2016 Applicants

I kept my MGH statement under 2 pages, and it ended up being about 750 words.

I've finished all my apps, and my recommenders have all replied that they're still planning on writing letters (lol) so all there's to do is wait.

1 hour ago, esopha said:

I've finished all my apps, and my recommenders have all replied that they're still planning on writing letters (lol) so all there's to do is wait.

yup exactly, same as mine just a waiting game now

1 hour ago, esopha said:

on a different note, i noticed youre applying to emerson, 

what are some things that emerson brings to the table? they have like 5 practicums i think, nothing special, no specialty streams, no bilingual emphasis, no abroad programs... :wacko:

I liked the pedagogical philosophy, and the graduate admissions person noted that most professors and students are on a first-name basis - which is great! No pretense. I'm not interested in abroad programs or bilingual emphasis, but everyone I talked to emphasized how much they hustle to get their students the placements they want and said that a medical placement wouldn't be difficult to come by.

Plus, to be honest, I tried to apply to all the schools that were a. near a large or mid-sized city that my SO could conceivably get a job in and b. had a track record of accepting students from outside CSD.

2 minutes ago, esopha said:

I liked the pedagogical philosophy, and the graduate admissions person noted that most professors and students are on a first-name basis - which is great! No pretense. I'm not interested in abroad programs or bilingual emphasis, but everyone I talked to emphasized how much they hustle to get their students the placements they want and said that a medical placement wouldn't be difficult to come by.

Plus, to be honest, I tried to apply to all the schools that were a. near a large or mid-sized city that my SO could conceivably get a job in and b. had a track record of accepting students from outside CSD.

awesome the medical part is helpful, im aiming for medical programs

applicants to cal state LA, 

is the 3.0 cumulative or last 60? and does everyone have the courses in the prep program? anyone applying out of field?

im missing:

COMD 451 - Psychosocial Considerations in Communication Disorders (3)

COMD 460 - Advanced Language Development (4

as all of these were part of my one course not 3 separate courses..

i have no idea if not having the pre reqs will hurt my chances that much, thoughts? I can easily finish these over summer, but I assume priority goes towards those with completed pre reqs?

I would assume since your cumulative GPA and last 60 credits are good, I'm not sure if they would care too much about the grade.  Since I am not from the east coast, I'm not sure how competitive NYU or Columbia is, but I know east coast schools overall are generally very competitive.  You could always look at some schools in Wisconsin, I know they have a lot of options and a few online schools since that would be close for you. Washington schools are extremely competitive so I would be more wary about applying there. While anatomy is very relevant to the profession, that's not a requirement for programs.  As long as your SLP grades are good and your GRE scores are competitive you have a chance. Plus you have a lot of volunteering experience.  

Edited by rockchalk4253

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2015 at 7:06 PM, OverCaffeinated said:

applicants to cal state LA, 

is the 3.0 cumulative or last 60? and does everyone have the courses in the prep program? anyone applying out of field?

im missing:

COMD 451 - Psychosocial Considerations in Communication Disorders (3)

COMD 460 - Advanced Language Development (4

as all of these were part of my one course not 3 separate courses..

i have no idea if not having the pre reqs will hurt my chances that much, thoughts? I can easily finish these over summer, but I assume priority goes towards those with completed pre reqs?

I am applying from out of the field and I took my pre-requisites from KU, we don't even have the option of taking the Speech Path I, II, III that are listed, those are part of a general course.  That's interesting they are so specific, those are usually more grad-school level classes.  If you have the option of explaining if you are missing any courses etc, explain why you don't have that course.  I don't think it would hurt your chances very much, especially if you say you will finish in the summer.  I also don't know how competitive Cal State LA is, I'm applying to schools in the South or in KS.

Hi y'all! 

I'm a post-bacc student, just submitted my first four applications. Now I'm feeling super antsy about my lack of in-field experience. I've been bouncing around the world in between non-consecutive semesters, teaching English and doing the cultural-immersion thing. I've got a pretty solid GPA (3.88 or so I think?) and GRE V/Q/AW 166/157/4.5...but I'm worried my "intercultural experience" might not be as much an asset as I initially thought. Any input/ideas? 

How do people even get in-field experience if you're working or doing other life-sustaining things? I thought joining this site might answer some questions, but now I have so many more :)

10 hours ago, SoLa said:

Hi y'all! 

