2016 Applicants

On 2/15/2016 at 3:57 PM, ll321 said:

has anyone here heard anything about the cali schools? it's been awfully quiet on that front

I have heard from CSUSM-Interview scheduled for March 5th

Loma Linda University - Interviewed on Feb 12th and just heard yesterday night I am on their alternate list (waitlist) Claps* for speedy notification!

SDSU- Got an email 30 minutes ago saying I am on their waitlist 

Long Beach--I did NOT apply here but a friend of mine already interviewed from them...if that helps anyone out.

Chapman--I did NOT apply here but another friend of mine already interviewed with them as well.  

Glad I applied to other states as well, because those are my 2 real acceptances :)!  

Good luck everyone hope good news is traveling to your inboxes!

It seems that GPA and GRE scores are more of a focus this year and just from looking at the stats I see no one accepted with anything lower than a 3.8. How competitive has it become? I have a friend who applied last year who told me it wasn't this competitive last year and many from her cohort got accepted with 3.2-3.5 GPAs.

4 minutes ago, speechie94 said:

It seems that GPA and GRE scores are more of a focus this year and just from looking at the stats I see no one accepted with anything lower than a 3.8. How competitive has it become? I have a friend who applied last year who told me it wasn't this competitive last year and many from her cohort got accepted with 3.2-3.5 GPAs.

That's what I really worry about. I have a 3.0 from undergrad and can't do anything to change that. I'm worried my good post-bac grades won't matter in comparison to my bad undergrad GPA. It sucks because I literally can't do a single thing about my undergrad grades but that doesn't mean I want to be an SLP any less. It's a bummer :(

Edited by slptobe92

7 minutes ago, speechie94 said:

Which school are you referring to, with no acceptances under 3.8 ?

I have a question that's going to expose just how naive I am about this whole world and process: if I've received an acceptance and am still considering it, waiting for responses from other schools, etc., I just...don't say anything, right? As I type this, I know that's what I'm supposed to do, but, well, I'm paranoid. I'm not used to letting important correspondence simply sit in my inbox, hahaha. It's just another question along the lines of: what if they made a mistake and I wasn't meant to receive that email? What if they take another look at my application and decide they don't like me after all? Ahh. Ahhhhh. ?

I have a few questions about the program, though, and I guess  reaching out and asking for more information would also be a method of expressing that I received the acceptance and am interested...

I actually have another, related question about etiquette. I was accepted by U of O, and they have a Visit Day where prospective students can meet current students and professors, ask questions, tour campus, etc. I would absolutely love to attend but I've very unfortunately got something else that day that I've just got to prioritize. ? Is it appropriate for me to not attend, but still reach out and ask questions or speak to an advisor? I feel like that's basically me saying, "we have to do it on my timeline!" rather than conforming to the opportunity they're offering. But I do genuinely have a few questions I would like to have answered, particularly about prerequisite coursework between now and September. 

I'm scared of making a mistake, in case that wasn't clear. Ha. Appreciate any help!

Edited by Cowsy

14 minutes ago, Cowsy said:

I have a question that's going to expose just how naive I am about this whole world and process: if I've received an acceptance and am still considering it, waiting for responses from other schools, etc., I just...don't say anything, right? As I type this, I know that's what I'm supposed to do, but, well, I'm paranoid. I'm not used to letting important correspondence simply sit in my inbox, hahaha. It's just another question along the lines of: what if they made a mistake and I wasn't meant to receive that email? What if they take another look at my application and decide they don't like me after all? Ahh. Ahhhhh. ?

I have a few questions about the program, though, and I guess  reaching out and asking for more information would also be a method of expressing that I received the acceptance and am interested...

I actually have another, related question about etiquette. I was accepted by U of O, and they have a Visit Day where prospective students can meet current students and professors, ask questions, tour campus, etc. I would absolutely love to attend but I've very unfortunately got something else that day that I've just got to prioritize. ? Is it appropriate for me to not attend, but still reach out and ask questions or speak to an advisor? I feel like that's basically me saying, "we have to do it on my timeline!" rather than conforming to the opportunity they're offering. But I do genuinely have a few questions I would like to have answered, particularly about prerequisite coursework between now and September. 

I'm scared of making a mistake, in case that wasn't clear. Ha. Appreciate any help!

I can't attend the open house either, but will try to do the "virtual" online part.  Everyone I've spoken to and emailed has been super friendly - I'm sure they won't mind if you ask to speak to an advisor or professor.  If you want PM me with your questions just in case I've already asked and received answers.  And you don't have to respond to the acceptance - I'm sure they know we are waiting to hear about financial aid as well as other acceptances. :)

39 minutes ago, slptobe92 said:

That's what I really worry about. I have a 3.0 from undergrad and can't do anything to change that. I'm worried my good post-bac grades won't matter in comparison to my bad undergrad GPA. It sucks because I literally can't do a single thing about my undergrad grades but that doesn't mean I want to be an SLP any less. It's a bummer :(

35 minutes ago, Jolie717 said:

Which school are you referring to, with no acceptances under 3.8 ?

