2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

9 minutes ago, Jyouie said:

I am applying to:

1) Princeton University, PhD in Molecular Biology

2) Stanford University, PhD in Genetics

3) Brown University, PhD in MCB

Wish you guys the best of luck with your applications! And, please generously inform all of us when you get an interview invitation (that would kill the wait, more or less; esp. for the institutions/programmes above!)

Wow just 3 schools..

2 hours ago, Bioenchilada said:

Adele's 25. Just saying.

I tried and it was a little too depressing. 

3 hours ago, Gram Positive said:

@mwgskol You can listen to some Hector Lavoe, like me! :) 

Or try out this addictive RNA folding game: http://www.eternagame.org/web/

Congrats to everyone getting invites, BTW! :)

Now I'm just listening to Ed Sheeran and playing this game... lol AND 2 hours had passed.

56 minutes ago, Earl said:

Wow just 3 schools..

I talked to people on adcomm and they told me applying to too many schools is actually frown upon.... But they also understand that people want to make sure they are actually getting in somewhere

Edited by mwgskol
missing information!

5 minutes ago, Earl said:

Just curious, what is everyone's Plan B?  Would you apply again if it doesn't work out this year?

I will start my job hunting if I didn't get any interview invites by ... probably late Jan? And yea probably apply again, but I really don't know how much I can improve my profile except my GRE verbral score... so hopefully it works out this year!!!:wub:

7 minutes ago, Earl said:

Just curious, what is everyone's Plan B?  Would you apply again if it doesn't work out this year?

I would definitely apply again (but maybe to less prestigious schools).  I would probably either work as a research assistant or apply for the NIH IRTA

What do you guys think about emailing individual PIs and telling them you are interested in their research? Is that appropriate? To ask them to check out your application? My PI said it was but I am not sure :/ 

1 hour ago, Earl said:

Oh man.  I've worked it out; I'll get married and start and dog sitting business that will become so successful that I'll be able to vacation in Spain and never think about money again.

I mean, or get a job and eek out a living until next year when I'll reapply.

36 minutes ago, pali123 said:

What do you guys think about emailing individual PIs and telling them you are interested in their research? Is that appropriate? To ask them to check out your application? My PI said it was but I am not sure :/ 

I think that it's appropriate to do so much earlier in the application process in the fall, but I wouldn't do so after you've already submitted you application. After you've already been accepted and are trying to decide between places is also a good time to contact potential PIs. Additionally, if you do reach out to a PI, make sure you tailor your email to their research and demonstrate that you understand what they're working on and why you'd like to work with them.

Edited by Micecroscopy
revised since you're applying for 2017

2 hours ago, Earl said:

Apply for MS programs and look for jobs. I'll decide later whether or not to reapply. If I really get rejected everywhere I'll have to reconsider my goals.

7 minutes ago, Micecroscopy said:

I think that it's appropriate to do so much earlier in the application process in the fall, but I wouldn't do so after you've already submitted you application. After you've already been accepted and are trying to decide between places is also a good time to contact potential PIs. Additionally, if you do reach out to a PI, make sure you tailor your email to their research and demonstrate that you understand what they're working on and why you'd like to work with them.

Why wouldn't it be appropriate after the application? Won't it be easier for them to check you out, etc.? 

Edited by pali123

2 hours ago, Earl said:

Doing a ms now so already gone through my plan B. Hoping it doesn't come to this, but luckily I currently live in Silicon Valley where it would be pretty easy to find a job after graduating. Also, this is my second application cycle, hopefully this time they see my commitment to research.

15 minutes ago, pali123 said:

Why wouldn't it be appropriate after the application? Won't it be easier for them to check you out, etc.? 

If I were in their position, I would see it as an attempt to get your application looked at and bumped up. Doing it early in the cycle while you have no commitment to applying makes it seem like you might simply be looking for more information.

