Fall 2016 Applicants

morlvera

On January 23, 2016 at 7:12 PM, Opt4theBest said:

Thanks Jessa. Will try to submit it this weekend. I'm sure we can revisit FAFSA and update the tax part once we have filed tax return and know for sure the real figures.

Yes, you can update your fafsa if you have changes. Maybe you can use the last paycheck you have. That should have all the same information number wise as a W2.

20 hours ago, fenetian said:

Heard back from UChicago SSA yesterday - Accepted + Dean's Leadership Award, which will cover about 2/3 tuition!

Hope those acceptances start rolling in for everyone!

Congrats! I hope I hear from UChicago soon...did they email you?

Anyone hear from WashU yet? I think they're supposed to be sending out acceptances soon...it's been about 8 weeks since I applied.

Just now, Joy418 said:

I am starting to get SO impatient! I just want to hear from all the rest of the schools already!

Also--how do we edit our signature? I can't find the option anywhere.

Look under "Account Settings" instead of "Profile". :)

2 minutes ago, RCtheSS said:

Look under "Account Settings" instead of "Profile". :)

Oh my gosh thank you! I was smart enough to find it before but just could not figure out where it was to update it!

You're welcome! I can't wait until I can make another edit to my signature, haha.

I'm starting to hit a wall of impatience waiting to hear back from programs, but January is just about over so time is indeed passing! We've got this.

Hi all! I was accepted to UChicago last week and am nervous I won't hear back from Boston College (submitting today, waiting on one rec) before the deposit deadline on March 4th. I want to give both programs equal consideration (esp. re: $$$), any advice on how to best proceed?

On 1/24/2016 at 1:47 PM, Joy418 said:

Anyone hear from WashU yet? I think they're supposed to be sending out acceptances soon...it's been about 8 weeks since I applied.

I emailed them last week because my application was still marked as "incomplete" in the self-service center, even though I had submitted all application materials.  It showed that my application fee had not been received, which I was previously advised was a normal error that would go away once they begun processing my application.  I emailed them again after a month and a half had gone by with no changes.  Apparently, this was not normal and it prevented my application from being processed on time.  So I was advised that my application was being "expedited" and that I should hear back by February 1st.  So I am assuming that early decision applicants should be made aware of their status around that time or sooner.

34 minutes ago, ediblestranger said:

I emailed them last week because my application was still marked as "incomplete" in the self-service center, even though I had submitted all application materials.  It showed that my application fee had not been received, which I was previously advised was a normal error that would go away once they begun processing my application.  I emailed them again after a month and a half had gone by with no changes.  Apparently, this was not normal and it prevented my application from being processed on time.  So I was advised that my application was being "expedited" and that I should hear back by February 1st.  So I am assuming that early decision applicants should be made aware of their status around that time or sooner.

Thanks for letting me know! I'm glad everything was sorted out with your application. We applied to a lot of the same schools!

Hoping WashU notifies me like now ;) I guess it really should be any day

2 hours ago, senseless_panic said:

Hi all! I was accepted to UChicago last week and am nervous I won't hear back from Boston College (submitting today, waiting on one rec) before the deposit deadline on March 4th. I want to give both programs equal consideration (esp. re: $$$), any advice on how to best proceed?

How did you hear from UChicago? I applied to them early and am still waiting. I'm guessing you could ask UChicago to extend your deadline--I think most schools are pretty understanding.

I'm actually finishing up my undergrad at BC right now and also applied to the program here. I didn't receive any indication from them on when I might hear back...might pop into the office tomorrow and ask them. 

6 hours ago, Joy418 said:
23 minutes ago, Joy418 said:

Thanks for letting me know! I'm glad everything was sorted out with your application. We applied to a lot of the same schools!

Hoping WashU notifies me like now ;) I guess it really should be any day

So I noticed!  Good luck with all of your applications!  Just out of curiosity, how was Case's scholarship offer?  Their scholarships are supposed to be pretty substantial.  Any word on funding from Pitt yet?  For those of us who are guaranteed* admission I know we're supposed to get a guaranteed merit scholarship - I'm just wondering what that might look like.

*There literally was an asterisk like this where it said "guaranteed admission" on the website, with no explanation of what that is supposed to mean.

1 minute ago, ediblestranger said:

So I noticed!  Good luck with all of your applications!  Just out of curiosity, how was Case's scholarship offer?  Their scholarships are supposed to be pretty substantial.  Any word on funding from Pitt yet?  For those of us who are guaranteed* admission I know we're supposed to get a guaranteed merit scholarship - I'm just wondering what that might look like.

*There literally was an asterisk like this where it said "guaranteed admission" on the website, with no explanation of what that is supposed to mean.