@slptobe92 It is really unfortunate that grad school admissions, in general, have come to this. So many potentially amazing SLPs are getting rejected.

@Jolie717 I would tell you but it would take me at least a half hour to list all of them. Finding someone on the results this round who has been accepted with a less than 3.8 GPA is definitely the needle in the haystack scenario. 

32 minutes ago, speechie94 said:

@slptobe92 It is really unfortunate that grad school admissions, in general, have come to this. So many potentially amazing SLPs are getting rejected.

@Jolie717 I would tell you but it would take me at least a half hour to list all of them. Finding someone on the results this round who has been accepted with a less than 3.8 GPA is definitely the needle in the haystack scenario. 

Oh ok - I thought you were speaking specifically about certain schools, bcz I've seen many acceptances on our results page with overall GPAs well below 3.8.

Edited by Jolie717
Oops meant specifically not generally

1 hour ago, speechie94 said:

I have a 3.7 and got in...

I think the cutoffs are getting higher but just wanted to say not every school!

Edited by CBG321

48 minutes ago, speechietobe said:

I got accepted with a 3.2 overall undergrad. I just showed a ton of improvement in my ComDis classes. Hope that motivates others to never give up. :)

Where did you get accepted? Congrats!

4 hours ago, Cowsy said:

I have a question that's going to expose just how naive I am about this whole world and process: if I've received an acceptance and am still considering it, waiting for responses from other schools, etc., I just...don't say anything, right? As I type this, I know that's what I'm supposed to do, but, well, I'm paranoid. I'm not used to letting important correspondence simply sit in my inbox,

UMass Amherst asks students to either accept, decline, or defer their decision until April 15. If you find yourself in this situation, I think it's not too weird to send an email to the school saying thank you, but that you'd like to take some time to think about it, etc.

9 hours ago, slptobe92 said:

Where did you get accepted? Congrats!

University of central Florida! And thank you! Took a lot of hard work but it's definitely possible

Edited by speechietobe

11 hours ago, honeydewthis said:

Hey guys. I got my first rejection just now. I know it's nothing personal and it's numbers and whatnot but I just feel really, really sad and inadequate. This process is taking a serious toll on the self-esteem that I have worked so hard to build up. It just sucks. 

That does suck. I'm sorry. I know what you mean about developing self-esteem and having that majorly challenged by this process. I've never felt more vulnerable! One thing I've told myself is that it takes a lot of courage to put myself out there at all. I'm guessing that if you're anything like me, there were points along the way where you nearly gave up. And lots of people did. But you didn't! It's definitely not the end, don't count yourself out, and ultimately this experience will hopefully help build character/confidence/self-esteem, because you WILL get through it!!! 

Has anyone heard anything from Queen's College, William Paterson, Montclair, UW Eau Claire (on-campus), or MGH?

For William Paterson, I completed everything by Dec 23rd, but it says ready for review as of 2/27/16, which is today. Does that mean that I'll have an answer soon? Some people were saying they checked the portal and their info was gone completely, so I'm a little nervous because that didn't happen to me. I'm not sure if that means they already got decisions and didn't post them on here, or if there was an error?

Does anyone have any student contacts at NAU or are there any undergraduate students that could give me some details on their program?  I'd love to PM some questions I had about how they are set up if anyone has first hand experience with this program!

4 minutes ago, CBG321 said:

Does anyone have any student contacts at NAU or are there any undergraduate students that could give me some details on their program?  I'd love to PM some questions I had about how they are set up if anyone has first hand experience with this program!

I think you might be able to get a hold of someone through the old NAU posts, or at least find some stuff out! 

I asked my cousin at NAU what she'd heard about the program but she never got back to me. ?

2 minutes ago, racoomelon said:

I think you might be able to get a hold of someone through the old NAU posts, or at least find some stuff out! 

I asked my cousin at NAU what she'd heard about the program but she never got back to me. ?

I'll look into that.  I get the impression their program changes a bit, so wanted to do recent undergrads or students because I know an SLP that graduated from there but it was YEARS ago haha.  I'll post back if I find out anything helpful!

37 minutes ago, rzilby said:

Has anyone heard anything from Queen's College, William Paterson, Montclair, UW Eau Claire (on-campus), or MGH?

For William Paterson, I completed everything by Dec 23rd, but it says ready for review as of 2/27/16, which is today. Does that mean that I'll have an answer soon? Some people were saying they checked the portal and their info was gone completely, so I'm a little nervous because that didn't happen to me. I'm not sure if that means they already got decisions and didn't post them on here, or if there was an error?

I was one of the people who had all of their William Paterson info disappear, but it was only for one day and then it was back, so I think it was just a system glitch. The date on the "complete and ready for review" part will always be the day that you're looking at it (I know because I've checked it every day since lol) so I don't think they've started reviewing yet, but maybe they have and the status just hasn't changed to "in review". From the looks of the forums it seems like they're usually pretty late in sending out decisions.