1 hour ago, pali123 said:

I wouldn't simply because it would be white noise at this point.  If you are trying to decide between schools and want to know if they'll be accepting rotation students after interviews, that would be great.  Otherwise you are kind of asking them to take time out of their day to get your application in.  All the faculty members I have talked to said they wouldn't and it's an obvious attention grab at this point in the game.

2 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

I wouldn't simply because it would be white noise at this point.  If you are trying to decide between schools and want to know if they'll be accepting rotation students after interviews, that would be great.  Otherwise you are kind of asking them to take time out of their day to get your application in.  All the faculty members I have talked to said they wouldn't and it's an obvious attention grab at this point in the game.

@pali123I agree with biochemgirl67 on this one. It's to last minute and it might actually give a negative impression, like you are asking for a favor. 

26 minutes ago, pali123 said:

Echoing what others have said, unless you're an amazing fit for them, I'd be willing to bet that many professors aren't going to take the time to check your application after you contact them. If you were really interested in working with specific PIs, why didn't you contact them in advance, provide a CV, etc.?

At most schools, the admission committee rotates from year to year. If you mentioned a specific professor in your statement of purpose and you have decent stats (GRE/GPA/LORs) than it's likely that you'll get a chance to meet with them as part of interviews. Even though most applications are short, you should have had ample room to present enough information about yourself and your interests for them to judge whether you're a good fit for the program. However, since it's hard to see just from a piece of paper, that's why they invite people for interviews!

If you end up interviewing with other professors, get in, and want to know whether your PI of interest is taking rotation / grad students, then you can go ahead and contact them. Contacting them now may signal that you're insecure about getting in and you're also not in a good position where you can ask a PI to go to bat for you.

Edited by Micecroscopy

5 minutes ago, Micecroscopy said:

Echoing what others have said, unless you're an amazing fit for them, I'd be willing to bet that many professors aren't going to take the time to check your application after you contact them. If you were really interested in working with specific PIs, why didn't you contact them in advance, provide a CV, etc.?

At most schools, the admission committee rotates from year to year. If you mentioned them in your statement of purpose and you have decent stats (GRE/GPA/LORs) than it's likely that you'll get a chance to meet with them as part of interviews. Even though most applications are short, you should have had ample room to present enough information about yourself and your interests for them to judge whether you're a good fit for the program. However, since it's hard to see just from a piece of paper, that's why they invite people for interviews!

If you end up interviewing with other professors, get in, and want to know whether your PI of interest is taking rotation / grad students, then you can go ahead and contact them. Contacting them now may signal that you're insecure about getting in and you're also not in a good position where you can ask a PI to go to bat for you.

6 minutes ago, Azia said:

@pali123I agree with biochemgirl67 on this one. It's to last minute and it might actually give a negative impression, like you are asking for a favor. 

10 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

10 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

The reason I am doing this really late is because my PI suggested that I do it after classes are done and before the application is due (Dec. 20). I am applying to a program in my university actually, and the PI I am interested in is actually a former graduate student in the lab I work in at the moment. I never met her however since this was like 10 years ago. The main reason I am applying is because that specific department told me that my application would be thrown out since I am applying from the same school (they dont accept people that apply from my university). My PI told me that the only way I could get in is if I directly contact the faculty members whose interests align with mine. The reason I am applying to the same school is because my father is very ill and I am also getting married in the summer, so I would like to stay with my future husband in the same city. I know this is TMI but these are my circumstances. My main question is what kind of letter should I write to them without seeming inappropriate, etc.? Should I explain this situation to them? 

Edited by pali123

1 minute ago, pali123 said:

The reason I am doing this really late is because my PI suggested that I do it after classes are done and before the application is due (Dec. 20). I am applying to a program in my university actually, and the PI I am interested in is actually a former graduate student in the lab I work in at the moment. I never met her however since this was like 10 years ago. The main reason I am applying is because that specific department told me that my application would be thrown out since I am applying from the same school (they dont accept people that apply from my university). My PI told me that the only way I could get in is if I directly contact the faculty members whose interests align with mine. The reason I am applying to the same school is because my father is very ill and I am also getting married in the summer, so I would like to stay with my future husband in the same city. I know this is TMI but these are my circumstances. My main question is what kind of letter should I write to them without seeming inappropriate, etc.? Should I explain this situation to them? 

