2016 Applicants

Randomly checked my email and I got an acceptance from SIUE (Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville)!! I'm so happy cause it's where I currently attend and I'm gonna be able to save quite a bit going here at least having in-state tuition. 

6 hours ago, Jolie717 said:

Did you apply to Core or Med?  Out-of-state might have an impact, but I am out-of-state as are others who have been accepted, so who knows?  Honestly, no SLP major should beat themselves up about not being accepted to any program, no matter how high or low on the "list."  We are a part of a VERY competitive major.  More competitive than many majors that parents WISH their children chose, lol.

I applied to Core! 

12 hours ago, lindzzz said:

Feeling this. I'm a second time applicant. I've been in the field since 2005 (Speech language pathology assistant).. And last year I was straight up rejected; I was so shocked. That's a long story in itself. Basically they didnt even look at my app :( So I improved my prereq marks (only thing really lagging in my application) and applied to more schools (I live in Canada. Options are VERY limited up here). But I am so, so, so terrified that I'm still not going to get in & there's really not much more I can do besides take a ton more courses that I don't need. I'm 31 this year and I feel very overwhelmed by the thought of not being successful in pursuing my career :(

Anyway.. Just commiserating

Oh man, its really tough :( But you have experience actually being in the field, so your chances should be improved a lot by that! I was considering becoming an SLPA but I wasn't sure how, or where I would be able to do that, as I live in NJ and I don't think its an option here. I don't know your stats, but I feel like with the experience and improvement in your pre-reqs, you definitely would have a good chance. Hang in there!

If you don't mind me asking, how does it work in order to become an SLPA? I thought there was still an exam to pass and courses to take? Unless I misunderstood what I read about it?

4 hours ago, kellshow13 said:

Is anyone else still waiting on hearing from SLU?

I am! My mom talked to them and they said they had sent out all their acceptances in February but then someone else talked to them and they said that they hadn't. So I'm going with the latter and hope they send more out soon!! 

26 minutes ago, rzilby said:

Oh man, its really tough :( But you have experience actually being in the field, so your chances should be improved a lot by that! I was considering becoming an SLPA but I wasn't sure how, or where I would be able to do that, as I live in NJ and I don't think its an option here. I don't know your stats, but I feel like with the experience and improvement in your pre-reqs, you definitely would have a good chance. Hang in there!

If you don't mind me asking, how does it work in order to become an SLPA? I thought there was still an exam to pass and courses to take? Unless I misunderstood what I read about it?

Thanks for the kind words!! My subGPA was 3.75 last year when I applied. I was told my experience would count for a lot, but since they didn't look at my application my experience didn't even factor in. So that's my fear for this year, not getting looked at again. Unfortunately my subGPA is down a bit this year because I had a 6 credit course that was really tough & I got a B+ in it. So now my GPA is 3.68, so I'm more nervous because of that. The rumour for most schools is they really only look at apps with over a 3.7 (in Canada). There's only 6 schools up here, and I applied to the five that I had the prerequisites for. I guess we will see.. 

I'm not too sure how it works in America for SLPA. I took a two year diploma program. I think it's less time in other provinces though.. Maybe only one year. 

17 minutes ago, lindzzz said:

Thanks for the kind words!! My subGPA was 3.75 last year when I applied. I was told my experience would count for a lot, but since they didn't look at my application my experience didn't even factor in. So that's my fear for this year, not getting looked at again. Unfortunately my subGPA is down a bit this year because I had a 6 credit course that was really tough & I got a B+ in it. So now my GPA is 3.68, so I'm more nervous because of that. The rumour for most schools is they really only look at apps with over a 3.7 (in Canada). There's only 6 schools up here, and I applied to the five that I had the prerequisites for. I guess we will see.. 

I'm not too sure how it works in America for SLPA. I took a two year diploma program. I think it's less time in other provinces though.. Maybe only one year. 

Oh okay, I'm not familiar with Canadian schools :( I can't believe they didn't even look at your application though, that's pretty terrible on their part.

Last year, I applied and had a GPA of 3.75 as well, but I was a transfer student and had a lower GPA from my first school due to personal problems. Pretty much my first year and a half, I got down to like a 2.8 because of reasons completely outside of school, but my last year and a half was 4.0 every semester and was on the Dean's List and working part time. I graduated with like a 3.0 and transferred to my state school, which gave me a separate GPA (3.63 when I graduated). So when CSDCAS averaged them together, I had like a 3.2, despite showing an improved GPA for the past 3.5 years (I studied 5 years total between the schools). I wasn't able to see what it averaged to this year, as the system changed a bit, but I still can't imagine it being that great. It was discouraging because it feels like they won't even see the improvement despite the fact that I was 17-18 when I had the bad GPA, and am 23 now, and a lot has changed in that time.

