2016 Applicants

12 hours ago, esopha said:

Congrats, flowerbloom! Do you think you'll end up going? I'm pretty stunned about getting in, especially since I'm from out of field.

I was just as surprised as you when I found out that I got accepted. I'm not sure if I will go yet, as I still have quite a few places to hear back from. But I've heard awesome things about the program so it is definitely one of my top choices. How about you?

8 minutes ago, flowerbloom said:

I was just as surprised as you when I found out that I got accepted. I'm not sure if I will go yet, as I still have quite a few places to hear back from. But I've heard awesome things about the program so it is definitely one of my top choices. How about you?

Well, when I did my big pros/cons chart several weeks ago, my top choices were UMD, Iowa, and Pitt. But I still need to hear about financial assistance before I can commit anywhere. I've actually heard very little about the program. I applied mostly because I liked a professor there and I wanted to work in an aphasia lab, and Iowa was one of the few schools that had MA students in an aphasia lab (and took out of field students with only prerequisites, was in a city that I wanted to live in, etc, etc). Do you mind sharing what you've heard?

19 minutes ago, esopha said:

Well, when I did my big pros/cons chart several weeks ago, my top choices were UMD, Iowa, and Pitt. But I still need to hear about financial assistance before I can commit anywhere. I've actually heard very little about the program. I applied mostly because I liked a professor there and I wanted to work in an aphasia lab, and Iowa was one of the few schools that had MA students in an aphasia lab (and took out of field students with only prerequisites, was in a city that I wanted to live in, etc, etc). Do you mind sharing what you've heard?

Sure! First, it was ranked as the #1 SLP program in the country (US News & World). I don't know how much stock to put in that, but it's interesting that it was. Second, I have heard they have good clinical placements. Third, they have an ASL program, which is important to me as I'd like to continue taking ASL classes. I've also heard the city is nice too. I'll be going to the open house so I'll get to check it out for myself. 

37 minutes ago, flowerbloom said:

Sure! First, it was ranked as the #1 SLP program in the country (US News & World). I don't know how much stock to put in that, but it's interesting that it was. Second, I have heard they have good clinical placements. Third, they have an ASL program, which is important to me as I'd like to continue taking ASL classes. I've also heard the city is nice too. I'll be going to the open house so I'll get to check it out for myself. 

Thanks! I didn't know about the ASL program, but I don't sign, so that's not as applicable to me. I'm going to the open house, too, so maybe we'll see each other there.

4 hours ago, esopha said:

Thanks! I didn't know about the ASL program, but I don't sign, so that's not as applicable to me. I'm going to the open house, too, so maybe we'll see each other there.

Totally! Maybe shoot me a private message closer to the open house date so we can have a buddy to sit with during the presentations!

To my people applying to the New York schools:

Anyone applying to Touro? I read on this forum a couple years ago that they do not do clinical placements. You have to go out and find your own. Anyone know anything about this? Do they still do that?

Also, anyone else applying in the New York area hear from any schools yet?

13 hours ago, np22 said:

does anyone know if the April 15th deadline a real thing? I can't imagine that being true knowing schools give offers the week before classes even begin

April 15 is the earliest schools can make you commit, and that involves funding offers. That resolution does not prevent schools from having later deadlines, especially if you aren't getting funded.

It looks like Northeastern is rolling acceptances to people now? The results page is all confused, they sent that open house email to a bunch of people (I got one, too) but I've only seen a couple of acceptances and my portal hasn't changed.

Northeastern isn't a top choice for me, but I know lots of people here are applying, so I thought I would post!

Hi there, I'm brand new to the gradcafe, and just realized there's this whole forum of people giving each other inside tips! Awesome!

I was invited to do a skype interview with Chapman on 2/17. There were a whole lot of technical issues, the interview kept getting pushed back, and it basically never happened. I've reached out to them by email and phone to try and reschedule, but I have not heard back! I want to keep following up, but also don't want to be a pest... Anyone else have a similar experience?

I've got a skype interview with Utah State on Monday, and I'm an alternate at U of Minnesota Minneapolis. 

Anyone hear anything from these schools? --- Temple U., Salus U., U. of Delaware (are they even accredited yet?), Pitt, Loyola U of Maryland, Minn. State Mankato, U of Colordao Boulder, San Diego State, Old Dominion.

Hi @CMyesAnd. Welcome to the forum! I thought this place was amazing for guidance when I found, so I'm happy it can be of help to you too.

Sorry to hear about that experience with Chapman. I think it's definitely worth contacting them to try and reschedule since if they gave you an interview it's only fair. As far as the other schools, I would check the grad cafe survey to see if anyone has posted results for the schools within the past month or so. I have a friend applying to Temple and she hasn't heard back. Most come in by around March. Good luck!

Already posted something about this on the interview thread, but has anyone heard from GVSU about interviews yet? Their website says that invitations will be sent out mid-february, so I was wondering if anyone has heard back yet. 

45 minutes ago, Gingiestrong said:

Already posted something about this on the interview thread, but has anyone heard from GVSU about interviews yet? Their website says that invitations will be sent out mid-february, so I was wondering if anyone has heard back yet. 

Nope haven't heard anything yet. I only got an email about submitting 2 additional documents by the end of this week. My guess is we'll hear back probably sometime next week. 

2 hours ago, r4chung said:

Nope haven't heard anything yet. I only got an email about submitting 2 additional documents by the end of this week. My guess is we'll hear back probably sometime next week. 

Just curious, were the two documents a pre-req verification form and essential functions form? I got an email about that a few weeks ago, but I wasn't sure if everyone had to submit those. Hopefully we hear back soon! 

2 hours ago, Gingiestrong said:

Just curious, were the two documents a pre-req verification form and essential functions form? I got an email about that a few weeks ago, but I wasn't sure if everyone had to submit those. Hopefully we hear back soon! 

Yeah those were the 2 documents, I wasn't sure either but submitted it anyways. 

anyone else hear from temple university? i checked my portal this morning and it looks like decisions were made! they said official letters are on their way :)