear from WashU in St. Louis about psych programs yet? My POI contacted me to see if I had questions about his lab and then he sent me his grant proposal but he hasn't asked me to interview or anything official yet... I feel like this is good that he reached out to me but I also really just want some news on my application status there... the wait is killing me 

16 minutes ago, ms_green_genes said:

Stanford's website says they will officially begin reviewing apps today. Assuming that's the case, I wouldn't expect to hear anything today.

The website says they will CONTACT selected applicants this week. The applications have already been reviewed.

52 minutes ago, RaganSmash said:

#1. They know they aren't your only option, and it saves them money anyway. You haven't made any commitments so there's no shame in playing the field. :-P

But in theory do you think they would figure out if I booked a round trip flight and didn't get on the flight home? I know it's a waste of money but the idea of asking for a one-way flight doesn't sit right with me, which is probably irrational.

1 minute ago, Bacterrific said:

But in theory do you think they would figure out if I booked a round trip flight and didn't get on the flight home? I know it's a waste of money but the idea of asking for a one-way flight doesn't sit right with me, which is probably irrational.

Deception sits worse with me, I just generally feel it's best to be above board about it. You save them money with the one way flight and if they ask you about any other interviews you don't have to lie. If anything I feel they would appreciate your integrity.

59 minutes ago, Jmoney$$ said:

Butts.

Well still holding out for Stanford.

Me too! According to the survey, looks like last year all of the invites were sent out via phone call on the Friday of the first week back from break - so I am giving myself til the end of the week to wallow in wine coolers. ETA: sorry this was for Neuroscience BTW

Edited by brainsandeggs

1 minute ago, brainsandeggs said:

Me too! According to the survey, looks like last year all of the invites were sent out via phone call on the Friday of the first week back from break - so I am giving myself til the end of the week to wallow in wine coolers. ETA: sorry this was for Neuroscience BTW

Yeah I applied for cancer bio. Either way (good news or bad news) im going to load up on franzia friday.:lol:

4 minutes ago, Jmoney$$ said:

Yeah I applied for cancer bio. Either way (good news or bad news) im going to load up on franzia friday.:lol:

I feel like we need a thread to discuss our favorite wines to drink while trying to remain calm.... I like Yellowtail Cabernet and Black Box Pino Grigio :)

3 minutes ago, Dr. Brains said:

I feel like we need a thread to discuss our favorite wines to drink while trying to remain calm.... I like Yellowtail Cabernet and Black Box Pino Grigio :)

I'm more of a beer person. Because I'm applying specifically in MO, I've been drinking exclusively Schafly (local St. Louis brew) for good mojo. Unfortunately, I don't know how to pronounce it.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Brains said:

Trader Joe's has a great selection of wine- I'm a fan of German white wines. It's probably a good thing that it's a 20+ min walk from my place...

Just now, 123hardasABC said:

I'm more of a beer person. Because I'm applying specifically in MO, I've been drinking exclusively Schafly (local St. Louis brew) for good mojo. Unfortunately, I don't know how to pronounce it.

Maybe I'll see you around at WUSTL if we both get in! WUSTL is my #1 choice and I just heard from my POI (though he was very vague about my application status). I've actually been struggling with his vagueness because he emailed me, asked if i had questions, had a little chat about some mutual people we know (Professors I've taken classes with at my school who he's worked with before), sent me a grant he has in progress, but then told me he was leaving for vacation and I haven heard back from him since the 1st. Recruitment weekend is Feb 11-12th so now I'm freaking out:

59 minutes ago, Dr. Brains said:

anyone hear from Wash U in St. Louis about psych programs yet? My POI contacted me to see if I had questions about his lab and then he sent me his grant proposal but he hasn't asked me to interview or anything official yet... I feel like this is good that he reached out to me but I also really just want some news on my application status there... the wait is killing me 

You have any info/tips?

OH FFS. I just called my boss (I work at a Seattle biotech company and he is well connected and wrote a letter of recommendation) to talk business and he answered with "Hi Doctor!" to which I said something like "HJVHJVHGYTVHGDGR DO YOU KNOW SOMETHING" and no, he does not know anything. NOT COOL MAN

Edited by RaganSmash
language