2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

GeoDUDE!

1 hour ago, cars12345 said:

I received an email on March 7th telling me to check my application status. 

Oh ok they're the only university that's up in the air for me at this point. I think you asked about Rice? If you haven't heard anything at this point chances are they rejected you or at least that's what my POI said. UH does accept students without funding so you would have to pay I even think that they don't fund their master students at all which is why I applied for a PhD 

Edited by columbia09

51 minutes ago, columbia09 said:

Oh ok they're the only university that's up in the air for me at this point. I think you asked about Rice? If you haven't heard anything at this point chances are they rejected you or at least that's what my POI said. UH does accept students without funding so you would have to pay I even think that they don't fund their master students at all which is why I applied for a PhD 

Okay thanks for letting me know! I'm leaning towards Tulane anyway, but just wanted to keep an open mind. 

10 hours ago, cars12345 said:

Hi guys, I have been accepted to UH, Tulane, and Vermont and waiting to hear back from Boulder and Rice. I've received a TA offer at Tulane and Vermont but haven't heard anything from UH regarding funding yet. Does anyone have any info about UH's funding this year?

thanks!

I haven't heard any funding info from UH... and it looks like on the result board there were a few other people in the past who posted they didn't hear about it with their acceptances either. I couldn't find anything back in the old threads about it... so I guess it's just up in the air for now. 

1 hour ago, sjoh197 said:

I haven't heard any funding info from UH... and it looks like on the result board there were a few other people in the past who posted they didn't hear about it with their acceptances either. I couldn't find anything back in the old threads about it... so I guess it's just up in the air for now. 

You guys should ask your POIs they would probably have info for you 

5 minutes ago, columbia09 said:

You guys should ask your POIs they would probably have info for you 

Yeah... I thought about that, but then I realized that the acceptance letter didn't even actually confirm that he was the one who signed for me. I mean, I assume... since I wasn't contacted by anyone else, but how awkward would that be. 

I figured I should probably wait until i hear some kind of other correspondence. 

You guys should never hesitate to ask about funding at your department/prospective department. It's not a touchy subject at all. You are going to have to get used to it at some point. 

13 minutes ago, GeoDUDE! said:

You guys should never hesitate to ask about funding at your department/prospective department. It's not a touchy subject at all. You are going to have to get used to it at some point. 

Hate to sound super-stupid... but do you know who within the dept. we should ask? The grad academic advisor who "Provides information on application status, financial aid and prerequisites", our POI,  or someone else?

I have only received a form letter acceptance and no other correspondence as of yet, so I'm just not really sure where to go from here. 

Just now, sjoh197 said:

Hate to sound super-stupid

not stupid, its not the most obvious question. 

I would ask the director of the grad program (usually this is some sort of professor). Or, asking a department secretary, if there isn't a director, will help you get in the right place. 

10 hours ago, sunny12 said:

Hey all, Has anyone heard anything from Univ of Tulsa? I got accepted a while ago but still haven't heard anything about funding yet. :( 

Congrats. I was accepted to Tulsa, and I am currently awaiting funding information. My POI wants to offer me an RA. She told me I should hear something in the next two weeks (this was on the 11th, I believe). So, hopefully there will be news soon. I am trying to decide between Tulsa and Nebraska, and would love to be able to make that decision soon.

16 hours ago, klippe said:

Congrats. I was accepted to Tulsa, and I am currently awaiting funding information. My POI wants to offer me an RA. She told me I should hear something in the next two weeks (this was on the 11th, I believe). So, hopefully there will be news soon. I am trying to decide between Tulsa and Nebraska, and would love to be able to make that decision soon.

Well I called the geoscience dept at Tulsa and my POI is apparently on sabbatical and isn't responding to emails yet. So, I contacted the grad director. Hopefully I hear something about the funding back soon. Fingers crossed. I am deciding between Tulsa and  U. Louisiana. Still waiting on UT-El Paso to make a decision on my application.

Is there anyone who applied to Penn State? any news? If anyone who got an offer can you please share with your credentials to have an idea what they expect from potential applicant. Thanks

Speaking of funding, after emailing my POI at Tohoku University (where I was accepted but with no scholarship), he informed me of possible funding their department is putting up soon, and that I could apply for it!  Application is after confirmation of intent to enroll on March 31st, though, and there is still no guarantee (but supposedly those who have been accepted have priority).  But still, I'm psyched about the news, especially that I have not had any reply from my POI and the graduate program coordinator in UC Davis.

So yeah, don't hesitate to ask about funding, just ask nicely. :)

On the topic of funding: those who have offers should go to www.phdstipends.com

it's a site similar to TheGradCafe, only this one has details on stipend amounts at each school, and allows you to see how your financial offer compares to the living wage in a city. Making decisions is sometimes helped by knowing how far your money will go over 1-6+ years!

