2016 Applicants

8 minutes ago, speechie94 said:

Exactly! As for what I said earlier about the quality of experiences, it was something I was told by an applicant from last year who got into a really competitive school. 

I wonder if being a minority ethnicity in the field has anything to do with admissions? A lot of schools seem to value diversity.

Well, then I guess it's really just hoping for the best.

In-state students were mentioned, but how do state schools value out-of-state applicants? I would think that since tuition costs more, it would play a part in the decision. Or do they generally prefer in-state applicants?

6 minutes ago, rzilby said:

Well, then I guess it's really just hoping for the best.

In-state students were mentioned, but how do state schools value out-of-state applicants? I would think that since tuition costs more, it would play a part in the decision. Or do they generally prefer in-state applicants?

Possibly, since most if not all of the state schools I know of are having funding issues...OOS might be more in demand?

Just now, speechie94 said:

Possibly, since most if not all of the state schools I know of are having funding issues...OOS might be more in demand?

Well, in that case, I'm keeping my fingers crossed! It seems like decisions are starting to come in this week, so now I'm dying to hear back!

Has anyone else heard from University of Vermont yet? Someone on the results page said they got a call notifying them of their acceptance but I haven't seen any others get in or get rejected yet. I applied around the same time as this person too and it's making me so nervous I'm checking my phone every few minutes!

6 minutes ago, cmm28 said:

Has anyone else heard from University of Vermont yet? Someone on the results page said they got a call notifying them of their acceptance but I haven't seen any others get in or get rejected yet. I applied around the same time as this person too and it's making me so nervous I'm checking my phone every few minutes!

I'm still waiting on UVM too, and I applied at the same time also. That post made me anxious to hear back too!

44 minutes ago, MrsH said:

hi @rzilby-- did you get that supplemental application last year? Just wondering. Good luck! 

Hi, do you mean the regular supplemental app, in addition to the main CSDCAS one? Last year I did have both. This year, I e-mailed the admissions office and spoke to someone, so they carried over my information. I didn't have to repay a fee or anything, I only needed to make sure my info was up to date. I hope that helps!

4 hours ago, OverCaffeinated said:

firs rejection :o

to those who got the interview at ST ROSE what were yours stats? last year someone with worse stats than me got waitlisted. and they just straight up rejected me :(

also BU sent me a supplemental application :o 

Sorry to hear this! :( I just wanted to say that I also was rejected last year and was also very confused by some of the stats that were chosen over my own. So I emailed the school and found out how they were weeding out applications; I do really believe it also takes a bit of luck, which sucks if you are the unlucky one!!

1 hour ago, lindzzz said:

Sorry to hear this! :( I just wanted to say that I also was rejected last year and was also very confused by some of the stats that were chosen over my own. So I emailed the school and found out how they were weeding out applications; I do really believe it also takes a bit of luck, which sucks if you are the unlucky one!!

Haha sucks right? 

Can u explain the luck part? Or inbox me? :)

5 hours ago, OverCaffeinated said:

firs rejection :o

to those who got the interview at ST ROSE what were yours stats? last year someone with worse stats than me got waitlisted. and they just straight up rejected me :(

also BU sent me a supplemental application :o 

I received a supplemental application from BU too. I heard they were sending out emails for the interviews sometime next week.

lol for anyone who cares apparently it was my overall gpa, although Sue sounded surprised when i pointed out my major gpa is 4.0 and my sub gpa is a 3.86..

apparently none of that matters :rolleyes: 

i have a good reason too... i think they didnt read my application fully... @lindzzz i think youre right about the luck thing

24 minutes ago, OverCaffeinated said:

lol for anyone who cares apparently it was my overall gpa, although Sue sounded surprised when i pointed out my major gpa is 4.0 and my sub gpa is a 3.86..

apparently none of that matters :rolleyes: 

i have a good reason too... i think they didnt read my application fully... @lindzzz i think youre right about the luck thing

I'm sure when you are talking to people affiliated with the school you are being respectful. However, be wary of coming off as argumentative when it comes to inquiring about why you got the result you did. The result is the result and unless there is an official appeals process, it's not going to change. Inquiring how you can "make your application better should you reapply" is fine, but pointing out that they are wrong (and I'm  not saying that's how the conversation went) is a sure fire way to never get accepted to that school. And speech is a very small field. The last thing you want is the (likely undeserved) reputation of being argumentative. It's perhaps best to come away with that type of conversation saying "okay, thank you" and then airing your frustrations here if with family and friends than to point out that you DO have a high GPA. Because while it sounds like the woman you spoke to did not take offense to your pointing out a flawed argument, others may. Just a little unsolicited advice. 

