Spring/Winter 2016 Applicants

I just declined my offer to Appalachian state, hopefully someone else will hear good news soon.

I spoke with the director, Dr. McCullough, and she was very helpful. She gave me very candid advice. She told me that no matter where I go, I will get the job I want, so she would advise me to go to the cheaper school, or cost being roughly the same go to the school in the location I would prefer to live. 

She also helped me compare Appalachian State and Central Missouri over the phone. She seems like she would be great to work with. I ended up declining because of the schedule (clinic all day, class at night, intense because it is a short program), the price, and the location (snow + mountain roads + night + CA girl + tiredness= unsafe driver). 

Hoping everyone gets good news from the schools they haven't heard from yet!

3 hours ago, Awhitehouse2 said:

Yeah let me know how it goes! I'm curious! Good luck!

It wasn't too bad, thank you! I wasn't asked any academic questions, just personal/situational based questions, and it lasted 15 minutes. I felt pretty good about the interview, but with so much competition, who knows, but I hope I made a good impression :)

3 hours ago, moni28 said:

It wasn't too bad, thank you! I wasn't asked any academic questions, just personal/situational based questions, and it lasted 15 minutes. I felt pretty good about the interview, but with so much competition, who knows, but I hope I made a good impression :)

Omg my friend just got rejected from UCF and someone else posted rejection on the results page :/ becoming so real

1 hour ago, Awhitehouse2 said:

Omg my friend just got rejected from UCF and someone else posted rejection on the results page :/ becoming so real

I saw that on the results page too!! I still have no change in app status...not sure if that's a good thing, or if my app just hasn't been reviewed yet, and they're sending out rejections anyway...

23 minutes ago, moni28 said:

I saw that on the results page too!! I still have no change in app status...not sure if that's a good thing, or if my app just hasn't been reviewed yet, and they're sending out rejections anyway...

Yeah, I mean for now it's a good thing we haven't heard. Fingers crossed for us! My friend and the other girl I know had decent stats and really good GPAs so I wonder if it's the personal letter that is the most important!

12 minutes ago, Awhitehouse2 said:

Yeah, I mean for now it's a good thing we haven't heard. Fingers crossed for us! My friend and the other girl I know had decent stats and really good GPAs so I wonder if it's the personal letter that is the most important!

That's possible! Or maybe there's a stronger focus on the GRE too?

15 minutes ago, Awhitehouse2 said:

I don't think so because the first girl who got denied had 150 verbal 150 math and I think 4 writing... 

Ah; then yeah, probably not the GRE then. I think on UCF's website too, they said they accept GRE scores near the 50th percentile anyway, so those scores are fine! I'm not sure then why those people got rejected then, but graduate admissions are so unpredictable....that's frustrating though 

1 minute ago, moni28 said:

Ah; then yeah, probably not the GRE then. I think on UCF's website too, they said they accept GRE scores near the 50th percentile anyway, so those scores are fine! I'm not sure then why those people got rejected then, but graduate admissions are so unpredictable....that's frustrating though 

I know! That's what is so crazy about this whole process... I mean you really do not know what they are looking for. Obviously you have to be a fit for their program and have good enough scores. That's why it's so important to make sure you stand out!

Just now, Awhitehouse2 said:

I know! That's what is so crazy about this whole process... I mean you really do not know what they are looking for. Obviously you have to be a fit for their program and have good enough scores. That's why it's so important to make sure you stand out!

Mhm! It's so unfortunate that having a high GPA and even high GRE scores truly don't guarantee you an acceptance. I think if I don't hear anything by the middle of next week, I might e-mail or call the chairperson of the department at UCF, and ask for an update on my application status, especially since some people have received rejections anyway.

37 minutes ago, moni28 said:

Mhm! It's so unfortunate that having a high GPA and even high GRE scores truly don't guarantee you an acceptance. I think if I don't hear anything by the middle of next week, I might e-mail or call the chairperson of the department at UCF, and ask for an update on my application status, especially since some people have received rejections anyway.

That's probably a good idea! I'm surprised you haven't heard from the other schools too!

That's probably a good idea! I'm surprised you haven't heard from the other schools too!

