2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

4 minutes ago, Gram Neutral said:

Looks like Vanderbilt sent out first round invites. I was wondering when that would happen. Hopefully some of you got one! I sure as hell wasn't expecting one Haha. 

OMG I KNOW I'M SO EXCITED!!!!  It really takes a weight off to know that I'm interviewing at least SOMEWHERE.

Although I wish I didn't have to front the money to travel.  :P

5 minutes ago, Gram Neutral said:

Looks like Vanderbilt sent out first round invites. I was wondering when that would happen. Hopefully some of you got one! I sure as hell wasn't expecting one Haha. 

1 minute ago, biochemgirl67 said:

OMG I KNOW I'M SO EXCITED!!!!  It really takes a weight off to know that I'm interviewing at least SOMEWHERE.

Yay! Congrats!:D:D

3 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

When did you submit your application? 

6 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

Don't they pay for your interview-related costs?

And congrats!! :D

Edited by Bioenchilada

7 minutes ago, Gram Neutral said:
24 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

Don't they pay for your interview-related costs?

And congrats!! :D

Yeah but it's reimbursement.

9 minutes ago, jayelko said:

When did you guys apply at Vanderbilt? And did they call or send emails? Also when are the interviews?  I'm a big anxious mess haha

November  8th, Got an email, and January 15th and 28th :D

Congrats! I need to clarify lol, I didn't get a Vanderbilt interview. I just saw it on the survey. I meant I wasn't expecting an interview in the first round, so I wasn't disappointed that I didn't get one yet. They send them out in a lot of waves. 

Edited by Gram Neutral

1 hour ago, brainsandeggs said:

Got one for Mt. Sinai - excited! Thank god they didn't call me and try to ask me questions, I was commuting to work and would have been totally brain dead :o

Congratulations! That's a great program!

hey guys, how important do you think having publications is in getting into different schools? i know a few people who've been accepted to uc schools without any pubs but to my knowledge that's quite rare for top tiers?

Just now, 4eyes said:

hey guys, how important do you think having publications is in getting into different schools? i know a few people who've been accepted to uc schools without any pubs but to my knowledge that's quite rare for top tiers?

NO, not at all. Most applicants don't have publications. They will definitely help if you have lower test scores/GPA.  It won't hurt you if you don't have any but it definitely helps if you have them. 

Just now, ilovelab said:

NO, not at all. Most applicants don't have publications. They will definitely help if you have lower test scores/GPA.  It won't hurt you if you don't have any but it definitely helps if you have them. 

ah ok, cool. getting your name on something does seem to be quite luck-based at the undergrad level, but the kids in the year above me who all got into great schools seemed to all have at least a few mid authorships. thanks for the input!

8 minutes ago, 4eyes said:

Lol I quoted the wrong person earlier. I answered your question in the last page.

2 minutes ago, ruckaround said:

I also applied to these. Waiting is hard.

No kidding. At least we can all come here and talk about nothing! 

All my coworkers know I'm applying and I wish they'd stop asking me about it-- I submitted like 4 business days ago, no I haven't heard anything! :)

Edited by parafilm

Unless they changed their times Michigan PIBS will send out interviews before christmas. Each of the departments sends the offers out at different times. 

I got a Michigan Pibs offer Dec 19th(ish), UChicago: Dec 10, UWashington: dec 12, Vanderbilt Dec 15, U Arizona Jan 5th, UTSW: Dec 11. (These are rough dates... it was years ago). 

If you don't hear by christmas don't freak out, some schools send the interviews in waves esp Vanderbilt which had like 6 interview weekends when I interviewed. 

Good luck with interviews!!! I know how stressful it can be especially when you see someone post an interview offer on the results page and you haven't received one yet. 

OK. How much do fall grades matter? I feel utterly unprepared for my finals this week because I only started studying after submitting (ugh). I'm probably going to get a couple of Bs. I don't want to sound like I'm whining but I have to face the facts I guess.

1 minute ago, adiJ said:

OK. How much do fall grades matter? I feel utterly unprepared for my finals this week because I only started studying after submitting (ugh). I'm probably going to get a couple of Bs. I don't want to sound like I'm whining but I have to face the facts I guess.

The minute Harvard sees a B on your transcript you're on their donezo list      \s

all jokes aside, I'm sure fall grades aren't going to make too much of a difference, in the sense that 4-6 classes probably won't change your cumulative GPA that much and adcoms probably understand that we've all been anxious the recent weeks, so a couple B's won't be the end of the world unless. Just no C's :P