2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

GeoDUDE!

So I applied to Boulder, Oregon, Utah University, and Wyoming...Boulder and Oregon both rejected me within the same week and I hadn't heard from Utah or Wyoming so I started applying for jobs and resigned myself to believing my chances were gone.

I got invited out to Wyoming yesterday!!  :lol: AHHH!!!! Does anyone know what that means as far as my chances of getting in? I mean I know that's better than being rejected..but I'm worried that I'm going to get my hopes up again and end up being denied.

Best wishes to everyone!

1 hour ago, JJEdwards said:

So I applied to Boulder, Oregon, Utah University, and Wyoming...Boulder and Oregon both rejected me within the same week and I hadn't heard from Utah or Wyoming so I started applying for jobs and resigned myself to believing my chances were gone.

I got invited out to Wyoming yesterday!!  :lol: AHHH!!!! Does anyone know what that means as far as my chances of getting in? I mean I know that's better than being rejected..but I'm worried that I'm going to get my hopes up again and end up being denied.

Best wishes to everyone!

Congrats!! I think it means your chances of getting in just went up, and you're on the short list for admission! You should definitely go, and put on your best face, expect a casual interview. They're feeling you out to see if you'll be a good candidate.

@zerozircon I probably should have specified that I am in EER rather than Geology. I just said JSG because I do not think there are really any other EER applicants on this board. There was no mention of aid in my initial letter and I talked to the program contact at the end of February who insisted that decisions on awards had not been made yet but should be by Friday, March 11 (they are on Spring Break this week). I thought I would hear back today since it is March 15, unless I did not get any.

Edited by Windmills

17 hours ago, sheeppool said:

Has PSU responded to anyone so far? In their last email it was said that 'we will not act on them until late February/mid March. ' and guess what, it's gonna be 'mid March' tomorrow, so... any suggestion?

Most of their decisions are out with few exception. This is what I heard back last week. What remains might either be a waitlist or blanket rejection that comes out very deep in the year.

3 hours ago, Deepwater said:

Most of their decisions are out with few exception. This is what I heard back last week. What remains might either be a waitlist or blanket rejection that comes out very deep in the year.

I see... Thank you! 

13 hours ago, Geo1993 said:

Does anyone have any opinions on University of Kansas vs. University of Utah?

for what? school-wise, and being a field-based hard-rock geologist who's heard a lot for example about the seismo network they run at yellowstone, i'd say Utah, while acknowledging that i know little about KU. i don't know anything about the towns etc. though.

Hey guys, 

Has anyone applied for a History PhD and heard back from their schools? If so, did someone also apply to GWU? I was told I'm on a waitlist, and I've already gotten into LSE, but I was just wondering if anyone who got an offer wishes to choose another school over GWU so I might know my chances. 

Cheers. 

6 minutes ago, Rohail Salman said:

Hey guys, 

Has anyone applied for a History PhD and heard back from their schools? If so, did someone also apply to GWU? I was told I'm on a waitlist, and I've already gotten into LSE, but I was just wondering if anyone who got an offer wishes to choose another school over GWU so I might know my chances. 

Cheers. 

think you're in the wrong forum :/

Brand spankin' new poster but I thought I would throw my stats in here. I haven't heard much about Oregon State or Uni of Minnesota, but I feel right now, they must have made offers. I am probably going to decline 3/5 of my offers this weekend (McGill, Alabama and New Mexico) as their funding is good but not as great as WashU and Cornell.

If anyone has opinions on either school, let them be known! :D

----------------------------------------

Undergrad Institution: California State University
Major(s): BS Geophysics
Minor(s): None
GPA in Major: 3.51
Overall GPA: 2.9 (unfortunate beginning to my undergrad career)
Position in Class: near top
Type of Student: domestic female

GRE Scores (revised/old version): revised
Q: 154   V: 156  W: 4.0

Research Experience: One year undergraduate thesis, presented poster at AGU 2016.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Nothing of note

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Sat down with every POI at AGU and skyped the ones that didn't attend the conference before I even put in my applications

Applying to Where:
Cornell University - Earth and Atmospheric Sciences - Seismology/Remote Sensing MS
Washington University in St. Louis - Earth and Planetary Sciences - Seismology PhD
Oregon State University - CEOAS - Seismology MS
University of New Mexico - Earth and Planetary Sciences - Seismology MS
University of Alabama - Geological Sciences - Seismology MS
McGill University - Earth and Planetary Sciences - Seismology MS
University of Minnesota - Earth Sciences - Seismology PhD

Results:
Cornell University - Accepted
Washington University in St. Louis - Accepted
University of New Mexico - Accepted
University of Alabama - Accepted
McGill University - Accepted

Oregon State University - No Word
University of Minnesota - No Word

So I was checking out the results page for Arizona State. A different field posted stating that Arizona may not of notified those who are rejected yet due to it taking some time. I have seen this sort of issue pop up for Arizona State a few times in the past several years. 

On the other hand I also saw a post from a Geology applicant just a short while ago that said Arizona State, in fact, has yet to make much headway in their application process. 

Should I call in to check my status? Or should I wait? Their deadline was December 15th for applications, it is a bit bizarre they are taking so long on their decisions. 

Edited by CornUltimatum

17 hours ago, TuffSchist said:

Washington University in St Louis - Accepted

Really hard pressed to find a better seismology program than wiens or wysession. Hate the city of STL, but department is great, loved it when i visted. 

54 minutes ago, GeoDUDE! said:

Really hard pressed to find a better seismology program than wiens or wysession. Hate the city of STL, but department is great, loved it when i visted. 

I am heavily leaning this way. Cornell threw a wrench in my decision because.. well its Cornell. 

STL may be a meh city, but the biggest draw is that it's insanely livable compared to Ithaca. 

28 minutes ago, TuffSchist said:

I am heavily leaning this way. Cornell threw a wrench in my decision because.. well its Cornell. 

STL may be a meh city, but the biggest draw is that it's insanely livable compared to Ithaca. 

There is good bbq there. I did my masters a few hours away from there, and was also very interested in there dept (I was going to work with slava). I don't think "Cornell" should have any weight, imo, as both departments are pretty comparable. I'm friends with one of the grad students working with them, hes a super cool guy too. Hopefully you can visit both before making your decisions. 

4 hours ago, columbia09 said:

Anybody know how the city of Stillwater, OK is ? It's four hours from Dallas so that isn't bad 

Well... you're about an hour away from anything other than Stillwater. 

Low cost of living, lower crime... hot in the summer, cold in the winter. comfort index of 28 out of 100. You seem to be familiar with Dallas... which is a 25 out of 100, so just know that they're about the same. Nothing to really do in the town unless you're into the college scene. There are some big lakes nearby... with some mountain-biking.

Hi guys, I have been accepted to UH, Tulane, and Vermont and waiting to hear back from Boulder and Rice. I've received a TA offer at Tulane and Vermont but haven't heard anything from UH regarding funding yet. Does anyone have any info about UH's funding this year?

thanks!

3 minutes ago, cars12345 said:

Hi guys, I have been accepted to UH, Tulane, and Vermont and waiting to hear back from Boulder and Rice. I've received a TA offer at Tulane and Vermont but haven't heard anything from UH regarding funding yet. Does anyone have any info about UH's funding this year?

thanks!

UH sure does have info about UH's funding. Perhaps ask them ?

5 minutes ago, cars12345 said:

thanks!

Where and when did you find out about the offer from UH ?