2016 Applicants

1 hour ago, OverCaffeinated said:

oh shit son!

but we didnt get an email.... so emerson expects us to refresh that poral page every day pretty much?

I don't know about you, but I was doing that anyways

Hey guys!

I'm new to gradcafe and just found this forum via google. I read a few posts and saw some of you guys applying to the same places I am, so it would be nice to connect and see how everyone else is feeling about the process. Right now, it's the anxiously waiting part of the applications.

I graduated in May 2015 from an outside major in Linguistics, minor in cognitive science. My cumulative GPA is a 3.63, and an added 4.0 GPA from 2 online prereq courses (currently taking another 2). My GRE scores were 159 verbal, and 144 quantitative, 4.5 writing. I have completed an internship at a private speech clinic and currently work as an ESL teacher at a private language school and volunteer at a local hospital.

I applied last year to 4 schools, and was wait-listed to 1. No one was taken from the list according to the program director, so I'm re-applying to 12 programs this time, just to be safe.

I applied to:

Stockton

Boston University

MGH

Portland State University

UW- Eau Claire (I'm currently enrolled for online courses)

College of St. Rose

Adelphi

Syracuse- waitlisted last year :'(

University of Northern Colorado online program

William Paterson

Montclair

Queens College

I'm really hoping to be accepted into Queens, Syracuse, and Portland, with the last being my top choice, as I'd eventually like to make connections and work on the west coast and get my start as a professional there. Queens is a main choice because of inexpensive living arrangements with my family, and Syracuse just because I'm hoping my chances are good after being waitlisted last year. Boston was mainly a reach school, but I applied last year and my professor told me if you were rejected once, your chances to get into that same school are halved the next year because they already looked at your application once and don't want to repeat the process, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Has anyone heard back about interviews or know when we should hear about them?

Nice to meet you all and best of luck with getting in :)!

Welcome to the forums. I'm mostly a lurker now as I am already working as an SLP, but comment occasionally to throw in advice and recommendations as I have been through it (as a non-traditional student who applied twice). One question, did you check all the prerequisite requirements for all your schools? As an out of fielder that's always essential. I was a bit further out of field than you, so I assume you will have had a lot of overlap coming from Linguistics. One important thing to keep in mind, it doesn't matter much where you go to school. You can move west after you graduate for your CF and it will be just like you went to school out west. While making connections in ANY field is important speech is in such high demand that making connections is not quite as necessary. I went to school on the east coast and now work on the west coast. I had no issues applying for jobs 3000 miles away from where I went to school. So if you don't get into a west coast school, don't think twice about going somewhere else and moving to Portland after you have your degree. 

15 hours ago, rzilby said:

Hey guys!

I'm new to gradcafe and just found this forum via google. I read a few posts and saw some of you guys applying to the same places I am, so it would be nice to connect and see how everyone else is feeling about the process. Right now, it's the anxiously waiting part of the applications.

I graduated in May 2015 from an outside major in Linguistics, minor in cognitive science. My cumulative GPA is a 3.63, and an added 4.0 GPA from 2 online prereq courses (currently taking another 2). My GRE scores were 159 verbal, and 144 quantitative, 4.5 writing. I have completed an internship at a private speech clinic and currently work as an ESL teacher at a private language school and volunteer at a local hospital.

I applied last year to 4 schools, and was wait-listed to 1. No one was taken from the list according to the program director, so I'm re-applying to 12 programs this time, just to be safe.

I applied to:

Stockton

Boston University

MGH

Portland State University

UW- Eau Claire (I'm currently enrolled for online courses)

College of St. Rose

Adelphi

Syracuse- waitlisted last year :'(

University of Northern Colorado online program

William Paterson

Montclair

Queens College

I'm really hoping to be accepted into Queens, Syracuse, and Portland, with the last being my top choice, as I'd eventually like to make connections and work on the west coast and get my start as a professional there. Queens is a main choice because of inexpensive living arrangements with my family, and Syracuse just because I'm hoping my chances are good after being waitlisted last year. Boston was mainly a reach school, but I applied last year and my professor told me if you were rejected once, your chances to get into that same school are halved the next year because they already looked at your application once and don't want to repeat the process, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Has anyone heard back about interviews or know when we should hear about them?

Nice to meet you all and best of luck with getting in :)!

