2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

GeoDUDE!

3 hours ago, sheeppool said:

Congrats on your Columbia one! Anyway, I do like Purdue so I guess I can stay IN ONE PIECE a little bit longer...

One of my colleagues, who recently got a TT at a top 30ish school, got her PhD from Perdue, if that's any indicator. 

On March 7, 2016 at 4:22 PM, klippe said:

I got accepted into the University of Nebraska with a TA position and summer fellowship. Exciting times. Still waiting on Tulsa and New Mexico State, but I am not sure it even matters at this point. Sorta regretting not applying to some more prestigious schools...sorta.

Congratulations! Would you mind sharing how you found out? Was it posted to your GAMES account?

I applied there also and haven't heard anything. Anxiously awaiting!

On March 8, 2016 at 0:38 AM, columbia09 said:

I'm actually still waiting on Texas Tech but I highly doubt I'll get in since they already sent out their first wave. It doesn't matter I'm happy with Iowa and Oklahoma state. Now if SMU accepts me I'll be super happy ! 

Also waiting on Texas Tech. How did you hear that the first wave has already been sent out?

Edited by Proford
Grammar

51 minutes ago, Proford said:

Congratulations! Would you mind sharing how you found out? Was it posted to your GAMES account?

Also waiting on Texas Tech. How did you hear that the first wave has already been sent out?

Thanks! I actually got a text message from my POI informing me good news was on the way. This was about 10 days ago. Then a couple days later my status changed on the GAMES account. Last Saturday, I received my official offer letter in the mail.

Good luck :) I hope you hear back soon.

6 hours ago, Proford said:

One of my advisors told me he said they extend offers deep into the spring as people start rejecting them 

On 3/2/2016 at 10:47 AM, magnetite said:

Saw a few rejections from CU Boulder, both for master's degrees. That's the only program I've applied to that hadn't had any updates posted, so I'm assuming they're just starting to look at applications.

Just saw this. I actually was contacted by my POI at Boulder (for a PhD) a few weeks ago and had a Skype interview. He is flying me out there this month. He told me that the department got more applicants than they usually do and the professors are all fighting for RA funding from the department and also waiting to hear back about their own funding/students' results from fellowship apps such as NSF GRFP.

On 3/4/2016 at 9:43 AM, Eita1989 said:

I applied for 10 programs, most in California. Until now, 1 offer, 1 interview, 1 campus visit invitation (I think it's another interview). 

But I haven't received anything from the other 7 programs. I wrote emails to UW and UCSB since I saw someone has already been admitted on this website. No reply…… I feel anxious now:blink:

I applied to five, 4 in Cali. Haven't heard any from any of them. The only one was financial aid info for one of the schools, but it had a disclaimer saying that it did not indicate you were accepted or rejected yet. So still waiting but get more and more nervous :/ 

Hey guys! Long time reader, first time poster :)

Just wondering if anyone has heard from Western Washington Geology or University of Western Ontario (CAN) Earth Sciences?

Also, if anyone has been accepted to North Carolina State MEAS (I saw at least one so far on the Results chart), have you received any info regarding funding? I got the letter of acceptance from the Graduate School, but that's it! Getting a little impatient to hear more details about the program/offer.

Cheers!

7 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

^^^ That was just me. 

Congrats ! Was it a formal email or an email from your advisor and do you have a masters ?

Edited by columbia09

2 hours ago, seismicsadie said:

I applied to five, 4 in Cali. Haven't heard any from any of them. The only one was financial aid info for one of the schools, but it had a disclaimer saying that it did not indicate you were accepted or rejected yet. So still waiting but get more and more nervous :/ 

It seems that someone even got the admission in mid-May. I am confused why these programs are later than others. Nervous, too.

It was just a form letter from the college of Nat. Science. I don't have a masters. I'm coming straight from Bachelors to PhD.

I actually don't have any info other than that I was admitted. No funding info, nothing else.

On 08/03/2016 at 5:16 AM, Eita1989 said:

Thank you~ I am interested in ENSO and PDO. Polar climate seems like a very hot topic in the next few years. Professors doing this research have a lot of funding. There are great chances in polar climate, I should notice that and try to know more about it before my application. However, it's too late now.