I guess it's beyond our control at this moment though, so all we can do is hope that some of the schools will look beyond the grades and at the whole application. I really hope they take a look at your application because you deserve a fair chance!

1 hour ago, rzilby said:

Not sure how it works in the US, but in Canada there's a 1 year college program for CDA (SLPA). http://www.cdaac.ca/programs.htm for more info :)

52 minutes ago, rzilby said:

Oh okay, I'm not familiar with Canadian schools :( I can't believe they didn't even look at your application though, that's pretty terrible on their part.

Last year, I applied and had a GPA of 3.75 as well, but I was a transfer student and had a lower GPA from my first school due to personal problems. Pretty much my first year and a half, I got down to like a 2.8 because of reasons completely outside of school, but my last year and a half was 4.0 every semester and was on the Dean's List and working part time. I graduated with like a 3.0 and transferred to my state school, which gave me a separate GPA (3.63 when I graduated). So when CSDCAS averaged them together, I had like a 3.2, despite showing an improved GPA for the past 3.5 years (I studied 5 years total between the schools). I wasn't able to see what it averaged to this year, as the system changed a bit, but I still can't imagine it being that great. It was discouraging because it feels like they won't even see the improvement despite the fact that I was 17-18 when I had the bad GPA, and am 23 now, and a lot has changed in that time.

I guess it's beyond our control at this moment though, so all we can do is hope that some of the schools will look beyond the grades and at the whole application. I really hope they take a look at your application because you deserve a fair chance!

Yeah it's pretty shocking that they have you pay so much money and then don't even take the time to look at your application. :( Hopefully all schools aren't like that, it definitely doesn't seem like the case in the States, which is awesome! 

I'm sorry to hear that you also seemed to have got a bit screwed by the system. And it sucks that if the school doesn't look at your personal statement to see your explanation/journey.. then they'll never know the work you've put in to improve yourself. I also went to more than one school and I know it gets confusing when they are calculating GPA and it's very possible for them to overlook things, make mistakes, etc. Or it's just so cut and dry like averaging marks together, when that shouldn't be the be all end all. 

3 hours ago, EESpeechie said:

I am! My mom talked to them and they said they had sent out all their acceptances in February but then someone else talked to them and they said that they hadn't. So I'm going with the latter and hope they send more out soon!! 

I also spoke to the program director ( Dr. Brammer) around Feb. 20th and she assured me that they were still going though applications and acceptances were still getting sent out. She said they had not even developed a wait list yet. 

3 hours ago, r4chung said:

Not sure how it works in the US, but in Canada there's a 1 year college program for CDA (SLPA). http://www.cdaac.ca/programs.htm for more info :)

Thanks, I'll check it out! :)

3 hours ago, lindzzz said:

Yeah it's pretty shocking that they have you pay so much money and then don't even take the time to look at your application. :( Hopefully all schools aren't like that, it definitely doesn't seem like the case in the States, which is awesome! 

I'm sorry to hear that you also seemed to have got a bit screwed by the system. And it sucks that if the school doesn't look at your personal statement to see your explanation/journey.. then they'll never know the work you've put in to improve yourself. I also went to more than one school and I know it gets confusing when they are calculating GPA and it's very possible for them to overlook things, make mistakes, etc. Or it's just so cut and dry like averaging marks together, when that shouldn't be the be all end all. 

I really hope this year is better for both of us! At least its only a few weeks left of waiting... :/

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 0:55 PM, CBG321 said:

Does anyone have any student contacts at NAU or are there any undergraduate students that could give me some details on their program?  I'd love to PM some questions I had about how they are set up if anyone has first hand experience with this program!

I know the NAU graduate program very well; I only know a little about the undergraduate program. They are not in the same department. What kind of questions do you have?

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 6:13 PM, rzilby said:

Do you guys think it would be safe to say I'm rejected from Queens College if I haven't received an interview offer by now?

My friend also got a call from MGH tonight regarding an acceptance, and my application still says "being reviewed" in the portal, so should I assume that's a rejection too? 