3 hours ago, NorcalSLP said:

Welcome to the forums. I'm mostly a lurker now as I am already working as an SLP, but comment occasionally to throw in advice and recommendations as I have been through it (as a non-traditional student who applied twice). One question, did you check all the prerequisite requirements for all your schools? As an out of fielder that's always essential. I was a bit further out of field than you, so I assume you will have had a lot of overlap coming from Linguistics. One important thing to keep in mind, it doesn't matter much where you go to school. You can move west after you graduate for your CF and it will be just like you went to school out west. While making connections in ANY field is important speech is in such high demand that making connections is not quite as necessary. I went to school on the east coast and now work on the west coast. I had no issues applying for jobs 3000 miles away from where I went to school. So if you don't get into a west coast school, don't think twice about going somewhere else and moving to Portland after you have your degree. 

Hey, thanks for the advice! I'm not dead set on the location. I'm fine with going to an East coast school, I just meant that if I got accepted, I would love to start out on the west coast early on. Plus Boston and NYC are crazy expensive areas to live, and I have a dog I'd be moving out with into an apartment, so affordability is another thing for me. But I'm open to all my options, so I'll see what happens :) 

As for the prereqs, I checked, and while I have a good amount done (depending on the schools), I don't have them all. I'm taking some online, and plan to take more this summer. It's something I'm really nervous about, but I'm hoping my experience working as a teacher and the fact that my grades in CSD courses are mostly A's will help me. I know some schools let you complete them while you also complete your program. Was it difficult for you to get into a program as someone from an outside major? How did they feel about you doing prereqs? Or did you complete them all before applying?

36 minutes ago, rzilby said:

Hey, thanks for the advice! I'm not dead set on the location. I'm fine with going to an East coast school, I just meant that if I got accepted, I would love to start out on the west coast early on. Plus Boston and NYC are crazy expensive areas to live, and I have a dog I'd be moving out with into an apartment, so affordability is another thing for me. But I'm open to all my options, so I'll see what happens :) 

As for the prereqs, I checked, and while I have a good amount done (depending on the schools), I don't have them all. I'm taking some online, and plan to take more this summer. It's something I'm really nervous about, but I'm hoping my experience working as a teacher and the fact that my grades in CSD courses are mostly A's will help me. I know some schools let you complete them while you also complete your program. Was it difficult for you to get into a program as someone from an outside major? How did they feel about you doing prereqs? Or did you complete them all before applying?

You caught me between clients so I can shoot off a quick response. I applied to extended masters programs AND post bacc programs the first go around (which for any out of field applicants I highly highly recommend). Was wait listed at a couple EM programs, never got off the wait list, but got into some good post bacc programs. I did a post bacc, which got me a second bachelors degree, and re applied to masters programs (I also took a year off between my post bacc and my masters to apply, better my GRE and work as I went right from my undergrad to my my post bacc). So by time I applied they were all done. But many people applied while still in the post bacc program and the schools knew that they would finish before starting and gave conditional acceptance based on that 

On 2/5/2016 at 6:55 PM, NorcalSLP said:

You caught me between clients so I can shoot off a quick response. I applied to extended masters programs AND post bacc programs the first go around (which for any out of field applicants I highly highly recommend). Was wait listed at a couple EM programs, never got off the wait list, but got into some good post bacc programs. I did a post bacc, which got me a second bachelors degree, and re applied to masters programs (I also took a year off between my post bacc and my masters to apply, better my GRE and work as I went right from my undergrad to my my post bacc). So by time I applied they were all done. But many people applied while still in the post bacc program and the schools knew that they would finish before starting and gave conditional acceptance based on that 

Ah, I see. I didn't even think to apply for post bacc, as I was planning to just complete my prereqs before/during my grad studies. I think it depends on the school and what they allow. Thanks for the information! I reeeally hope I get into at least 1 program this year so I don't have to do the application process a third time, but if I do, I'll definitely start applying to post bacc as well!

Hello all,

I hope everyone is hanging in there while waiting to hear back their programs! It seems like most applicants here have applied to more midwest and east coast schools, so I thought I would ask here if anyone else applied to Washington state schools as I have (so we can commiserate and/or hopefully celebrate!) 

There just might not be too many people on here who have applied to my schools, but I thought I'd give it a try in case they want to connect! 

Best wishes,

otterbaslp

12 hours ago, otterbeaslp said:

Hello all,

I hope everyone is hanging in there while waiting to hear back their programs! It seems like most applicants here have applied to more midwest and east coast schools, so I thought I would ask here if anyone else applied to Washington state schools as I have (so we can commiserate and/or hopefully celebrate!) 

