2016 Applicants

1 hour ago, jelizabethvt said:

Hey everyone! 

I have a quick question that I was wondering if you could all help me with?

At what point is it okay to email the school and ask when they will notify you?  I don't want to bother them and ruin my chances of acceptance if they haven't made a decision but I am basing a lot of things off of this acceptance such as leaving my current job for a new one etc (i don't want to go to a new job now if I am accepted as it wouldn't make sense to work there for only a few months before graduate school).   I also have only applied to one school so if I don't get in I need to decide what my next step is.

Thanks in advance!

I would also check the admissions results page and see when your school started sending out responses last year. If they didn't send out information until mid to late March, I'd consider waiting until then to contact them. 

44 minutes ago, rainsonata said:

Got my first rejection letter today from CSUSM.  Wasn't even offered an interview.  I really hope I get into at least one program this year

I'm sorry to hear that; rejections are never fun. Keep your chin up, though. One rejection is not the end of the road!

To those that applied or are thinking of attending SDSU/ San Diego. Current and past students have notified me of the heartless and unsupportive attitudes of the faculty and their unjust selection process. Overall you would be better attending and applying to any other Cal school but them. Save the money and go where you are given the attention you deserve. I withdraw my application to them this Fall before it was too late. I just think this is something future and current applicants should know.

I'm seeing people posting about getting letters from Wisconsin Eau Claire (on-campus program). I still haven't gotten anything, and it looks like a lot of people already wrote accepted. I don't know, I just feel like mine will be a rejection :( Then it'll be 3/12 schools rejected, 1 interview mystery answer, and 8 unknowns of which the majority will probably be rejections. I'm so stressed over the idea that I'm going to be two years out of college and not in a program. I feel like my stats are just really mediocre. They're not bad, but they're not great either. Just kind of in the middle and not going to get noticed compared to applicants with great extras and wonderful GPAs. Anyone else in the same boat of not one acceptance yet?

Hi everyone! I have been stalking gradcafe for the past month, but I figured I would share some information. I contacted a few schools today about when we should be hearing back, and I got two replies. First, Montclair said that we usually hear results six weeks after the deadline, which would be the week of the 14th. Also, we will only be notified via mail, but the portal's status may change before we get a letter. Second, West Chester's communication disorders applications are being sent for review at the end of this week! And of course they take forever to make decisions, so the woman I spoke to said we will definitely hear back by the end of April. THE END OF APRIL. Lol so if you're waiting to hear back from them, it'll be a while. I emailed Stockton, Monmouth, and Kean as well. If I hear back from them, I will be sure to post it. :)

10 minutes ago, cmkay25 said:

Hi everyone! I have been stalking gradcafe for the past month, but I figured I would share some information. I contacted a few schools today about when we should be hearing back, and I got two replies. First, Montclair said that we usually hear results six weeks after the deadline, which would be the week of the 14th. Also, we will only be notified via mail, but the portal's status may change before we get a letter. Second, West Chester's communication disorders applications are being sent for review at the end of this week! And of course they take forever to make decisions, so the woman I spoke to said we will definitely hear back by the end of April. THE END OF APRIL. Lol so if you're waiting to hear back from them, it'll be a while. I emailed Stockton, Monmouth, and Kean as well. If I hear back from them, I will be sure to post it. :)

Thanks a ton for this! I'm waiting on Montclair and Stockton, so hopefully the letters won't come too late..

1 minute ago, rzilby said:

Thanks a ton for this! I'm waiting on Montclair and Stockton, so hopefully the letters won't come too late..

You're welcome!! I hope not either though. I keep checking the results page everyday and checking last year's dates like they are going to change day to day. Lol I just want to know already :(

56 minutes ago, rzilby said:

I'm seeing people posting about getting letters from Wisconsin Eau Claire (on-campus program). I still haven't gotten anything, and it looks like a lot of people already wrote accepted. I don't know, I just feel like mine will be a rejection :( Then it'll be 3/12 schools rejected, 1 interview mystery answer, and 8 unknowns of which the majority will probably be rejections. I'm so stressed over the idea that I'm going to be two years out of college and not in a program. I feel like my stats are just really mediocre. They're not bad, but they're not great either. Just kind of in the middle and not going to get noticed compared to applicants with great extras and wonderful GPAs. Anyone else in the same boat of not one acceptance yet?