Those are really cool topics too. Likewise I should really learn more about oceanography at the lower latitudes. I'm secretly kinda jealous of people with specialities in those regions. Much more comfortable field trips. Still, yeah, polar stuff is definitely having a good time in terms of funding, and should for a few more years, so I'm not complaining.

On 3/9/2016 at 10:54 AM, Eita1989 said:

It seems that someone even got the admission in mid-May. I am confused why these programs are later than others. Nervous, too.

So late! Yeah, I don't like how late it is, or at least how late it seems. I would like to know what I am doing next year and where I am living sooner than later.

On 09/03/2016 at 2:54 AM, Eita1989 said:

3 hours ago, seismicsadie said:

So late! Yeah, I don't like how late it is, or at least how late it seems. I would like to know what I am doing next year and where I am living sooner than later.

Yeah, some information would be good, especially for us international students who have restricted mobility when going to other countries (read: visas) and need more resources to move.

I'm expecting to wait until the end of April to hear officially from UC Davis, based on the "space available" application deadline on May 1st.  I already emailed my POI asking for any update, hoping that I can get some idea long before then on how I should move forward.

On 3/9/2016 at 11:36 AM, seismicsadie said:

I've heard UC schools can take longer so it might not be a big deal. Ex: UCSB had visit days a few weekends ago, last I heard they still hadn't put out offers. Of course, this assumes you're talking about a UC :)

8 hours ago, seismicsadie said:

4 hours ago, jader said:

Yeah, some information would be good, especially for us international students who have restricted mobility when going to other countries (read: visas) and need more resources to move.

I'm expecting to wait until the end of April to hear officially from UC Davis, based on the "space available" application deadline on May 1st.  I already emailed my POI asking for any update, hoping that I can get some idea long before then on how I should move forward.

It sounds like almost all schools got lots more (really good) apps this time around for whatever reason, so I think that's part of it.

Also, I think UCD sent out some rejects already (plus first-round offers), so I'd hazard you're on a wait-list, @jader...? Fingers crossed!

2 hours ago, gelologist said:

It sounds like almost all schools got lots more (really good) apps this time around for whatever reason, so I think that's part of it.

Also, I think UCD sent out some rejects already (plus first-round offers), so I'd hazard you're on a wait-list, @jader...? Fingers crossed!

Yeah, still hoping for the best! But just trying to keep things realistic. I guess it's just that any news would be motivation to get things going towards a certain direction, especially when other opportunities are peeking through the horizon.

Looks like you nailed all your applications, @gelologist, which is pretty awesome!  I would have applied to some of those schools if I felt confident that i wouldn't just be wasting my money on application fees, heh.  They all seem to have good programs on earthquake research.

15 hours ago, jader said:

It's a hard decision if you chose to wait. I sent emails to the programs I applied and only UCLA and UCI gave a reply, saying 'within the next two weeks'. 

14 hours ago, gelologist said:

I've heard UC schools can take longer so it might not be a big deal. Ex: UCSB had visit days a few weekends ago, last I heard they still hadn't put out offers. Of course, this assumes you're talking about a UC :)

Yeah, I am realizing that. I applied to three UCs. I currently go to UCSB, and I haven't heard anything from them which makes me nervous. But I haven't received any rejections either so hopefully I am still a thought! :) 

On 3/8/2016 at 9:01 AM, columbia09 said:

2 people were rejected from SMU and I didn't receive anything yet. No email and nothing has changed on the website. Is this a good sign ? Or no ?

The person who was rejected from SMU, was the email from your POI or the department ? 

21 hours ago, columbia09 said:

The person who was rejected from SMU, was the email from your POI or the department ? 

Im waiting on SMU as well, its probably my best chance at grad school. I haven't heard back from any of my other schools either. Looks like their spring break was last week so hopefully we hear back this week. 

Has PSU responded to anyone so far? In their last email it was said that 'we will not act on them until late February/mid March. ' and guess what, it's gonna be 'mid March' tomorrow, so... any suggestion?