2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

GeoDUDE!

Today a professor at Arizona State emailed me to set up a phone interview to talk about my interests and experience. I didn't mention this professor in my SOP, but he's involved in some projects that look interesting, though not exactly what I've envisioned myself doing. Regardless, I'm pretty excited.

Do any of you have any knowledge about the time frame between hearing back from a program and their open house? I know from an acquaintance that UW ESS's invite-only open house is on 2/25, which being 2 weeks away seems like maybe some people should be hearing some things? He told me on Friday that he hasn't heard of anyone in the department sending out anything yet, so no panicking yet, but how long could they possibly wait before contacting potential students before the open house?

This has been a very inquisitive post with loads of question marks...

Since I attended UT is it reasonable to assume I wasn't invited to prospective student weekend because it would be unnecessary for me? I last talked to my POI in person 3 weeks ago and he said he wanted to work with me and that I should be admitted. However I haven't heard anything since then.

Bleh waiting is the worst part.  Ive been through this before (was accepted to one but it ended up as a horrible match between me and the poi, ended up not going) and I remember how long it took for my rejections to come thorough so naturally im already fearing the worst!

Well, I had my interview and it went well, I think. It didn't occur to me at the time to ask about what the next steps in the process would be. Is that something that's typically asked?

Also, for schools like Arizona State where admissions are "professor heavy" as mentioned earlier, would receiving an offer from one professor preclude other professors at the school from considering my application? And if the professor I interviewed with doesn't extend an offer, that wouldn't necessarily mean I'll be rejected from the program right?

2 hours ago, sjoh197 said:

Oh My God.... it's been a month. Please just change my application from "received." Just give me anything... even "under review". Anything.

If it makes you feel any better, I've been in at Wisco for a few weeks now, and I'm still "pending," and at Rice I've got both a letter both via email and via SNAIL MAIL, and the website still says "under review" hah :) 

haha....I would feel better if it wasn't complete radio silence over here. They typically don't respond until at least early march, but just some sign that they've even looked at my application would be nice lol.

2 hours ago, Yunix said:

Tomorrow could be the big day for WHOI/MIT. They seem to release acceptance on the second Friday. Tomorrow is the second Friday of the month... Good luck to those applied. 

Good luck to you too man!I'm looking forward to the reject B)

I was doing some creepin on one school I applied to, in the results section (Idaho State), and I notice half of the notifications are sent out by snail mail rather than by email! Do other schools prefer this method?

I also was hoping to get some word on possibly an interview or whatever around this time. I'm definitely a bit nervous as two of my favorite programs (Nevada - Reno, and ASU) are typically active at this time given their history. ASU has already sent out some acceptances, but since I haven't gotten a rejection notice, I suppose I'm not "out," yet. Nevada has so far been seemingly inactive... I check back here every day to see if someone got a note from them, but radio silence so far!

I was talking to a graduate student at my University earlier, and apparently all of their acceptances came in around late February - the last week of it or so. 

48 minutes ago, CornUltimatum said:

I also was hoping to get some word on possibly an interview or whatever around this time. I'm definitely a bit nervous as two of my favorite programs (Nevada - Reno, and ASU) are typically active at this time given their history. ASU has already sent out some acceptances, but since I haven't gotten a rejection notice, I suppose I'm not "out," yet. Nevada has so far been seemingly inactive... I check back here every day to see if someone got a note from them, but radio silence so far!

I don't Reno is typically active at this time. There's only one year where people heard early and it was an invite to a visit weekend. Most results seem to be early March. I did talk to my POI, he said the committee had ranked applications, I think it's now out to profs to review them and sort the order. That email was like 1.5 weeks ago? I imagine it takes ~2 (3?) weeks for review, another 1+ to pull up offers etc. Just speculating, but I find it at least reassuring to think that I shouldn't have heard anything yet (does this count as being in denial? :P )

@Miner 49er Did you receive an email from WHOI just now as well? The email about tax documents for SSF last year? It's just mean to receive it this time of the year! I almost got a heart attack thinking it's THE email! Nice job payroll!!

My Lehigh POI just emailed me with a financial aid offer as well as an invitation to fly out in March for the 'annual graduate student seminar.'  I am freaking out over here and I'm absolutely thrilled since the research I'd be working on IS SO FREAKING EXCITING!!!!!  The POI says everything will be made official next wednesday; I couldn't be more ecstatic!  

Sidenote: Everyone is super cool here, thanks for the kind words and support everyone!

3 hours ago, Yunix said:

Did you receive an email from WHOI just now as well? The email about tax documents for SSF last year? It's just mean to receive it this time of the year! I almost got a heart attack thinking it's THE email! Nice job payroll!!

ezgif.com-optimize.gif.7199286cc58111753

This is me. Every time. 

13 hours ago, DrZoidberg said:

ezgif.com-optimize.gif.7199286cc58111753

This is me. Every time. 

This is so epic!

16 hours ago, Yunix said:

@Miner 49er Did you receive an email from WHOI just now as well? The email about tax documents for SSF last year? It's just mean to receive it this time of the year! I almost got a heart attack thinking it's THE email! Nice job payroll!!

Yeah got the tax forms from payroll! Fingers crossed x x

1 hour ago, SickSlickensides said:

For those wondering, I was just told UW-Seattle PIs with guaranteed funding sent out their first round acceptances this week.  (Read: mostly glacier/climate people).  Offers will continue to roll out through April 14. 

So it's not over yet? One of my buddies got an offer from UW Atmospheric Sciences last week, and I was wondering if they had sent out all acceptance emails.