I thought the exact same thing! I saw people had found things out, but my letter from UW Eau Claire did not send to my college house... it sent to my permanent home address today! People got their letters so much earlier than me...I'm not sure why this happened, but maybe that happened to you? Do you commute or live on your campus?

UW Stevens Point also told me I was supposed to get a post in the mail last week with a form to fill out, but I didn't get it until today.... maybe the post is just slow? Hopefully you hear some good news! I just got my letter today and it was a waitlist, not a rejection, so maybe yours is on the way :) I also am yet to receive a straight up acceptance, so this whole process is nerve wracking! Hopefully some good vibes come our way!

Edited by koalalover1

56 minutes ago, rzilby said:

Don't worry. I'm in the same boat. Just waiting to at least have one acceptance but this is my first year of applying so I'm hoping all goes well for the both of us.

57 minutes ago, speechie94 said:

To those that applied or are thinking of attending SDSU/ San Diego. Current and past students have notified me of the heartless and unsupportive attitudes of the faculty and their unjust selection process. Overall you would be better attending and applying to any other Cal school but them. Save the money and go where you are given the attention you deserve. I withdraw my application to them this Fall before it was too late. I just think this is something future and current applicants should know.

Do you have any specific examples of what goes on at SDSU that you don't like?  I honestly don't know much about the program besides what I found online.  So far, I only have acceptances from SDSU and NYU so I'm leaning towards the cheaper option.  If you're not comfortable with posting publically on the forum, you can also PM me

20 minutes ago, koalalover1 said:

I thought the exact same thing! I saw people had found things out, but my letter from UW Eau Claire did not send to my college house... it sent to my permanent home address today! People got their letters so much earlier than me...I'm not sure why this happened, but maybe that happened to you? Do you commute or live on your campus?

UW Stevens Point also told me I was supposed to get a post in the mail last week with a form to fill out, but I didn't get it until today.... maybe the post is just slow? Hopefully you hear some good news! I just got my letter today and it was a waitlist, not a rejection, so maybe yours is on the way :) I also am yet to receive a straight up acceptance, so this whole process is nerve wracking! Hopefully some good vibes come our way!

Unfortunately, I don't think that could be the case. I currently only take pre-reqs online with them, and they've sent mail to my house successfully before, so I think there's been a mix up or it's just late. During the application process, they originally thought I was applying to the online program, even though everything was filled out correctly on the CSDCAS portal. I thought it was sorted out after I spoke to the university, but now I'm paranoid that it got mixed up.... I got a rejection to the online course a few months ago, but I assumed it was a left over mistake. I just thought of it now, but I'm going to e-mail because I'm freaked out from it. I wish I thought more of it when it arrived, but last year I had so much mail from random schools I didn't think twice :( 

1 hour ago, speechie94 said:

Can you elaborate?  I know some current and past students and no one has told me that.  More so about the treatment of actual graduate students since I am already waitlisted.  

Also I know one program Professor personally and she is very supportive...I know she is just one Professor though so i'm interested to hear what you've heard.

Just looking for more concrete details to make a fully informed decision.  

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, rzilby said:

Unfortunately, I don't think that could be the case. I currently only take pre-reqs online with them, and they've sent mail to my house successfully before, so I think there's been a mix up or it's just late. During the application process, they originally thought I was applying to the online program, even though everything was filled out correctly on the CSDCAS portal. I thought it was sorted out after I spoke to the university, but now I'm paranoid that it got mixed up.... I got a rejection to the online course a few months ago, but I assumed it was a left over mistake. I just thought of it now, but I'm going to e-mail because I'm freaked out from it. I wish I thought more of it when it arrived, but last year I had so much mail from random schools I didn't think twice :( 

That's a good idea! If you are taking prereqs from them, and your CSDCAS was filled out correctly for the on campus application, they should fairly look at you for the right application I would think. I don't know how CSDCAS works or how schools get applications, but wouldn't it separate if you did everything correctly? Better to notify them now than never! It could have been their mistake, otherwise they are sending letters in waves. I'm new to this process so I'm not really sure how it works! :wacko:  Hopefully it works out! Whenever I got in contact with Eau Claire they were very nice and accommodating. I had transcript issues from my high school college credits, and mine arrived a couple of weeks past the January 1 deadline and they were very nice about it. Hope it works out for you! 

