Fall 2016 Applicants

morlvera

I hope everyone had a relaxing holiday break! As much as I should have, I didn't work on any applications while I was on vacation with family.

Last night I managed to submit my MSW apps for Minnesota and Washington, leaving me with UT-Austin, Michigan and UChicago. I'm going to hunker down and get all social work and public policy apps submitted by this Friday so I can truly be done with this application cycle!

Does anyone know when U Houston starts sending out acceptances? They opened the MSW applications in August and say they're on a rolling cycle (March is the cutoff date, I guess?) I can't find dates of acceptances from former cycles :| 

I'm also doing the MSW/MPH dual program, so timed both applications to be done for UT Houston's 12/1 priority deadline. Turning in the UH one early would have been pointless because they need my final transcript and I had classes in the fall. My GRE was pretty good (315/4.0), my GPA for upper levels was 3.8 range--I'm worried that my SOP is going to be a weak spot.

Checking in here. I've submitted my advanced standing applications at San Diego State University, Michigan, WUSTL, U Washington, University of Kentucky, and University of Texas - Austin. Still have Boston College and University of Denver left to send in but I just need to edit my essays so they should be submitted by the end of the week. I've submitted all of mine within the past couple of weeks. I think I'll be applying to University of Louisville too just to have two in state schools. I'll let y'all know how it goes. Good luck everyone.

yogaandpearls06 That's amazing!!! Congratulations :-) 

I just submitted my application for NYU Advanced Standing MSW yesterday. I hope to hear back as quickly as you. How were you notified? By email, mail, phone, etc... Also did you have to complete an interview?

Finished my remainining MSW applications this weekend, and now I can finally say I am done applying for programs this cycle!

Honestly, I feel like I'll have no issue waiting out the results from admissions. I don't want to think about this stuff anymore unless I have to, lol.

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2015 at 10:16 AM, flip456 said:

fenetian, I am applying there as well I will need to check that out. Mine has been marked verified correct for all but two items. I have had everything in for about 2 months yet they still aren't marked verified correct. It's a bit frustrating because they say that you will hear an answer about 8 weeks after everything is marked verified correct. 

Hey flip456! Wanted to let you know that I spoke with an admissions rep at UIC today to check on my one unverified application item and she went through to check everything for me and now my application is (finally) under review! Hope things are under way for you too. Good luck!

I figured I'd join in on this since all of my applications are complete (finally!)

I'm applying to dual degree programs.

Columbia (MSW/MPA): I got deferred early action from the MPA

UNC (MSW/MPA)

Boston University (MSW/MPH)

UPenn (MSW/MPA): I have my interview in two weeks

Ohio State (MSW/MPA)

University of Georgia (MSW/MPH)

University of South Carolina (MSW/MPA)

Pretty diverse group of schools, but I only chose schools I would LOVE to go to. I'm a pretty average applicant but I'm hoping that I'll get accepted into at least one of my reach schools. Good luck to everyone!

Hey, we applied to similar programs @lib1845! Cool to see another person in DC going for the public affairs-social work route. I focused in on joint MPP programs, except for Washington and Texas-Austin.

Has anyone heard back from Columbia? I know that they had a priority deadline. For those of you who applied during the priority deadline period, did you hear anything back from the School? Any update on your application status? Thank you!

On January 12, 2016 at 10:10 AM, fenetian said:

Hey flip456! Wanted to let you know that I spoke with an admissions rep at UIC today to check on my one unverified application item and she went through to check everything for me and now my application is (finally) under review! Hope things are under way for you too. Good luck!

Whoa fenetian that's awesome. I am going to call tomorrow! Mine has been "referred to program" for probably 10 weeks+. 

Best of luck! I hope the review process is speedy for you!

I got accepted to Maryland yesterday. I'm super excited, because it's my first choice and I wasn't expecting to hear anything until March at the earliest so I was totally shocked to get the email. Hopefully the Shriver Peaceworker fellowship will happen so that this dream can become a reality!

I am also thinking about applying for Yeshiva but the fact that their application deadline is not anywhere around the corner, I will wait until I hear back from the other 3 schools in NYC before I start my application with Yeshiva. 

I'm also applying for Fall 2016 and have submitted the following applications:

• CSULB (MSW)
  • CSULA (MSW)
  • SFSU  (MSW)
  • SDSU (MSW/MPH)
  • UCLA (MSW/MPH)
  • UC Berkeley (MSW/MPH)
  • Boston U (MSW/MPH)

Latest update: A faculty member from UC Berkeley contacted me on Jan 14 to provide notice that they approved my application for the MSW and are referring it to the MPH school for final review. I should hear final results by the end of this month. Wish me luck, and congrats on everyone who has been accepted so far!

1 hour ago, Opt4theBest said:

All, I have a question. Has anyone filled FAFSA? Is it too late if I file it at the end of February? I'm waiting for my spouse income and tax information (self employed).

I have filed mine out already. If you can, I would try to do it ASAP because you have better scholarship opportunities. You don't want to wait if you don't have to.