Me too! The school I interviewed at today said they'll send decisions within the next two weeks. One of my schools told me they'll send my decision by late November, and another school I applied to hasn't given me any updates either, so I have to call them too. The only decision I received was a rejection two weeks ago. I'm hoping next week, I'll get some decisions; maybe we'll both hear from UCF next week. It's frustrating because I do plan to apply for Fall 2016, if I don't get accepted anywhere for the Spring, but I really wanted to receive all of my decisions from the Spring before starting those apps...

2 minutes ago, moni28 said:

Me too! The school I interviewed at today said they'll send decisions within the next two weeks. One of my schools told me they'll send my decision by late November, and another school I applied to hasn't given me any updates either, so I have to call them too. The only decision I received was a rejection two weeks ago. I'm hoping next week, I'll get some decisions; maybe we'll both hear from UCF next week. It's frustrating because I do plan to apply for Fall 2016, if I don't get accepted anywhere for the Spring, but I really wanted to receive all of my decisions from the Spring before starting those apps...

Yeah I'm in the same boat. If I don't get in then I want to retake the gre... But I would like to start studying asap. Since ASHA is next week I feel like they might really wait to send out acceptances till the end of November. I just want to know! Ugh

Yeah I'm in the same boat. If I don't get in then I want to retake the gre... But I would like to start studying asap. Since ASHA is next week I feel like they might really wait to send out acceptances till the end of November. I just want to know! Ugh

Mhm! I wish there was a universal deadline for Spring decisions to go out because that would make everything so much easier...

On November 6, 2015 at 8:06:02 PM, moni28 said:

Mhm! I wish there was a universal deadline for Spring decisions to go out because that would make everything so much easier...

Just found out a girl in my classes last semester was accepted to UCF. Ugh have you heard anything ?

Just found out a girl in my classes last semester was accepted to UCF. Ugh have you heard anything ?

How did she find out? Email? Post mail? Phone call? 

I still haven't heard anything from five of the schools I applied to and I'm on two waitlists... Life is rough when you're waiting! 

18 minutes ago, cheltroy said:

I still haven't heard anything from five of the schools I applied to and I'm on two waitlists... Life is rough when you're waiting! 

She found out from email! 

Wow, congrats to her! & ughhh, no, I still haven't heard anything! I checked the portal and my e-mail too, and nothing is there. What about you? I know tomorrow's Veteran's Day (I don't know if UCF is open, even though it's a federal holiday? My college is), so I'm assuming no decisions will be sent out tomorrow, and the ASHA convention begins the day after, so I guess I won't hear anything until at least next week...

23 minutes ago, cheltroy said:

I totally empathize with waiting to hear from schools still! I'm still waiting to hear from 4 schools. One of my schools said they'll send out decisions by the end of next week, so I'm hoping these other schools will do the same/send out decisions before Thanksgiving...it's very frustrating though, especially as some of the schools I applied to are out-of-state, so there are additional factors to consider then.

34 minutes ago, moni28 said:

Wow, congrats to her! & ughhh, no, I still haven't heard anything! I checked the portal and my e-mail too, and nothing is there. What about you? I know tomorrow's Veteran's Day (I don't know if UCF is open, even though it's a federal holiday? My college is), so I'm assuming no decisions will be sent out tomorrow, and the ASHA convention begins the day after, so I guess I won't hear anything until at least next week...

No I haven't heard anything. I'll keep you updated with the news around UCF. I agree though about decisions being sent out probably next week because of ASHA.

No I haven't heard anything. I'll keep you updated with the news around UCF. I agree though about decisions being sent out probably next week because of ASHA.

Awesome! Thank you! If I receive any notification of a decision too, I'll let you know.

3 hours ago, Awhitehouse2 said:

Typically less people apply for spring though! I don't think we will find out this week due to ASHA.

Oh, I didn't even think about that! You're probably right. I just don't know why some people are finding out if they were accepted or rejected already. Good luck to you! I am a FL resident too!

1 hour ago, jdb10c said:

Oh, I didn't even think about that! You're probably right. I just don't know why some people are finding out if they were accepted or rejected already. Good luck to you! I am a FL resident too!

Yeah I really have no idea. It confuses me too.. It seems like a small amount of people found out and I do not know the reason behind it. I'm super anxious though!! I'm staying positive and confident with my application! Fingers crossed! Good luck to you as well! Did you go to UCF for undergrad?