Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

3 minutes ago, CalendarGirl said:

Hey thank you!!

I actually went and spoke to one of the coordinators at Waterloo and they seem so nice and caring!! The program is super small and they work really hard to find you a great placement! (also a great place to get good references I assume, that relate to the field of social work)

What do you see as the pros to taking a bsw? I am just trying to weigh the pros and cons!

That's good to hear they try and find you great placements. I think that's really important in terms of building experience for your CV. I think the pros of doing a 1 year BSW is more experience in the field (placement) and also I don't see it as a detriment instead of doing an MSW, because you can apply to advanced standing programs instead of 2 year programs. You can also work in the field with the BSW while waiting to apply to MSW programs. In terms of starting your career in social work, I don't see it as a step back because it's actually increasing chances of getting into MSW programs ( you can apply to more schools with 1 yr programs, more experience for CV, networking opportunities with profs and fellow students). Overall, I say it's less enticing that the MSW, because there's still no guarantee that you'll be accepted to an MSW the following year, but you can begin your education/path toward social work if you don't get into any MSW programs this year. For me, the cons are that I already have a BA and an MA, and I don't want to do another Bachelor's degree for the sake that I don't want to do another Bachelor's degree haha but in the end, it's getting you closer to becoming a social worker. Let me know what you decide! 

1 hour ago, Bettyg said:

Is there a facebook group set up for u of t yet? i haven't been following the thread this year and theres so many posts to look through! i have a silly question about housing i wanted to ask. 

Not that I'm aware of, but it would be awesome if someone started one and shared the link! I would love to join a Facebook group!

2 hours ago, MSW16 said:

Not that I'm aware of, but it would be awesome if someone started one and shared the link! I would love to join a Facebook group!

I just tried to create one but apparently you need to add at least one other group member before you can create a group! So if someone attending U of T in sept. for the 2 year program wants to give me their email I can create it! Can't wait to meet you all!!

1 hour ago, NB_MSW2016 said:

I just tried to create one but apparently you need to add at least one other group member before you can create a group! So if someone attending U of T in sept. for the 2 year program wants to give me their email I can create it! Can't wait to meet you all!!

i have messaged you! :)

15 hours ago, Sarah Erwin said:

So sorry to bug you about this, but what time did you hear yesterday? haha, wondering if they maybe have a time of day they usually submit these ;)

No trouble at all! MyFile was updated at 10am and I got an acceptance package by e-mail at around 1pm.

15 hours ago, 2016_MSW_UoT said:

Hey! Thanks for this support. 

Can I ask, between March 28th and receiving your letter today, what did your online accounts (SGS and ROSI) say? 

My ROSI changed first and my letter was dated for that day as well. My SGS account didn't change to 'decision made' until a week later (the same day I received my letter in the mail as there was the holiday in the meantime)

15 hours ago, Bettyg said:

Is there a facebook group set up for u of t yet? i haven't been following the thread this year and theres so many posts to look through! i have a silly question about housing i wanted to ask. 

Have you made the group? Would love to be a part of this too! Great idea!! 

24 minutes ago, AD-MSW said:

Have you made the group? Would love to be a part of this too! Great idea!! 

Apparently you need to add at least one Facebook friend to the group in order to create a new group .... so someone add me on Facebook so we can get the ball rolling!!! I'm Nat Bowman on there. My profile picture is me with a little white dog. Just shoot me a message letting me know who you are :D 

2 minutes ago, NB_MSW2016 said:

Apparently you need to add at least one Facebook friend to the group in order to create a new group .... so someone add me on Facebook so we can get the ball rolling!!! I'm Nat Bowman on there. My profile picture is me with a little white dog. Just shoot me a message letting me know who you are :D 

Sent you a request! :)

Hey friends, I created a Facebook group for those of us who will be attending U of T in September for the 2 year MSW program!! That way we can stop cluttering up this thread and stressing people out who are still waiting to hear back :( Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1593315070989021/

16 minutes ago, NB_MSW2016 said:

Hey friends, I created a Facebook group for those of us who will be attending U of T in September for the 2 year MSW program!! That way we can stop cluttering up this thread and stressing people out who are still waiting to hear back :( Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1593315070989021/

Great job! I joined the Facebook group (I'm Emily). 

Megan from laurier said the faculty is hoping to have ALL decisions sent out in the next few days!! What does this meaaan!! haha tomorrow is friday... so maybe tomorrow.... monday tuesday? Has anyone heard anything? she didn't really indicate if they had already started to send them out :(

Edited by CalendarGirl

15 minutes ago, CalendarGirl said:

Megan from laurier said the faculty is hoping to have ALL decisions sent out in the next few days!! What does this meaaan!! haha tomorrow is friday... so maybe tomorrow.... monday tuesday? Has anyone heard anything? she didn't really indicate if they had already started to send them out:(

This is torture!! I'm having major anxiety! I literally keep refreshing my email, hoping to receive something. 

1 minute ago, msw0913 said:

This is torture!! I'm having major anxiety! I literally keep refreshing my email, hoping to receive something. 

I know i am in the midst of exams and assignments and I am so distracted by this. One part of me is hopeful while the other is like LOL you have no chance haha... I am so ready to plan my life though...I think the fact that no one is on here being like "I GOT IN TO LAURIER" is a good sign haha...

Edited by CalendarGirl