There just might not be too many people on here who have applied to my schools, but I thought I'd give it a try in case they want to connect! 

Best wishes,

otterbaslp

I also applied to UW - probably won't get results until the second week of March or so, from what I gather.  Did you apply for Med or Core?  I think CSUN will be the latest school I will hear back from - I'm guessing late March to early April.  

9 minutes ago, eggfish said:

I got accepted to St. Louis University today.  The email said, "You should have received notification about acceptance from the Graduate School via CollegeNet".  What is CollegeNet??

It's the website that hosts online applications, so you can probably log in through a link on the program's website to further check your status. Also, I see you put 'unofficial' under your accepted status for Wisconsin, can I ask why? I also applied there. Congrats :) 

do you guys know of any schools in my signature that have 'portals' to look at regarding the applications? i didnt know about emerson because no one sent me an email regarding the portal in the first place. perhaps theres others im missing as well. 

1 hour ago, ohiostatestudent627 said:

It's the website that hosts online applications, so you can probably log in through a link on the program's website to further check your status. Also, I see you put 'unofficial' under your accepted status for Wisconsin, can I ask why? I also applied there. Congrats :) 

I could not find anything on the website.  When I log back into my online application, it says that it's complete but that's it.

I put "unofficial" for UW because they have a 2-step admissions process.  I was recommended by the department for acceptance into the graduate school.  I think that means I have basically been accepted but it's not guaranteed.

Edited by eggfish

Just now, MrsH said:

hi @OverCaffeinated -- MGH does and so does NYU. I also applied to Boston Univ. but didn't receive any info about a portal, just an email confirming they received everything. 

for mgh its just the supplemental application right?

i forgot about nuy, thanks for reminding me :D

2 hours ago, MrsH said:

hi @OverCaffeinated -- MGH does and so does NYU. I also applied to Boston Univ. but didn't receive any info about a portal, just an email confirming they received everything. 

Is the NYU portal separate from the application page?  I applied to NYU, but I got neither a confirmation nor a portal link... Then again, I also didn't receive an email containing the password when I tried to create an account for the Steinhardt application page (although I contacted them and got it later).  Would you happen to have the link for the portal?

Edited by talkingcake
Whoops, forgot to specify that I'm talking about NYU specifically

@MrsH I was combing through my emails again, and it turns out that the confirmation email was automatically sorted in the wrong folder this whole time.  I swear, my inbox just doesn't like NYU for some reason.  Thank you, and good luck to you too!

11 hours ago, Jolie717 said:

I also applied to UW - probably won't get results until the second week of March or so, from what I gather.  Did you apply for Med or Core?  I think CSUN will be the latest school I will hear back from - I'm guessing late March to early April.  

Nice! I should have noted on there which UW program I applied to--I went for CoreSLP because of my interest/experience in working in non-medical settings and more with pediatrics as well. What made you opt for MedSLP out of curiosity? Congrats on U of Oregon too! Are you going to accept them you think, or will you wait to find out about the other schools? Also, where did you do your undergrad education? 

15 minutes ago, otterbeaslp said:

Nice! I should have noted on there which UW program I applied to--I went for CoreSLP because of my interest/experience in working in non-medical settings and more with pediatrics as well. What made you opt for MedSLP out of curiosity? Congrats on U of Oregon too! Are you going to accept them you think, or will you wait to find out about the other schools? Also, where did you do your undergrad education? 

I went for UW MedSLP due to my own background and interest in medicine.  I was a surgical tech in the US Army Reserves, so TBI in veterans interests me.  I am currently a Respiratory Therapist in the hospital setting, where many of my patients have suffered from anoxic brain injury, TBI, or stroke - along with a handful of cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, paralysis and ALS patients.  Plus acute respiratory failure ventilator-dependent folks.  Mostly elderly/aging.  I assist the SLPs with speech and swallow evaluations.

Not sure where I will accept yet as I have to wait for all offers and financial aid info to boot!  I applied to so few schools that each is my "top pick" for very different reasons.  I'm finishing my undergrad at Cal State University Northridge right now.  How do you like UW?  Pros / cons?  Best but least expensive areas to live for a small family?  (Hubby, two boys, and a large dog, lol)!  Thx and good luck!!!

No official acceptances of anything of the sort yet (all of my deadlines were Jan or Feb) but I got an email about an interview at Emerson on the weekend of the 28th! Does anyone know if there's truth to people saying that Emerson only interviews candidates it considers qualified/wants to admit? That would be good for my confidence going in! :-P:-P:-P