I'm a post-bacc student, just submitted my first four applications. Now I'm feeling super antsy about my lack of in-field experience. I've been bouncing around the world in between non-consecutive semesters, teaching English and doing the cultural-immersion thing. I've got a pretty solid GPA (3.88 or so I think?) and GRE V/Q/AW 166/157/4.5...but I'm worried my "intercultural experience" might not be as much an asset as I initially thought. Any input/ideas? 

How do people even get in-field experience if you're working or doing other life-sustaining things? I thought joining this site might answer some questions, but now I have so many more :)

Do uou know what you want to specialize in? Having lots of cultural/abroad experience could set you up for accent reduction therapy. Or bi-lingual therapy. You can contact a therapist in your area specializing in these areas and ask to observe them a few times a week, of intern/volunteer under them. 

Hey Everyone! 

I am finished with all of my applications!! PHEW! Im applying to UNC Chapel Hill, UNCG, App State, East Carolina and FSU. Im a Post-Bacc student at USF. Uppergraduate GPA 3.8 and Overall GPA 3.6. Psych BA, Lots of research experience, lots of observation hours in the field, great experience (was a CPI for a year working with kids and families). I have four total LORs. Two super strong ones from professors, one generic one from a professor and a good one from my manager at Starbucks (although I know they hate reading LORs from your bosses). My Letter of Intents are all really good, I worked so hard on them. My GRE scores are where I fall short. V153/Q148/W4.0 I am hoping that everything else makes up for it. 

My top choice is UNC Chapel Hill. After reading lots of last years forums, it looks like they send some of their letters out in late February. Super exciting and nerve wracking! Good luck to everyone! 

-Tina

5 hours ago, tinamars said:

Hey Everyone! 

I am finished with all of my applications!! PHEW! Im applying to UNC Chapel Hill, UNCG, App State, East Carolina and FSU. Im a Post-Bacc student at USF. Uppergraduate GPA 3.8 and Overall GPA 3.6. Psych BA, Lots of research experience, lots of observation hours in the field, great experience (was a CPI for a year working with kids and families). I have four total LORs. Two super strong ones from professors, one generic one from a professor and a good one from my manager at Starbucks (although I know they hate reading LORs from your bosses). My Letter of Intents are all really good, I worked so hard on them. My GRE scores are where I fall short. V153/Q148/W4.0 I am hoping that everything else makes up for it. 

My top choice is UNC Chapel Hill. After reading lots of last years forums, it looks like they send some of their letters out in late February. Super exciting and nerve wracking! Good luck to everyone! 

-Tina

if youre in tampa how come university of south florida isnt on your list? just curious

On 1/14/2016 at 9:22 PM, OverCaffeinated said:

if youre in tampa how come university of south florida isnt on your list? just curious

Im going there for my undergrad right now. Im from this area so I am ready to get out. USF is a great school and their SLP program is awesome but Tampa not so much. 

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, esopha said:

So, how are we all holding up?

Some of my schools start to notify in early February, but I'm trying not to get too distracted from everything else I need to be doing. It's a struggle, though.

My anxiety has definitely kicked up this week.  I'm pretty sure my top schools will be sending out acceptances starting next week.  I'm really hoping I hear back in the first two weeks of February, so I don't have to agonize while I'm trying to do my coursework for this semester.  I have so much to do!  Not only am I trying to do school work, but I'm also in wedding planning full tilt boogie!!!

49 minutes ago, esopha said:

So, how are we all holding up?

Some of my schools start to notify in early February, but I'm trying not to get too distracted from everything else I need to be doing. It's a struggle, though.

Got anxious when Portland State send me an email, only to find out the email was to notify me that I should get an answer in mid March.  I feel like I will have at least one school that answers in February, but I'm nervous if I get into any programs.    

Hey y'all! I just got around to making an account. I was getting super antsy about hearing back from schools, but I got an email from UT Dallas today. Accepted with in-state tuition! I'm still dying to hear from the others, but at least I know I will be attending grad school in the fall!

5 minutes ago, BamaBelle said:

Hey y'all! I just got around to making an account. I was getting super antsy about hearing back from schools, but I got an email from UT Dallas today. Accepted with in-state tuition! I'm still dying to hear from the others, but at least I know I will be attending grad school in the fall!

When did you apply? I sent mine in Nov. still haven't heard anything.