Fall 2016 Applicants

morlvera

I'm a bit pessimistic today!  I think it's great people are now hearing back after all the time, work, and effort we all put into our applications. Congrats on UMich!!!  Do you have a number one choice/dream school or will it depend on the admissions cycle? 

I got into UChicago SSA!!!

This is CRAZY, I submitted my application on January 10 and did not expect to hear back so soon! Also received a Dean's Distinguished Leadership Award!! I just flipped out all over the office at work!

Edited by RCtheSS

hey all - i heard back from michigan but they want to have an interview. earliest february 18. does anyone know why they'd want to conduct an interview beforehand or has anyone been in this situation recently? thanks! 

Edited by jazzythree

On 1/28/2016 at 4:56 PM, anony2888 said:

I'm a bit pessimistic today!  I think it's great people are now hearing back after all the time, work, and effort we all put into our applications. Congrats on UMich!!!  Do you have a number one choice/dream school or will it depend on the admissions cycle? 

My top choices are UMich, UChicago, WUSTL, and UWashington - so having been accepted into one already takes a lot of the pressure off.  If I get into more than one of these schools, it will be really tough to decide, but these are good problems to have!

1 hour ago, RCtheSS said:

This is CRAZY, I submitted my application on January 10 and did not expect to hear back so soon! Also received a Dean's Distinguished Leadership Award!! I just flipped out all over the office at work!

Congratulations RC!  I would flip out too!  I applied about a month before you and still haven't heard anything back, so I can guess where this is going.

20 minutes ago, LAT said:

Congrats RCtheSS! I can't see your signature since I'm on mobile, top choice?

I'm still waiting to hear back from 11 other programs, haha. I applied to dual MPP/MSWs at six universities, so I have a lot more waiting to do.

11 minutes ago, ediblestranger said:

Congratulations RC!  I would flip out too!  I applied about a month before you and still haven't heard anything back, so I can guess where this is going.

Hey, you never know! I don't think any of us know what to expect out of this process anymore. But belated congrats on getting into Michigan yesterday! 

Yes, I am dying to know the answer to this as well.  I really expected to have a decision by now.  I applied by 12/15 for early decision and never thought I would still be waiting.  From the looks of this website though, it does not look like anyone is hearing from WUSTL?

4 hours ago, RCtheSS said:

RC, congratulations! You rock!

7 hours ago, anony2888 said:

I wonder where WUSTL is in all of this...the admissions timeline says those who applied by the early decision deadline will hear by February 1st, which is Monday.

I totally expected to hear by now. I guess we'll see if we all hear Monday. If not, I'm sure they'll have tons of phone calls at the office! They're my first choice right now and it's killing me not knowing.

11 hours ago, RCtheSS said:

Congratulations! That's amazing!

14 hours ago, Jillattte said:

Yes, I am dying to know the answer to this as well.  I really expected to have a decision by now.  I applied by 12/15 for early decision and never thought I would still be waiting.  From the looks of this website though, it does not look like anyone is hearing from WUSTL?

Check your statuses, you guys.  I think they may have programmed decisions to come out at midnight - because I just checked the website to find that I was accepted!

I was accepted too, and with a $10,000 scholarship.  I can't believe it!!!!!!  

I just received the email to check my status...after already checking my status. 

Btw, I have not submitted my FAFSA.  These scholarships are merit awards. The financial aid package will likely be loans after this part, unless you have applied to one of their special programs/fellowships.  The feds don't offer any need-based grants for graduate students.  

Edited by anony2888

1 hour ago, anony2888 said:

I was accepted too, and with a $10,000 scholarship.  I can't believe it!!!!!!  

I just received the email to check my status...after already checking my status. 

Btw, I have not submitted my FAFSA.  These scholarships are merit awards. The financial aid package will likely be loans after this part, unless you have applied to one of their special programs/fellowships.  The feds don't offer any need-based grants for graduate students.  

I was going to ask whether or not you had submitted your FAFSA.  I got a similar scholarship offer ($15K/2 years) and I think it was likely because I did not submit my FAFSA until last week as it took awhile for me to receive my W2's.  I sent the school an email asking whether or not I could still be considered for need-based aid this point.  While my expectations are low, I am hoping that they can offer me something more as without additional aid this program would cost around $100,000!