Just now, NorcalSLP said:

I'm sure when you are talking to people affiliated with the school you are being respectful. However, be wary of coming off as argumentative when it comes to inquiring about why you got the result you did. The result is the result and unless there is an official appeals process, it's not going to change. Inquiring how you can "make your application better should you reapply" is fine, but pointing out that they are wrong (and I'm  not saying that's how the conversation went) is a sure fire way to never get accepted to that school. And speech is a very small field. The last thing you want is the (likely undeserved) reputation of being argumentative. It's perhaps best to come away with that type of conversation saying "okay, thank you" and then airing your frustrations here if with family and friends than to point out that you DO have a high GPA. Because while it sounds like the woman you spoke to did not take offense to your pointing out a flawed argument, others may. Just a little unsolicited advice. 

unsolicited is right ;)

1 hour ago, CBG321 said:

NAU just sent out some acceptances for anyone else who applied there to go check :) 

Where did you find out about NAU acceptances?  I just checked in the portal under "application status" and can only see the date my application was submitted... as far as I can see, there is no admission status yet.

Hey, I've been checking these boards and the results board obsessively for awhile like a few others. I finally decided to join cause NAU is really confusing me and I didn't see anyone else post about it. Today I received several emails from NAU. The first saying I was accepted, the next saying to recall the previous one, then another acceptance, and another recall (all within the same hour at around 5pm). Finally, I received another acceptance at about 6pm.. no recall so far and it looked slightly different from the previous ones. I'm trying really hard not to get my hopes up until I can give them a call tomorrow, but was wondering has this happened to anybody else?

On February 9, 2016 at 3:17 PM, ohiostatestudent627 said:

I'm thinking about emailing Maureen some time this week to gather some more info due to the vague nature of the email. I'll let you know if she passes along and pertinent info! 

If you find out how many are on the waitlist please let us know. I know that currently the waitlist is unranked. I also know (through a friend who goes to Madison) that they accepted six people off of the waitlist last year. 

On February 9, 2016 at 1:51 PM, ohiostatestudent627 said:

Does anyone know how many people they put on the waitlist at Wisconsin- Madison? Or possibly if any people got offers from the waitlist previously? :wacko:

Through a friend who goes there, I heard that last year (a year in which not as many people denied first acceptances) they made offers to 6 people from the waitlist....Whether or not that number goes up or down is anyone's game at this point. Hoping it's more though!

2 hours ago, cway said:

Where did you find out about NAU acceptances?  I just checked in the portal under "application status" and can only see the date my application was submitted... as far as I can see, there is no admission status yet.

They sent me an email I actually haven't logged on online yet, so I'll have to double check and see if that is updated yet...Gotta go dig up all my login info!

2 hours ago, Hk400 said:

Hey, I've been checking these boards and the results board obsessively for awhile like a few others. I finally decided to join cause NAU is really confusing me and I didn't see anyone else post about it. Today I received several emails from NAU. The first saying I was accepted, the next saying to recall the previous one, then another acceptance, and another recall (all within the same hour at around 5pm). Finally, I received another acceptance at about 6pm.. no recall so far and it looked slightly different from the previous ones. I'm trying really hard not to get my hopes up until I can give them a call tomorrow, but was wondering has this happened to anybody else?

YES, the exact same thing happened to me.  I responded to the recall asking so does this mean I am not accepted and she told me "congratulations you have been accepted sorry for the confusion"  I think there was some issues with the email being sent incomplete or something?  I got like 6 though too, I would also double check but I think you're in!!!  Congrats!