Washington's Oceanography department says they expect to make decisions by mid-March. There were a few rejections posted in early February and they had an open house weekend earlier this month. I still haven't heard anything. Would it be safe to say I've been wait listed?

Also, @CornUltimatum, was it you who posted the update from Arizona State earlier this week? If so, thanks.

Oh yeah, on March 21st!

I was hoping to get an idea of where I was - if I was on a waitlist and such. ASU is a school that I am quite interested in but I wasn't given much of an idea of where I stand. From what it sounds like they're still in their first wave or so? It wouldn't be too odd since first decision waves are coming out from other schools. 

4 hours ago, magnetite said:

Washington's Oceanography department says they expect to make decisions by mid-March. There were a few rejections posted in early February and they had an open house weekend earlier this month. I still haven't heard anything. Would it be safe to say I've been wait listed?

Also, @CornUltimatum, was it you who posted the update from Arizona State earlier this week? If so, thanks.

I've heard UW Oceanography open house was on either the first or second week of March. I got an invitation for visit after open house week and just heard back a few days ago. They told me that some programs (biological and physical or chemical oceanography? I don't remember exactly) accept students before they invite them for visits and others don't admit people until they send out invitations. 

13 hours ago, CornUltimatum said:

Oh yeah, on March 21st!

I was hoping to get an idea of where I was - if I was on a waitlist and such. ASU is a school that I am quite interested in but I wasn't given much of an idea of where I stand. From what it sounds like they're still in their first wave or so? It wouldn't be too odd since first decision waves are coming out from other schools. 

I got an offer from ASU a few weeks back but not an ideal location.... so declined lol

Got my first acceptance for M.S. in geology to do hydrogeology! :D I do not know if anyone else is waiting from Chico State...

My stats were posted on the 23rd of Feb if y'all care

Still waiting on SDSU, SFSU, and CSULA

Edited by GeoMasters2016

Has anyone studied/visited UL Lafayette? 

How good (or not) is their MS Geoscience program? I have received a tuition waiver (with a GTA) but will have to manage my own living expenses. 

I am waiting out on other universities but also have to let ULL know my decision by 15th April. I want to be absolutely clear before I say yes since it would mean I leave my current job which is frustrating but is already in one of the oil and gas super-majors.

I currently have a TA offer from the University of Nebraska and an RA offer from Tulsa. I am trying to make my decision between these two schools. Does anyone have any insight into either of these programs? Specifically, I am curious about industry connections, or lack thereof. Being located in Oklahoma, I imagine Tulsa gets some recruiters. However, it's a small school so probably not connected on the scale of Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, or the Texas schools.

UNL has offered me a higher stipend, but with Tulsa I have 12 month support available, if I cannot procure an internship. There are certainly advantages to each program. I have also spoken to and like both potential advisors and am interested in their research. The thought of having to turn down one of them is disappointing. I am currently leaning toward Nebraska, but I am looking for any advice or information that could provide clarity to my decision. Thanks.

2 hours ago, klippe said:

I currently have a TA offer from the University of Nebraska and an RA offer from Tulsa. I am trying to make my decision between these two schools. Does anyone have any insight into either of these programs? Specifically, I am curious about industry connections, or lack thereof. Being located in Oklahoma, I imagine Tulsa gets some recruiters. However, it's a small school so probably not connected on the scale of Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, or the Texas schools.

UNL has offered me a higher stipend, but with Tulsa I have 12 month support available, if I cannot procure an internship. There are certainly advantages to each program. I have also spoken to and like both potential advisors and am interested in their research. The thought of having to turn down one of them is disappointing. I am currently leaning toward Nebraska, but I am looking for any advice or information that could provide clarity to my decision. Thanks.

I'm not in O&G so I can't speak much to that. But if your goal is industry, an RA might be better - from experience, TA can be a time suck depending on your duties and if you're not doing academia, I'd hazard it's not as necessary. That 12 month back up support from Tulsa also sounds nice, too, in case things don't work out for summer placements (e.g. if this downturn continues).

Of course it's also 2 years of life, so you want to be happy, too: if UNL feels that much better, than just make it work for you. Welcome to the boat of "how many people will I disappoint if I decline?" :) Small consolation perhaps: lots of these people are friends and know they're fighting for the same students. Most should be understanding!

For anyone still waiting on CU Boulder, I saw this on the results page:

To the poster below! I emailed the admissions office for the Geoscience Department -- they apologized for how long it has been taking but assured me that applicants would hear back by "the beginning of Spring (April)" -- so let's hope that means in the next week! This waiting game is torture