2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

38 minutes ago, Sarahjc said:

I got an interview at Duke!! I got a call from a PI i mentioned in my personal statement and then her emailed to confirm.

Congratulations! That's so exciting to get a call from a PI you're interested in working with!

52 minutes ago, Sarahjc said:

I got an interview at Duke!! I got a call from a PI i mentioned in my personal statement and then her emailed to confirm.

Oh shit. Luckily we aren't applying to the same department but fingers crossed for the invites!

Congrats! this is happening too soon :x

7 minutes ago, Focus said:

I got a call and email from U Colorado Denver; officially invited for an interview! 
I'm beyond excited!

Congrats! That's so exciting!

11 minutes ago, Earl said:

I don't know what to do with myself while waiting!!!!  Are interview invites generally sent out before the holidays (Christmas) for programs with Dec 1st deadlines??  

For what it's worth, all the programs I applied to last year had Dec 1st/2nd deadlines, and the last place I heard back from about interviewing got back to me by Dec 22nd-ish. I was also surprised by how short the overall turn-around time was, but I think schools really want to solidify interviews ASAP to avoid the unavoidable conflicts that will inevitably happen. There are only so many weekends Jan-March! However, that's not to say people didn't get interview invites in Jan (or even Feb or later) either, so I think it's also somewhat program specific.

Also, huge congrats to those getting invites already and good luck to everyone! If anyone has any questions about interviewing at the programs I applied to last year (in my sig) or anything, feel free me to message me!

14 minutes ago, stygldbby said:

For what it's worth, all the programs I applied to last year had Dec 1st/2nd deadlines, and the last place I heard back from about interviewing got back to me by Dec 22nd-ish. I was also surprised by how short the overall turn-around time was, but I think schools really want to solidify interviews ASAP to avoid the unavoidable conflicts that will inevitably happen. There are only so many weekends Jan-March! However, that's not to say people didn't get interview invites in Jan (or even Feb or later) either, so I think it's also somewhat program specific.

Also, huge congrats to those getting invites already and good luck to everyone! If anyone has any questions about interviewing at the programs I applied to last year (in my sig) or anything, feel free me to message me!

Okay, so it will either be a happy Christmas or a depressing one haha...  Thanks for your feedback.  Yeah, 2-3 weeks to review all those apps and decide on invites is a really quick turn-around time!  For Harvard science graduate programs, I noticed that many people got invites around mid-Dec, which is coming up fast...

Some of my programs I applied to seem to historically send out invites in mid January even though they have a Dec 1 due date. There is a list here where you can look up your programs and see about when they give out invites for the past couple of years. It's at

http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/

4 hours ago, Earl said:

I don't know what to do with myself while waiting!!!!  Are interview invites generally sent out before the holidays (Christmas) for programs with Dec 1st deadlines??  

I don't think they're always sent out so early.
I submitted my UColorado Denver app pretty early (late-September). I know @Azia said that she submitted to her app several weeks ago (early November?).

I'm thinking the earlier the app was submitted the quicker the turn around? Perhaps it might just be a "top of the pile" type admissions process for some programs.
Honestly, I was surprised to receive an invite so early. I saw most of the programs anticipate invitations going out early to mid-January.

2 hours ago, Focus said:

I submitted my UColorado Denver app pretty early (late-September). I know @Azia said that she submitted to her app several weeks ago (early November?).

I'm thinking the earlier the app was submitted the quicker the turn around? Perhaps it might just be a "top of the pile" type admissions process for some programs.
Honestly, I was surprised to receive an invite so early. I saw most of the programs anticipate invitations going out early to mid-January.

UConn and UMass sent some interview invites before their 12/1 deadlines, even. 

So I'm late to jump on this bandwagon...

Undergrad Institution: Ivy
Major(s): Biochemistry 
Minor(s): NA
GPA in Major: 3.81
Overall GPA: 3.85
Position in Class: N/A
Type of Student: International Asian Female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):[combined from 2 tests]
Q: 168
V: 159
W: 5
Didn't take subject test

Research Experience: 1 project in Grade 10, 2 projects in Grade 11, 1 summer internship (all in research institutes) 1.5 years in undergrad, currently a research officer with my own project. no publications[prob will submit a manuscript before grad sch, tying up a project], 1 conference abstract, bronze award for a poster at a science and engineering fair, distinction for my research project which I took as a subject under the GCE A levels. 

Cancer biology projects, molecular techniques like RTPCR, Western Blot, MTT etc, basic training with mice, rats and rabbits. Gaining experience working with mice. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Sigma Xi, Phi Beta Kappa, Magna Cum Laude
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Biochemistry TA for a semester, research officer since graduation[6 months so far, will work until PhD]

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

I had full funding for my undergraduate studies under a scholarship, and I have 5 years of funding for my PhD studies from an external source. 

Special Bonus Points: Nothing much, I came from a liberal arts sorta ivy[dead giveaway], did a lot of theater, acting, writing, directing, dramaturgy, social activism work, so I guess I'm a pretty "all rounded" student

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

Scripps Research Institute

MD Anderson through UT Houston

Rockefeller

Icahn at Mt Sinai

Gerstner Sloan Kettering

Stanford

Harvard

UCSF

I have 2 LORs from professors that discovered the gene/protein that is the center of their research area, and 1 from my course prof who knows me well..3 of my LORs are late already, trying not to stress about it since there's nothing I can do. the major 2 are in already so ah well. 

congrats to everyone who got their interviews!

I suppose I'll write now so I can copy it later when I get results. Neuroscience programs

Undergrad Institution: Huge state
Major(s): Neuroscience
Minor(s): Secret
GPA in Major: ~3.83
Overall GPA: ~3.83
Position in Class: Top 15%
Type of Student: "Asian" male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 163
V: 167
W: 4.5

Research Experience: Two years at home institution lab + two summer fellowships here. Several posters. Two manuscripts in prep, one first author and one fifth author.

Honors thesis with someone else. Very closely related to my specific field of interest.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: A few home fellowships, some miscellaneous awards/scholarships

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: Three great LORs. The best one is from a fairly renowned scientist

Applying to Where: University of Minnesota, Columbia, Princeton, University of Delaware (Psych department), WashU, UC Davis, UC Berkeley

2 minutes ago, mwgskol said:

.......... Do you guys have any suggestions on how to stop refreshing my emails? I have finals coming up next week but I can't stop refreshing my email to see if I got an invite....D:

I too have finals next week and am having problems focusing... should probably stay off of this site.... Luckily my hardest final is Monday morning and the invites won't be coming over the weekend, so the e-mail refreshing is on hold :)

Oh lord, I can't believe you guys are already getting interview invites! Congratulations!! I'm super jealous - I think all of my programs start sending out invites in January, but now I am going to scour the forums to make sure! Good luck!

13 hours ago, Focus said:

Yeah I had all my applications in by the first week of November but my last recommendation didn't come in until Monday. They might pre-screen even if recommendations aren't in to get an idea of applicants. Since I was invited by a PI, it might also just be that he's on top of applications more than others

I am applying to:

1) Princeton University, PhD in Molecular Biology

2) Stanford University, PhD in Genetics

3) Brown University, PhD in MCB

Wish you guys the best of luck with your applications! And, please generously inform all of us when you get an interview invitation (that would kill the wait, more or less; esp. for the institutions/programmes above!)