2016 Applicants

13 minutes ago, Marissa27 said:

Did anyone else get this message from BU today? 

"Dear Applicant,

In order to complete your application, Boston University requires you to respond to two supplemental yes/no questions using the following link:"

I was actually about to post. I just got the email and finished updating the app. It asks if you've ever applied before, and if you had any previous affiliation with the school. It may say pay fee, but it's set to $0. Hopefully we'll hear regarding interviews in their next email. 

On a side note, my professor told me if you apply to a school and get rejected once, they don't consider you for the next year if you try again. I didn't get an interview last year, so I'm nervous for BU. Has any heard their professors or advisors say anything like that?

30 minutes ago, OverCaffeinated said:

firs rejection :o

to those who got the interview at ST ROSE what were yours stats? last year someone with worse stats than me got waitlisted. and they just straight up rejected me :(

also BU sent me a supplemental application :o 

Im sorry it didn't work out for you. There's still hope for BU though!

I applied to St. Rose but didn't hear back anything regarding interviews or rejections. Did you get any other email updates before their response?

1 minute ago, rzilby said:

Im sorry it didn't work out for you. There's still hope for BU though!

I applied to St. Rose but didn't hear back anything regarding interviews or rejections. Did you get any other email updates before their response?

no straight up mail rejection... im gonna call tomorrow and inquire why at least no waitlist 

Just now, OverCaffeinated said:

no straight up mail rejection... im gonna call tomorrow and inquire why at least no waitlist 

Ouch, sorry :(

do you mind me asking your stats? I majored in linguistics, GPA 3.63, GRE scores were 159 V, 145 Q (I don't have the scores in front of me so I don't recall if it was 145 or 155) 4.5W. Do they look at outside stuff like internships and jobs as well, or scores only?

Either way, I'm sorry you didn't get in. I hope you get some good news from other schools soon!!

11 minutes ago, rzilby said:

Ouch, sorry :(

do you mind me asking your stats? I majored in linguistics, GPA 3.63, GRE scores were 159 V, 145 Q (I don't have the scores in front of me so I don't recall if it was 145 or 155) 4.5W. Do they look at outside stuff like internships and jobs as well, or scores only?

Either way, I'm sorry you didn't get in. I hope you get some good news from other schools soon!!

my stats are in my signature

5 minutes ago, OverCaffeinated said:

GRE: V157/Q151/AWA4.5 | CSDCAS: CSD: 4.0, sub: 3.86 | CAN: sub: 3.78

save u the trouble 

Uh, well then I think I can safely say I should expect a rejection letter, because your stats are better than mine. Do they look at outside stuff? I had the same confusion last year when some people with lower GPAs and GREs got into/were waitlisted to programs I was rejected to, so maybe they're looking for great extra curriculars or internships. My family is pretty convinced at this point that they draw names out of a hat, so who knows lol :/

39 minutes ago, rzilby said:

On a side note, my professor told me if you apply to a school and get rejected once, they don't consider you for the next year if you try again. I didn't get an interview last year, so I'm nervous for BU. Has any heard their professors or advisors say anything like that?

The tired/ cynical part of me wants to say your professor is bonkers. I applied to my graduate school alma mater (not BU) twice. Once before my post bacc once after (when I got in). There was even a question on the at like BUs where they asked if you had applied before and what you had done to better your application. Obviously as I graduated from there, they didn't care that I'd applied again. If anything it worked in my benefit especially because I did a TON to improve myself and showed continued interest in their program. I also work with someone who got in to her grad school the second time she applied (different field but still). The logical part of me thinks that your professor is either uniformed or taking about only her program. Or is referring to people who don't do anything to improve their application the second go round. But to make a blanket statement like that is irresponsible and incorrect. 

3 minutes ago, rzilby said:

Uh, well then I think I can safely say I should expect a rejection letter, because your stats are better than mine. Do they look at outside stuff? I had the same confusion last year when some people with lower GPAs and GREs got into/were waitlisted to programs I was rejected to, so maybe they're looking for great extra curriculars or internships. My family is pretty convinced at this point that they draw names out of a hat, so who knows lol :/

Even if they do... I have 200 hours of volunteering with children with speech disorders, autistic kids, aphasia patients. 

As well as 200 hours of working in a lab doing research. 

As well as an independent study and conferences. 

If not these things... Wth are they looking at XD

2 minutes ago, NorcalSLP said:

The tired/ cynical part of me wants to say your professor is bonkers. I applied to my graduate school alma mater (not BU) twice. Once before my post bacc once after (when I got in). There was even a question on the at like BUs where they asked if you had applied before and what you had done to better your application. Obviously as I graduated from there, they didn't care that I'd applied again. If anything it worked in my benefit especially because I did a TON to improve myself and showed continued interest in their program. I also work with someone who got in to her grad school the second time she applied (different field but still). The logical part of me thinks that your professor is either uniformed or taking about only her program. Or is referring to people who don't do anything to improve their application the second go round. But to make a blanket statement like that is irresponsible and incorrect. 

I'm relieved to hear that then. I was hoping she was wrong, but it made me a bit paranoid. Didn't stop me from trying again, but at least now I can be a bit more hopeful lol! I definitely worked hard to improve my application, so I hope they notice that at least. I've heard the other side which is that the continued interest works in your favor, so maybe that'll happen!

4 minutes ago, OverCaffeinated said:

Even if they do... I have 200 hours of volunteering with children with speech disorders, autistic kids, aphasia patients. 

