Spring/Winter 2016 Applicants

7 hours ago, CalChi SLP said:

Has anyone heard from UTD or CSU Fresno ? 

@CalChi SLP  I just checked my portal yesterday evening and it updated to denied so if you haven't check recently maybe check again. So glad I turned my application in early in July only to be stuck waiting until November to hear a "no". I'm very unimpressed with UTD's admission process.

4 hours ago, SLPKMP said:

@CalChi SLP  I just checked my portal yesterday evening and it updated to denied so if you haven't check recently maybe check again. So glad I turned my application in early in July only to be stuck waiting until November to hear a "no". I'm very unimpressed with UTD's admission process.

Would you consider your stats low by any chance? I thought applying early would be favorable to your admission...

1 hour ago, speechie94 said:

Would you consider your stats low by any chance? I thought applying early would be favorable to your admission...

@speechie94 I did discuss my application with Dr. Stillman and he mentioned my GRE scores are a little low (296 total) and given that I'm coming out of field (although I am in the medical field) I figured those are the 2 things that hurt me.

10 minutes ago, SLPKMP said:

@speechie94 I did discuss my application with Dr. Stillman and he mentioned my GRE scores are a little low (296 total) and given that I'm coming out of field (although I am in the medical field) I figured those are the 2 things that hurt me.

It seems from reading here (I realize not a large sample), that a lot of people have GRE's for UT Dallas more in the 309 range and up (not that a score like that guarantees your acceptance at all). It also seems that applying early doesn't necessarily help an applicant get it, but rather, applying closer to the deadline can impact acceptance (if they have already offered acceptances to students applying earlier)

I can only imagine how frustrated you are.....I'd be upset at the end result as well.....it seems unfair to put students through that.

3 hours ago, SLPKMP said:

I am now freaking out...haha. My GRE scores are in the lower range

On 12 November 2015 at 7:22:26 PM, SLPKMP said:

Hey , checked mine and I was rejected too. I agree with being stuck , it's really frustrating. I just hope I get into Fresno. Alteast we have some clarity now. Good luck! 

On 11/14/2015, 10:28:31, CalChi SLP said:

Hey , checked mine and I was rejected too. I agree with being stuck , it's really frustrating. I just hope I get into Fresno. Alteast we have some clarity now. Good luck! 

@CalChi SLP Bummer, so sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed for you getting into Fresno. I found out this week I was accepted into TWU's leveling program so I think I am going to try to get some leveling classes under my belt so I can apply to more schools next time. From what I've read on these discussions, it's not a matter of if we will get in but a matter of when it will happen. Best of luck to you!

1 hour ago, SLPKMP said:

@CalChi SLP Bummer, so sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed for you getting into Fresno. I found out this week I was accepted into TWU's leveling program so I think I am going to try to get some leveling classes under my belt so I can apply to more schools next time. From what I've read on these discussions, it's not a matter of if we will get in but a matter of when it will happen. Best of luck to you!

Oh wow , congratulations!!!!! That's great news :)  Yes I agree with you , it's just about making our application as strong as we can and then waiting. Good luck ! Will keep you posted on any updates from Fresno ! 

On November 10, 2015 at 8:55:14 PM, Awhitehouse2 said:

No I haven't heard anything. I'll keep you updated with the news around UCF. I agree though about decisions being sent out probably next week because of ASHA.

Have you heard any updates about when UCF is maybe giving out more decisions? 

14 minutes ago, Awhitehouse2 said:

Nope :/ still nothing ! The wait is killing me!

Ugh :(. I received a third rejection yesterday, so now I'm still waiting to hear from UCF and another school. I also started working on my fall apps, in case I don't get into these remaining two schools I'm waiting to hear from. So frustrating...

2 hours ago, moni28 said:

Ugh :(. I received a third rejection yesterday, so now I'm still waiting to hear from UCF and another school. I also started working on my fall apps, in case I don't get into these remaining two schools I'm waiting to hear from. So frustrating...

Yeah I mean honestly, I'm thinking about starting to study for the gre again... I don't want to but if I don't get in ill have to retake it. :/

6 minutes ago, Awhitehouse2 said:

Yeah I mean honestly, I'm thinking about starting to study for the gre again... I don't want to but if I don't get in ill have to retake it. :/

Ughh; do you know how many schools you want to apply to for the fall, if you have to re-apply?

1 hour ago, Awhitehouse2 said:

All of the ones in Florida that aren't private, except one. So I think like 6 or 7. What about you?

Around the same; I'm going to apply to 4 in New York, 1 in Pennsylvania, and 1 in Virginia; mostly private though. Where I live in New York, there are more private schools than public universities near my town, unfortunately. The closest public university with our masters to where I live at home is the school I currently attend for undergraduate, but I don't want to attend the same school as my undergrad for masters, if I can. I've had a reasonably decent experience here with professors and classes, but I want a change of scenery, lol.

Hello all.  I graduated from UNC-Chapel Hill with degrees in biology and psychology.  Aside from having taken an introductory linguistics course and psycholinguistics, I do not have a background in SLP areas.  Given this, I am looking at applying to programs that do not require an undergraduate background in SLP.  Right now I'm considering Vanderbilt and Iowa.  What other schools should I look into?

Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.71 (That's what I get for being a bio major, but at least my GPA has a positive trajectory with high grades junior/senior years).

GRE: 170 Verbal/168 Quantitative/5.0 AW

Edited by St0chastic

On November 18, 2015 at 9:31:26 PM, moni28 said:

Around the same; I'm going to apply to 4 in New York, 1 in Pennsylvania, and 1 in Virginia; mostly private though. Where I live in New York, there are more private schools than public universities near my town, unfortunately. The closest public university with our masters to where I live at home is the school I currently attend for undergraduate, but I don't want to attend the same school as my undergrad for masters, if I can. I've had a reasonably decent experience here with professors and classes, but I want a change of scenery, lol.

Have you heard anything? The waiting is killing me!