2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

GeoDUDE!

On March 5, 2016 at 7:08 AM, columbia09 said:

I know but I got a TA offer from Oklahoma State ! So happy about that ? Anyone know anything about the school ?

Hot Damn! I didn't know they were giving out responses yet. My friend and I both applied there and were told word would be sent out sometime this week concerning results.

Anyways, the program there has a good recruitment reputation with industry, and they are well funded. I have a lot of friends that are doing grad school at my undergrad institution (texas tech) that adored the school in general. If there's an opportunity to visit, be sure to do so!

On 3/5/2016 at 7:08 AM, columbia09 said:

I know but I got a TA offer from Oklahoma State ! So happy about that ? Anyone know anything about the school ?

I know nothing of the department, but I've been to Stillwater several times. It's nice, albeit it in the middle of nowhere. :) 

Yay, I got into UAF with full funding!!!!

I honestly wasnt expecting to get in anywhere (I applied 2 years ago and got all rejections) and I wasnt having much luck with jobs so I decided to go back to school for a pa program and I also got in there.....now I have a major decision :unsure:

On 3/6/2016 at 1:26 PM, Tidus said:

Yeah, pretty sure all have gone out. They did all the visits in one weekend just now.

Hey congrats! Just wanted to ask if you were in contact with Dr. Bitz before applying to UW? I might have to apply again next year lol if I don't get into my choice of schools.

I got accepted into the University of Nebraska with a TA position and summer fellowship. Exciting times. Still waiting on Tulsa and New Mexico State, but I am not sure it even matters at this point. Sorta regretting not applying to some more prestigious schools...sorta.

19 minutes ago, Miner 49er said:

Hey congrats! Just wanted to ask if you were in contact with Dr. Bitz before applying to UW? I might have to apply again next year lol if I don't get into my choice of schools.

Thanks :)  Yeah, I sent a few e-mails to her and got replies back fairly quickly if I remember rightly. I suspect it helped my application a lot to do so.

@Tidus Thank you~ I am interested in ENSO and PDO. Polar climate seems like a very hot topic in the next few years. Professors doing this research have a lot of funding. There are great chances in polar climate, I should notice that and try to know more about it before my application. However, it's too late now.

10 hours ago, CornUltimatum said:

Hot Damn! I didn't know they were giving out responses yet. My friend and I both applied there and were told word would be sent out sometime this week concerning results.

Anyways, the program there has a good recruitment reputation with industry, and they are well funded. I have a lot of friends that are doing grad school at my undergrad institution (texas tech) that adored the school in general. If there's an opportunity to visit, be sure to do so!

I'm actually still waiting on Texas Tech but I highly doubt I'll get in since they already sent out their first wave. It doesn't matter I'm happy with Iowa and Oklahoma state. Now if SMU accepts me I'll be super happy ! 

8 hours ago, klippe said:

I got accepted into the University of Nebraska with a TA position and summer fellowship. Exciting times. Still waiting on Tulsa and New Mexico State, but I am not sure it even matters at this point. Sorta regretting not applying to some more prestigious schools...sorta.

Who did you apply to work with if I may ask ? I got in last year but with no funding, I'm still waiting to hear about a TA position 

@sheeppool Totally. You should accept your Purdue offer now. To hell with all the other programs since they obviously don't care enough to tell you anything one and half months before the deadline. To hell with all the application fees as well - ain't life too short for waiting.

Sorry about the trolling. My serious answer: No. Wait with patience.

3 hours ago, sheeppool said:

Received an offer from Purdue with TA funding. Other schools seem to have forgotten me. No interviews, no waitlists, nothing. Should I give up and just accept this one? 

Some of the schools I'm waiting on (SMU) still haven't sent anything out yet to anyone so I'm waiting patiently even though I have two offers. Just wait and see who accepts you then make a discision 

Have a PhD admit from UIUC NRES and a fully funded MS from UW SEFS. Will most probably choose the latter. No word yet on MIT EAPS or UC Davis Soils or Stanford EESS so I reckon I have already been rejected. Congratulations to all who got in!

11 hours ago, columbia09 said:

I'm actually still waiting on Texas Tech but I highly doubt I'll get in since they already sent out their first wave. It doesn't matter I'm happy with Iowa and Oklahoma state. Now if SMU accepts me I'll be super happy ! 

Yeah I'm not sure what is up with Texas Tech this year. Both me and my friend who did their undergraduate degrees there applied and haven't heard a word. The advisors we have, both have been really pitching to us to stay there (they're the ones who had us apply in the first place!). Yet, I'm fairly sure it's getting a bit late in the season and we haven't heard back yet. Recruitment events usually occur late February. 

I have gotten recruitment invitations to both University of Nevada at Reno and New Mexico Tech and visited both schools so I'm pretty content (I should really say excited) at this point with either of these options. Hopefully they officially admit me soon. :) 

Still congrats on Oklahoma State - that school is a top notch option! 

9 minutes ago, CornUltimatum said:

Yeah I'm not sure what is up with Texas Tech this year. Both me and my friend who did their undergraduate degrees there applied and haven't heard a word. The advisors we have, both have been really pitching to us to stay there (they're the ones who had us apply in the first place!). Yet, I'm fairly sure it's getting a bit late in the season and we haven't heard back yet. Recruitment events usually occur late February. 

I have gotten recruitment invitations to both University of Nevada at Reno and New Mexico Tech and visited both schools so I'm pretty content (I should really say excited) at this point with either of these options. Hopefully they officially admit me soon. :) 

Still congrats on Oklahoma State - that school is a top notch option! 

Thanks it might windup being my pick if none of my Texas schools admit me 

20 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

Did you hear back from UH too?

No question for you, did you submit official transcripts and your official GRE score report to the school? I sent scannned copies of everything because I wanted to save money on sending all those documents. It was my understanding that they can make a decision on your application and if admitted you can send in all the official stuff if you choose to attend 

1 minute ago, columbia09 said:

No question for you, did you submit official transcripts and your official GRE score report to the school? I sent scannned copies of everything because I wanted to save money on sending all those documents. It was my understanding that they can make a decision on your application and if admitted you can send in all the official stuff if you choose to attend 

IDK.... I sent in my official GRE score. And I emailed the grad coordinator and asked about "verify Bachelor's" on the application portal, and he said to send a copy of my official transcripts with my application. But I don't know if the official stuff was all required before hand. 

7 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

IDK.... I sent in my official GRE score. And I emailed the grad coordinator and asked about "verify Bachelor's" on the application portal, and he said to send a copy of my official transcripts with my application. But I don't know if the official stuff was all required before hand. 

Yea I didn't send anything official yet

18 hours ago, Yunix said:

@sheeppool Totally. You should accept your Purdue offer now. To hell with all the other programs since they obviously don't care enough to tell you anything one and half months before the deadline. To hell with all the application fees as well - ain't life too short for waiting.

Sorry about the trolling. My serious answer: No. Wait with patience.

Congrats on your Columbia one! Anyway, I do like Purdue so I guess I can stay IN ONE PIECE a little bit longer...