4 minutes ago, koalalover1 said:

That's a good idea! If you are taking prereqs from them, and your CSDCAS was filled out correctly for the on campus application, they should fairly look at you for the right application I would think. I don't know how CSDCAS works or how schools get applications, but wouldn't it separate if you did everything correctly? Better to notify them now than never! It could have been their mistake, otherwise they are sending letters in waves. I'm new to this process so I'm not really sure how it works! :wacko:  Hopefully it works out! Whenever I got in contact with Eau Claire they were very nice and accommodating. I had transcript issues from my high school college credits, and mine arrived a couple of weeks past the January 1 deadline and they were very nice about it. Hope it works out for you! 

Yeah, I just sent an e-mail with a copy of the correspondences. I think the confusion was because I e-mailed previously to register for online classes, and am currently enrolled there.

I spoke to Marie Stadler and she was really helpful. It just terrified me because even if they review it and it was good enough to get in, decisions were probably sent out. Even if I could have gotten in, all the spots were given and a waitlist was probably established. I have a 4.0 with them :( I'm just really crushed right now. I have to submit a lab by midnight for a class and it feels useless. I know it's not, but it was just the moment where your stomach drops and it feels like something bad is about to happen. I'm an hour ahead in NJ, so I'll call them tomorrow after work, but this feels pretty devastating right now.

I have proof that they told me my app was sent to the correct place.. Do you think they would give it a chance?

8 minutes ago, rzilby said:

Yeah, I just sent an e-mail with a copy of the correspondences. I think the confusion was because I e-mailed previously to register for online classes, and am currently enrolled there.

I spoke to Marie Stadler and she was really helpful. It just terrified me because even if they review it and it was good enough to get in, decisions were probably sent out. Even if I could have gotten in, all the spots were given and a waitlist was probably established. I have a 4.0 with them :( I'm just really crushed right now. I have to submit a lab by midnight for a class and it feels useless. I know it's not, but it was just the moment where your stomach drops and it feels like something bad is about to happen. I'm an hour ahead in NJ, so I'll call them tomorrow after work, but this feels pretty devastating right now.

I have proof that they told me my app was sent to the correct place.. Do you think they would give it a chance?

I would definitely try to call them again tomorrow. It doesn't hurt to ask! I would hope they give you a chance if you have that proof... your CSDCAS was right too, so you did everything you were supposed to so I don't know what else you could do besides try and plead your case. I don't get how they can even mix that up but it sounds like with what you're saying you have a legitimate chance! Especially because you have called them before and talked about it. It is early in the process, so better now to try than just forget about it! I just got my letter today so decisions must just be happening. I don't get how it works though when people got theirs well before me but I didn't get rejected? I thought for sure I was rejected first round. You never know! 

Edited by koalalover1

1 minute ago, koalalover1 said:

I would definitely try to call them again tomorrow. It doesn't hurt to ask! I would hope they give you a chance if you have that proof... your CSDCAS was right too, so you did everything you were supposed to so I don't know what else you could do besides try and plead your case. I don't get how they can even mix that up but it sounds like with what you're saying you have a legitimate chance! It is early in the process, so better now to try than just forget about it! I just got my letter today so decisions must just be happening. I don't get how it works though when people got theirs well before me but I didn't get rejected? I thought for sure I was rejected first round.

I hope stress is just making me emotional and over-react right now. I'm going to call and pretty much beg them to be understanding. Here's the e-mail confirming that everything I did was correct. I sent them all the correspondences from start to finish though, just to be sure.