BTW - Congratulations!

Edited by ediblestranger

5 minutes ago, Joy418 said:

Accepted to WUSTL! Yay!

I got 20K in scholarship which is definitely not as much as I was hoping for. This is my first choice so I might see if I can get more. But I'm excited to be in :)

20K? That's a lot already. When I hear the scholarship you got, Columbia's is like a joke. My husband got 4K a year from Columbia in 2010. You guys are awesome!

4 minutes ago, Joy418 said:

Accepted to WUSTL! Yay!

I got 20K in scholarship which is definitely not as much as I was hoping for. This is my first choice so I might see if I can get more. But I'm excited to be in :)

Congratulations, Joy!  Did you submit your FAFSA?  I am hoping that these are just merit scholarships, and that they will consider that many of us were unable to submit our FAFSAs until we got our W2's.  Although you can submit your FAFSA without it and update it later, most schools will only consider your most recent submission date when awarding aid as it's first-come, first-serve.

Just now, Opt4theBest said:

20K? That's a lot already. When I hear the scholarship you got, Columbia's is like a joke. My husband got 4K a year from Columbia in 2010. You guys are awesome!

That's the reason I didn't even apply to Columbia! I knew their scholarships were terrible. 

I'm paying for my MSW completely by myself after just having paid for 4 years of undergrad, so trying to take out as little loans as possible! 

1 minute ago, ediblestranger said:

Congratulations, Joy!  Did you submit your FAFSA?  I am hoping that these are just merit scholarships, and that they will consider that many of us were unable to submit our FAFSAs until we got our W2's.  Although you can submit your FAFSA without it and update it later, most schools will only consider your most recent submission date when awarding aid as it's first-come, first-serve.

I did submit my FAFSA last week, probably around the same time you did. I don't really think they do non-merit scholarship, with the exception of some work study. 

I doubt the FAFSA played any role here. It's just too early.  W-2s aren't legally required to be sent until the end of January. 

It is expensive. I'm holding out on my in-state schools right now, unless I also get an offer to attend WUSTL's MPH program. My goal is to do the dual degree and if WUSTL ends up being the only school where I have both admits, that's where I will go.  If it comes down to just social work, I will choose one of my in-state schools. I have loved WUSTL's program for a long time, but I am also very practical and since the practice of social work is regulated for licensing purposes, they will all essentially teach you the same materials, making the most affordable option the smart choice. If you have research aspirations, that's a whole other kettle of fish!   

5 minutes ago, Joy418 said:

That's the reason I didn't even apply to Columbia! I knew their scholarships were terrible. 

I'm paying for my MSW completely by myself after just having paid for 4 years of undergrad, so trying to take out as little loans as possible! 

Columbia is a rip-off.  If you find their admissions stats, they admit almost everyone.  A lot of the Ivies make their money off of graduate programs, banking on the name and reputation to draw students in, then charging a huge amount and admitting a lot of students.  

Congratulations everyone!!!!!!  

4 minutes ago, anony2888 said:

I doubt the FAFSA played any role here. It's just too early.  W-2s aren't legally required to be sent until the end of January. 

It is expensive. I'm holding out on my in-state schools right now, unless I also get an offer to attend WUSTL's MPH program. My goal is to do the dual degree and if WUSTL ends up being the only school where I have both admits, that's where I will go.  If it comes down to just social work, I will choose one of my in-state schools. I have loved WUSTL's program for a long time, but I am also very practical and since the practice of social work is regulated for licensing purposes, they will all essentially teach you the same materials, making the most affordable option the smart choice. If you have research aspirations, that's a whole other kettle of fish!   

Regarding FAFSA, you don't need to wait for your W-2, you can estimate your income and tax based on last year paper. You can submit the form now and re-visit FAFSA after you have filed tax to enter the  accurate tax data. I submitted my FAFSA on Sunday night and it was processed and approved on Monday morning. But don't forget to go back to the website after you have your 2015 tax info.