I guess you really have no choice then.  It's worth a shot in this circumstance.  But be prepared that they will still not really want to talk to you because you could have sent a letter or an email with your CV and SoP months ago.  Especially since they don't accept continuing students.  I wouldn't even mention you getting married because then it will 100% seem like you're asking a favor or playing the pity card.

7 minutes ago, pali123 said:

That stinks, and that's a pretty stupid policy of your current school. I've never heard of that before. Why not accept the best candidates regardless of where they are from? You could send an email yourself, or ask your current PI to drop them an email. They are more inclined to reply from the PI I am sure. Have the PI ask if you can drop by some time real quick to their office, or give them a phone call, since I am sure their office is probably pretty close to where you work. I wouldn't explain the situation unless they ask you specifically in a follow up email. Just tell them "due to extenuating circumstances, it would be best if I stayed here, and my PI said it is potentially possible". Is it impossible to just try and be accepted into your current lab?

1 minute ago, Gram Neutral said:

That stinks, and that's a pretty stupid policy of your current school. I've never heard of that before. Why not accept the best candidates regardless of where they are from? You could send an email yourself, or ask your current PI to drop them an email. They are more inclined to reply from the PI I am sure. Have the PI ask if you can drop by some time real quick to their office, or give them a phone call, since I am sure their office is probably pretty close to where you work. I wouldn't explain the situation unless they ask you specifically in a follow up email. Just tell them "due to extenuating circumstances, it would be best if I stayed here, and my PI said it is potentially possible". Is it impossible to just try and be accepted into your current lab?

My lab is really great but I really don't want to stay especially since my school has so many labs with the research I am interested in. I like your last quote and will be making drafts of emails and send them out to my post-doc that I work with so he can see whether they are good or not. I will also ask my PI since he is probably more respected than I am haha

1 minute ago, pali123 said:

My lab is really great but I really don't want to stay especially since my school has so many labs with the research I am interested in. I like your last quote and will be making drafts of emails and send them out to my post-doc that I work with so he can see whether they are good or not. I will also ask my PI since he is probably more respected than I am haha

At my graduation, the speaker was talking about his rags to riches story. His main point was to never underestimate the power of a phone call, or meeting someone in person. Emails can be easily ignored. A face cannot. Just always stuck to me, and with people so close by, I feel like it could be used to your advantage as long as you aren't annoying about it. 

Just now, Gram Neutral said:

At my graduation, the speaker was talking about his rags to riches story. His main point was to never underestimate the power of a phone call, or meeting someone in person. Emails can be easily ignored. A face cannot. Just always stuck to me, and with people so close by, I feel like it could be used to your advantage as long as you aren't annoying about it. 

That is such a good point. Maybe I can just go by their office or something. Do you think that would be okay (without seeming annoying obviously lol)

4 minutes ago, pali123 said:

That is such a good point. Maybe I can just go by their office or something. Do you think that would be okay (without seeming annoying obviously lol)

I would ask your PI about that. I guess you also don't really have a choice right? If they don't agree in the next like 15 days, you won't get in. So you can afford to be annoying if you have to be.

Edited by Gram Neutral

1 minute ago, Gram Neutral said:

I would ask your PI about that. I guess you also don't really have a choice right? If they don't agree in the next like 15 days, you won't get in. So you can afford to be annoying if you have to be.

Okay I definitely will talk to him or email him once I go to work on Monday! Thanks for your advice! :) 

4 hours ago, pali123 said:

The main reason I am applying is because that specific department told me that my application would be thrown out since I am applying from the same school (they dont accept people that apply from my university). 

That sounds like a tough situation, I'm sorry to hear that. I have heard from a few people that it is generally frowned upon in the life sciences to do your PhD at the same institution as your undergrad or masters. I'm not really sure why that is, though. Hope it works out for the best in your case.

Edited by laxgoal100