"Rachel,

I checked both CSDCAS and our university system this morning. You have a verified application in CSDCAS for our residential program only. So, if you want our online program committee to review your application, contact CSDCAS about that.

You have completed the university application for both the online and residential program,

Marie Stadler"

I'm not sure why she said I have the application completed for both because I never did anything for the online grad program only for the post bac courses (I'm taking them as a special student though, not as the full program), but either way that means the app was done correctly. I hope this is just me being overly anxious because I got the idea of a mistake in my head.

1 minute ago, rzilby said:

I hope stress is just making me emotional and over-react right now. I'm going to call and pretty much beg them to be understanding. Here's the e-mail confirming that everything I did was correct. I sent them all the correspondences from start to finish though, just to be sure.

"Rachel,

I checked both CSDCAS and our university system this morning. You have a verified application in CSDCAS for our residential program only. So, if you want our online program committee to review your application, contact CSDCAS about that.

You have completed the university application for both the online and residential program,

Marie Stadler"

I'm not sure why she said I have the application completed for both because I never did anything for the online grad program only for the post bac courses (I'm taking them as a special student though, not as the full program), but either way that means the app was done correctly. I hope this is just me being overly anxious because I got the idea of a mistake in my head.

I'm sure that's what it is! Never hurts to call though and make sure! Either way it does for sure say you did both, so I would definitely call and straighten it away to alleviate the anxiety.  :) Also keep checking your mail just in case something happened! 

2 hours ago, rzilby said:

This is exactly how I feel. I've only heard from 1/10 schools and it was a rejection. It's my first year applying but I'm already worried I won't get in anywhere and I'll have to spend another year doing this next time.

2 minutes ago, koalalover1 said:

I'm sure that's what it is! Never hurts to call though and make sure! Either way it does for sure say you did both, so I would definitely call and straighten it away to alleviate the anxiety.  :) Also keep checking your mail just in case something happened! 

Thank you for the reassurance, I really appreciate it. Hopefully good news is on the way tomorrow. Or I'm going to crepe place next to my office and eating away my sadness lol.

1 hour ago, SpeechEm said:

Don't worry. I'm in the same boat. Just waiting to at least have one acceptance but this is my first year of applying so I'm hoping all goes well for the both of us.

4 minutes ago, slptobe92 said:

This is exactly how I feel. I've only heard from 1/10 schools and it was a rejection. It's my first year applying but I'm already worried I won't get in anywhere and I'll have to spend another year doing this next time.

The first year is really rough, because the process is new and the wait is killer. I really hope you both get some good news soon from your schools!

Anxiety and stress also make things feel worse. I only applied to 4 schools, and got waitlisted last year, so that was hard to deal with. But a lot of good things happened the following year, so we need to try to stay positive and look at both acceptances and rejections as an opportunity (easier said than done). I've only heard from 3/12, and two were not the answers I was hoping for. But there's still time. I guess the good thing is that we'll get a flood of reponses in the coming weeks, to make up for the miserable amount of waiting. This week and next should be a lot more exciting at least :/... 

5 hours ago, cosmicmorgan said:

I'm sorry to hear that; rejections are never fun. Keep your chin up, though. One rejection is not the end of the road!

Thanks for the encouragement!  Keeping my fingers crossed to get in somewhere. 

I see you applied to Syracuse like I did.  You know when we should expect them to respond back?  I got an email saying they were going to interview me, but I never got an additional email after that for more information, so I'm afraid of being rejected...  I checked my spam box as well, but nothing from Syracuse.  

4 minutes ago, rainsonata said:

I see you applied to Syracuse like I did.  You know when we should expect them to respond back?  I got an email saying they were going to interview me, but I never got an additional email after that for more information, so I'm afraid of being rejected...  I checked my spam box as well, but nothing from Syracuse.  

So did you ever end up interviewing with Syracuse? I got the same emails but then one asking for more information about when to do an interview. I think the should be sending them out the end of this week, or the beginning of this week.

4 minutes ago, rainsonata said:

You must have misread my signature; I didn't apply to Syracuse. But how long ago did you get that email? You should follow up.