I'm starting to get nervous because I haven't gotten a single acceptance out of 12 schools. Makes me wonder if my stats are worse than I thought.. But I don't even know what I can do to raise them since I've already graduated. I've taken the GRE twice and scored the same on verbal both times, and only got 1 point higher on math. My writing score did go up as I was more prepared for the essays this time. But other than continuing to get good grads with my pre-req, I'm not sure what else to do to improve if I don't get accepted. I think I panic a little more each passing day... 

I'm sure  your essay and letters of recommendation are really good. BUT sometimes, those two can be problematic. Sometime the applicants have long letters, or they ramble, or grammar is not very good. Other times, applicants don't even mention how they are a good fit for the schools. The schools LOVE to hear how you've done your research on the school and department. Sometimes in letters, writers mention something about your personality that is negative. It's amazing to me how little thought people put into who they ask to write letters. Anyway, you sound like you have good qualifications. Maybe you need to look into smaller, less known programs.

GOOD LUCK!!!

7 minutes ago, Southwest Speechie said:

I know the NAU graduate program very well; I only know a little about the undergraduate program. They are not in the same department. What kind of questions do you have?

I'm gonna jump in here and throw out a question-- what are the clinical placements like? Someone told me you don't get a ton of clinical opportunities. 

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 10:33 AM, honeydewthis said:

Hey all!

Got my second rejection today, but staying strong. A little nervous since I have been rejected from 2/5 schools I've applied to. I had a feeling that these schools (Temple and UMD) were a bit out my league for an outright acceptance, but I at least expected to wait-listed. Can a rejection (rather than a wait-list) this quickly mean that there is a red flag on my application that I should be trying to identify? I can politely ask the program what can be improved on my application for next time? 

I found out that Salus has a later application due date (but has rolling admissions) and want to give it a go despite the odds. For the other schools, I have a feeling my SOP may be presenting me in the wrong light (even though I was happy with it at the time). Anybody care to take a quick peek at my draft & give some critical feedback?

I'm happy to look at it for you.

9 minutes ago, racoomelon said:

I'm gonna jump in here and throw out a question-- what are the clinical placements like? Someone told me you don't get a ton of clinical opportunities. 

Well, who ever told you that doesn't know much. :) Usually in your first clinical experience, you are in the campus clinic, although you may be placed in one outside rotation. Students in the program have access to a few hospitals, some private clinics, schools, nursing homes, day and residential programs for developmentally delayed adults, etc. The clinic also conducts hearing and speech screenings around town and in the on campus clinic. Students tend to graduate with more than the 400 clinical hours necessary. They also try to accommodate your interests when they are placing you. The clinic director, Dr. Farinella, is very accommodating.

7 minutes ago, racoomelon said:

@Southwest Speechie Thank you! That's a much better impression than what I'd been given. It seems like you can get a lot of exposure to different settings. Which is pretty awesome. 

It's really a great program. It's small but you do get to know your professors. All the professors have doctorates and are really caring.

1 minute ago, Southwest Speechie said:

It's really a great program. It's small but you do get to know your professors. All the professors have doctorates and are really caring.

That's kind of what I'd like to see in my grad program. I'd like to be able to build a relationship w the faculty and be in a program that's small and close knit. 

3 minutes ago, racoomelon said:

That's kind of what I'd like to see in my grad program. I'd like to be able to build a relationship w the faculty and be in a program that's small and close knit. 

It's always good to look at the faculty/student ratio. Did you apply for their Full Time program? There's usually less than 25 in that program, and there are 12 full time professors.

2 minutes ago, Southwest Speechie said:

It's always good to look at the faculty/student ratio. Did you apply for their Full Time program? There's usually less than 25 in that program, and there are 12 full time professors.

Yeah! I got into the Full Time Leveler track, but I think they'll have me graduate in the usual two years ( with some additional course work) because I'm in the process of completing a lot of pre req work.

I didn't realize that the faculty to student ratio was so high! I've talked a bit with Dr. Harmon, but I need to spend more time looking at individual faculty memebers and program information. 

3 minutes ago, racoomelon said:

Yeah! I got into the Full Time Leveler track, but I think they'll have me graduate in the usual two years ( with some additional course work) because I'm in the process of completing a lot of pre req work.

I didn't realize that the faculty to student ratio was so high! I've talked a bit with Dr. Harmon, but I need to spend more time looking at individual faculty memebers and program information. 

Dr. Harmon is great. Each of the professor has their area of specialty, so you will be taking classes with your cohort. Your cohort will include levelers and full time, but they don't always take classes together. The faculty is really accessible, with offices on the same floor as the classrooms and the clinic. It's all contained in one floor of the building. Have you visited? Flagstaff is amazing.