I talked with the Dean of Admissions at Pitt at a grad fair. He was super nice. He said yes, you do really get guaranteed admission and a merit scholarship. He was very honest and said Pitt doesn't have the same resources as Michigan or WashU, so it would definitely be a partial scholarship in most cases. He did say they have opportunities for grants the second year--for example, a mental health grant that gives you 10K cash. And that grant is actually not as competitive as one might think. They are sending out scholarship offers mid February.

I got 30K over the 2 years at Case. Which is ok, but still leaves about 56K out of pocket, plus living expenses. I don't know if what I got is average or above/below.

1 minute ago, Joy418 said:

I talked with the Dean of Admissions at Pitt at a grad fair. He was super nice. He said yes, you do really get guaranteed admission and a merit scholarship. He was very honest and said Pitt doesn't have the same resources as Michigan or WashU, so it would definitely be a partial scholarship in most cases. He did say they have opportunities for grants the second year--for example, a mental health grant that gives you 10K cash. And that grant is actually not as competitive as one might think. They are sending out scholarship offers mid February.

I got 30K over the 2 years at Case. Which is ok, but still leaves about 56K out of pocket, plus living expenses. I don't know if what I got is average or above/below.

Thanks for the information!  As for the 30K from Case - that doesn't include funds from the paid field stipend, does it?  Did they give you any idea what they'll be giving you for that?  I believe it's supposed to be vary per applicant as it's based on experience.  I'm hoping to get a decent stipend because I have almost two years' worth of case management experience in community mental health.  For Pitt, I still plan on applying for the Cannon Fellowship since it's not due until March 1st, but I'd venture to guess that it's pretty competitive.

35 minutes ago, ediblestranger said:

Thanks for the information!  As for the 30K from Case - that doesn't include funds from the paid field stipend, does it?  Did they give you any idea what they'll be giving you for that?  I believe it's supposed to be vary per applicant as it's based on experience.  I'm hoping to get a decent stipend because I have almost two years' worth of case management experience in community mental health.  For Pitt, I still plan on applying for the Cannon Fellowship since it's not due until March 1st, but I'd venture to guess that it's pretty competitive.

The 30K from case does include funds for the paid field stipend, yes. I'm a really strong applicant academically but don't have as much experience so that definitely hurts me I would guess. I'd be curious to hear what you get for scholarship once you hear. And good luck on the Cannon!

On 1/26/2016 at 0:26 PM, RCtheSS said:

You're welcome! I can't wait until I can make another edit to my signature, haha.

I'm starting to hit a wall of impatience waiting to hear back from programs, but January is just about over so time is indeed passing! We've got this.

Yes totally wall of impatience! The holidays distracted me and now I'm just ready to hear back from everyone like right now.

I got my first acceptance from the University of Michigan!  

For those of you still waiting, here's a little tip.  In the self-service center, under credentials, a new line for official transcripts will appear (as "not received") before your status may actually be updated - if you are accepted.  I noticed that much earlier today and then I got the status update.

Good luck everyone!

7 hours ago, ediblestranger said:

I got my first acceptance from the University of Michigan!  

For those of you still waiting, here's a little tip.  In the self-service center, under credentials, a new line for official transcripts will appear (as "not received") before your status may actually be updated - if you are accepted.  I noticed that much earlier today and then I got the status update.

Good luck everyone!

Firstly, congrats! When did you submit your application to Michigan?

I submitted mine January 10, and I have seen the "Transcript not received" message on the Wolverine Access portal as soon as I was able to access it.

I could be mistaken, but I'm almost certain the official transcript request did not appear in the self-service center, for me, until shortly before I was accepted.  How does it look for everyone else?  I applied on 12/01.  I also applied for the Integrated Healthcare Scholarship, which I am still waiting to hear back on.

I got an email from BC today! Got accepted :) Will get my official letter and scholarship offer in the mail soon (hopefully very soon since I live on Boston College's campus haha). But they want a decision within 3 weeks of getting the letter. That is probably not going to happen so hopefully they give me an extension. 

4 hours ago, ediblestranger said:

I could be mistaken, but I'm almost certain the official transcript request did not appear in the self-service center, for me, until shortly before I was accepted.  How does it look for everyone else?  I applied on 12/01.  I also applied for the Integrated Healthcare Scholarship, which I am still waiting to hear back on.

Mine shows the same thing it's shown for nearly two months: a mix of "official transcript received" and "unofficial transcript." I also applied 12/01 for Integrated Healthcare.  I have no acceptance email, so I am guessing a rejection is coming, my second from UMich in less than a week (the other being for the MPH program).