As well as 200 hours of working in a lab doing research. 

As well as an independent study and conferences. 

If not these things... Wth are they looking at XD

A 5.0GPA, undergrad research leading to the cure for cancer, be the MVP of the school football team, save puppies from burning buildings, and also have hobbies (with trophies) because you are a well-rounded person despite all the time the rest of those things took up. 

But really, I have no clue. I see people with 4.0 GPAs and internships and I think that's fantastic and they're definitely getting in. Then they say they got rejected and I'm like... Oh. Okay. I'm just gonna sit here and hope for a miracle then.

On a side note, that volunteer experience sounds amazing. I would love to have a chance to volunteer with aphasia patients! It's something I've been super interested in since learning about it in my Psych of language class! 

Just now, rzilby said:

A 5.0GPA, undergrad research leading to the cure for cancer, be the MVP of the school football team, save puppies from burning buildings, and also have hobbies (with trophies) because you are a well-rounded person despite all the time the rest of those things took up. 

But really, I have no clue. I see people with 4.0 GPAs and internships and I think that's fantastic and they're definitely getting in. Then they say they got rejected and I'm like... Oh. Okay. I'm just gonna sit here and hope for a miracle then.

On a side note, that volunteer experience sounds amazing. I would love to have a chance to volunteer with aphasia patients! It's something I've been super interested in since learning about it in my Psych of language class! 

try for an aphasia center, in my region theyre always looking for more people

3 minutes ago, OverCaffeinated said:

try for an aphasia center, in my region theyre always looking for more people

Sadly, the closest center is about 1.5 hours away, and I don't think I can make it during its business hours because I was as a teacher in a town that's in the opposite direction. The hospital I volunteer at doesn't allow us to help in the speech services center so I pretty much help in the senior center. I'm hoping to get to study aphasias more though in the clinic of whatever school I end up attending :)

1 minute ago, rzilby said:

Sadly, the closest center is about 1.5 hours away, and I don't think I can make it during its business hours because I was as a teacher in a town that's in the opposite direction. The hospital I volunteer at doesn't allow us to help in the speech services center so I pretty much help in the senior center. I'm hoping to get to study aphasias more though in the clinic of whatever school I end up attending :)

that sounds like a solid plan, try for aphasia research

39 minutes ago, rzilby said:

I think they're really looking for quality of experiences vs quantity.

3 minutes ago, speechie94 said:

i didnt do arts and crafts while there if thats what u mean

im 90% sure its my sop. it wasnt flowing for this school as it didnt for others... probably showed

Edited by OverCaffeinated

Just now, speechie94 said:

But how would they be able to decide which counts as quality? I'm sure a ton of applicants have volunteering hours, internships, observation hours, etc. What sets all those apart from each other? 

It's just so crazy how competitive it is. And even being wait-listed feels stressful because then you have the uncertainty of what you'll be doing in the fall lingering.

Hey, friends!

I know several of you are anxiously awaiting to hear back from UT Dallas. Just wanted to share that Dr. Stillman e-mailed me this evening to notify me of my acceptance! I've also been offered a scholarship that allows me to pay tuition at the in-state rate, as I am from Tennessee. This is my first acceptance, and I could not be happier! I will definitely be waiting to hear back from some more schools, but UTD is very high on my list.

Best of luck!

1 minute ago, kellyfussman said:

Hey, friends!

I know several of you are anxiously awaiting to hear back from UT Dallas. Just wanted to share that Dr. Stillman e-mailed me this evening to notify me of my acceptance! I've also been offered a scholarship that allows me to pay tuition at the in-state rate, as I am from Tennessee. This is my first acceptance, and I could not be happier! I will definitely be waiting to hear back from some more schools, but UTD is very high on my list.

Best of luck!

Congratulations on your acceptance! :)

Schools don't accept the most qualified applicants all the time. That's not strategic. The number of students that turn them down after receiving an acceptance is counted against them in rankings. If you seem like you're not going to take their offer (either by way of not super enthusiastic SOP, or because your stats are too high and you're obviously using them as a back up system) they're not going to offer you admission. Plus, schools have considerations like whether they need to accept students from a variety of backgrounds, or if they have in-state percentage requirements. Honestly after years of applying to things I've realized that it's rarely all about you, lol. Most of the time you're competing against an idealized candidate in the minds of whomever you're trying to impress. You just need to fall into the bell curve of acceptable people, roll the dice, and hope.

3 minutes ago, kellyfussman said:

Hey, friends!

Best of luck!

Congratulations! In-state tuition is the dream!!

10 minutes ago, esopha said:

Schools don't accept the most qualified applicants all the time. That's not strategic. The number of students that turn them down after receiving an acceptance is counted against them in rankings. If you seem like you're not going to take their offer (either by way of not super enthusiastic SOP, or because your stats are too high and you're obviously using them as a back up system) they're not going to offer you admission. Plus, schools have considerations like whether they need to accept students from a variety of backgrounds, or if they have in-state percentage requirements. Honestly after years of applying to things I've realized that it's rarely all about you, lol. Most of the time you're competing against an idealized candidate in the minds of whomever you're trying to impress. You just need to fall into the bell curve of acceptable people, roll the dice, and hope.

Exactly! As for what I said earlier about the quality of experiences, it was something I was told by an applicant from last year who got into a really competitive school. 

I wonder if being a minority ethnicity in the field has anything to do with admissions? A lot of schools seem to value diversity.