2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

GeoDUDE!

On 7/2/2016 at 7:14 AM, Miner 49er said:

Congrats on hearing something from WHOI! I hear PO has funding for 1 student this year. LOL. My chances are down to zero for the Joint Program now, and that rejection from UW Oceanography was quick too!

Sorry for being a bit nosey, I was just wondering where/how you heard PO was only taking one student? 

Undergrad Institution: The Evergreen State College
Major(s): Chemistry(ish)
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: n/a (if I had to guess, ~3.7-3.9)
Overall GPA:
Position in Class: Near top?
Type of Student: male/white

GRE Scores (revised/old version): revised
Q: 162
V: 167
W: 4.5

Research Experience: Summer undergraduate research fellowship conducting ecological stream surveys/ assessing outgassing of CO2 from streams, followed up this research with independent research into inland aquatic carbon cycle throughout senior year of undergrad

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Worked as a lab tech at UW Oceanography lab from June - December, now an academic tutor

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: One of my letters of rec is from my undergrad advisor who worked with me through the fellowship, my independent research, and with whom I spent part of my winter break helping compete lab work for her own research project. I'm betting that letter is gold.

Applying to Where:

Oregon State University - MS/PhD in Oceanography (Ocean Ecology and Biogeochemistry) Accepted with full funding

University of Hawaii - MS/PhD in Oceanography (air-sea interaction), Accepted with full funding (RA)

University of Washington - PhD in Oceanography (general carbon cycle), 

University of Washington - MS in Forestry (terrestrial-aquatic interface)

21 hours ago, DrZoidberg said:

Sorry for being a bit nosey, I was just wondering where/how you heard PO was only taking one student? 

They ended up admitting 2. I work at WHOI and have credible sources

On 2/19/2016 at 8:59 AM, Miner 49er said:

Haven't received word from other schools still! Should I be buckle up and wait for a barrage of rejection letters now or what..:blink:

I haven't received anything from anywhere I applied either and it's starting to stress me out :( 

@zerozircon I have a friend who was accepted to Arizona State.  A few years ago, I have a different friend who got accepted at the University of Arizona - from what I recall, the acceptances rolled out a little later than most other schools.  

For those who still want updates on UW-Seattle ESS:  the department invited 15 people to visit the campus, and all applicants accepted the invitation.  I was told that it's the first time everyone has accepted the invitation in many years.  I was also told even if all of those students enroll, more offers will roll out, so keep your head up if you're still interested!  If you were rejected before today from UW ESS, your statement of purpose needs a lot of work (based on what I understand, please contact your POI for a solid answer on rejections).  For structure/geomorph people: I was told there were over 35 applicants in this pool.  One last thing: don't underestimate the importance of contacting your POI before applications are reviewed, ideally you'll be able to write about it in your statement of purpose.  

7 hours ago, zerozircon said:

Has anyone heard anything from Arizona or UC Davis?

we've already had accepted students visit, so I'm guessing most of the offers are out (davis). 

Edited by GeoDUDE!

So Arizona State's deadline is December 15th. Would it be safe to email asking for an update on admission status sometime next week? I was looking over their history on here, and they seem to be notorious for not notifying people they've been rejected or waitlisted in April. I'm assuming I've been waitlisted at this point, but would just like to confirm. I saw some admissions from that school as late as March.

Edited by CornUltimatum

@magnetite I only know my friend was accepted by UC Davis & ASU before 2/11/16. I'm not sure when ASU scheduled their open house.  My friend applied to an insane number of programs and has been accepted/invited out by all of them except Berkeley (I think it was Berkeley).  Since he can only accept one offer, a spot at ~10 other programs will (potentially) open up after he makes his decision.  He still has multiple schools to visit.    

@CornUltimatum My opinion: I'd only send out an email inquiring about admission status if I needed to know or if I was really chummy with my POI. 

Undergrad Institution: California State University
Major(s): Geography
Minor(s): Geology
GPA in Major: Not sure
Overall GPA: 3.5
Position in Class: N/A
Type of Student: Domestic Male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 144
V: 150
W: 3.0

TOEFL Total: (if applicable, otherwise delete this)

Research Experience: 

1. I am working as a geologist and GIS analysts in the Mojave Desert

2. Petrological Research in the Mojave

3. Extensive geological mapping of Death Valley

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Geography Honors Society

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Only active members of geology club and honors society

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: LGBT and Latino

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Undergraduate senior thesis in the Mojave Dessert

Speaks Spanish and American Sign Language fluently

Advanced in GIS and cartography

Applying to Where:

Cal State LA - Geology - hydrogeology MS
San Francisco State - Geology - hydrogeology MS
Chico State - Geology - hydrogeology MS

San Diego State - Geology- petrology MS

Edited by GeoMasters2016

4 hours ago, zhtmahtm said:

Is there anyone who heard anything about OSU CEOAS or UW Oceanography?

I think OSU has reached out to prospective students and is having their student open house this weekend/next week-ish. 

Someone posted a rejection from Nebraska today. I am waiting to hear from them, so at least that was something. Sorry for the person that did not get in. It's brutal going through this process and getting excited only to see that rejection email.

22 minutes ago, geophys said:

Apart from the invitees to visit earlier this month, has anybody had any news from UT Austin?

The next round of decisions usually go out in March and they are dependent on who accepts offers 

17 hours ago, geophys said:

Apart from the invitees to visit earlier this month, has anybody had any news from UT Austin?

I was informed by POI of my recommendation for admission and acceptance by the admissions committee. Final approval by dean's office is left.

So it looks like I'll have the choice between LDEO at Columbia, Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences at Boulder and very likely Atmospheric Sciences at University of Washington. Psyched to have been accepted to a few places, but having a super hard time coming to a decision.