2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

GeoDUDE!

@GeoInsane @zerozircon  I also have that UT message, but I've had it since the first week of January.  Maybe it means the application has been reviewed by the committee?  My POI asked me to email him after I submitted my application, and the message timeline matches him getting back after winter break.  Radio silence over here, since someone posted on the admissions board that they're visiting in early Feb, I'm assuming my POI decided to pass on me.  

2 minutes ago, SickSlickensides said:

@GeoInsane @zerozircon  I also have that UT message, but I've had it since the first week of January.  Maybe it means the application has been reviewed by the committee?  My POI asked me to email him after I submitted my application, and the message timeline matches him getting back after winter break.  Radio silence over here, since someone posted on the admissions board that they're visiting in early Feb, I'm assuming my POI decided to pass on me.  

The only ones who have been admitted so far are fellowship winners. 10 out of 700 I think one of my pois stated. The rest are coming in February and rejections in late march. 

2 hours ago, SickSlickensides said:

They didn't have it last year, so maybe they had trouble with that and want to save time with students applying for one

For those worrying about UT I wouldn't worry too much. My POI at UT said he was going to accept me when I visited with them two weeks ago. He said he wasn't sure when official acceptances would go out, but he said that he would imagine around mid February.

1 hour ago, SickSlickensides said:

Yeah, im going to agree with everyone here regarding the UT message - we can only speculate haha

...time for another jog!  I totally recommend running to anyone compulsively refreshing their application status. :)

Since work loead is low I'm dividing my time with three courses to learn to program in python, I would actually like to take more on it and other languages but I can't handle them at the same time. I want to think it will come handy later

So I just had a weird thing happen: I got an email from a prof saying, "I know you didn't list me as your primary advisor of interest, but would you be interested in working on some research problems (tangentially related to your listed interests) with me? Your app drew my attention."

Does this mean I'm no longer being considered by my primary POI? Or is this just another interested prof? I would really like to get in to this school, but I also don't want to say "yes" and then try to switch labs to my initial POI once I'm there. (Is the latter generally frowned upon, btw, or does it happen?)

2 hours ago, gelologist said:

So I just had a weird thing happen: I got an email from a prof saying, "I know you didn't list me as your primary advisor of interest, but would you be interested in working on some research problems (tangentially related to your listed interests) with me? Your app drew my attention."

Does this mean I'm no longer being considered by my primary POI? Or is this just another interested prof? I would really like to get in to this school, but I also don't want to say "yes" and then try to switch labs to my initial POI once I'm there. (Is the latter generally frowned upon, btw, or does it happen?)

The same thing happened to me, and I was just admitted to the program but I will be co-advised by both of them.  Where is it?

In general- is this a normal thing to happen?

It is normal at the larger programs like LDEO and URI. At my program, it could also happen because there are a few people doing research in every area, but its less likely since contacting POIs ect is a big step in getting in.

I dont think it means that your other POI is not taking an interest in you. It just means that perhaps you have someone else you can work with there!

The things you are interested in working on now will not be the only things you will want to do research in the future. If you are a succesful scientist (graduate student) you will be able to think of many more research problems, even in areas slight different than yourself. If these people seem like some people you could work with, and you really like the program overall, you should respond thanking them for looking at your application and start asking them questions. But only do this if you think you could work with them. You might find that you like them better!

5 hours ago, zerozircon said:

The same thing happened to me, and I was just admitted to the program but I will be co-advised by both of them.  Where is it?

3 hours ago, GeoDUDE! said:

It is normal at the larger programs like LDEO and URI. At my program, it could also happen because there are a few people doing research in every area, but its less likely since contacting POIs ect is a big step in getting in.

I dont think it means that your other POI is not taking an interest in you. It just means that perhaps you have someone else you can work with there!

The things you are interested in working on now will not be the only things you will want to do research in the future. If you are a succesful scientist (graduate student) you will be able to think of many more research problems, even in areas slight different than yourself. If these people seem like some people you could work with, and you really like the program overall, you should respond thanking them for looking at your application and start asking them questions. But only do this if you think you could work with them. You might find that you like them better!

Thanks for the input, both, really! This is with UC Davis. I've heard this could happen at places like Lamont, just didn't think it would happen to me :P

Because the prof's (hereafter POI2) initial email was pretty vague, I went ahead and asked if this meant my application was no longer being considered by my POI, what projects POI2 had ongoing, and whether I could collaborate with POI. The reply from POI2 said that while I'm still being considered, I'm apparently not a first choice right now. POI2 also sent along some details on research, and said collaboration is possible, but it's unlikely I could pursue my stated interests because of the funding source ($$ would be from NASA for cosmic stuff, I applied for more igneous stuff).

The dilemma is that I really like the sound of the program, and I find this new avenue kinda intriguing, but I'm unsure whether to go for it. I have little to no experience in it and, though it's somewhat related to my current research**, it might entail a significant career shift to cosmochemistry from volcanic processes. Also, POI2 said "if you're interested, I'll admit you and have you visit," so I'm caught with the #firstworldproblem of either having a chance at admission for a different research direction, or waiting it out for my POI and possibly not getting in at all. Part of me says to go for it, but I'm also worried that if I don't like the work when I get there (e.g. after a first paper/master's size project), I don't know that I'd be able to move laterally within the dept (back to the first POI) to finish off. Anyway, thanks for any and all help guys! :) 

--

** @GeoDUDE!: I'm already, I think, pretty aware of broader research topics, not even in my area; my current master's has helped with that. So the dilemma arises already knowing the utility of POI2's research directions and how it's all related, it's more being shut out in the future from my current interests that unnerves me.

Undergrad Institution: Appalachian State University
Major(s): Quantiative Geoscience
Minor(s): Math
GPA in Major: 3.3
Overall GPA: 3.45
Position in Class: N/A
Type of Student: Domestic, male, veteran

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 160
V: 163
W: 3.5

TOEFL Total: N/A
Research Experience: 1.5 years as a research assistant doing stable isotope Geochemical analysis on the Devonian rock record of western China and identifying excursions of trace elements associated with ocean anoxic mass extinction events

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Chancellor's list x 2 
Honor Graduate from Defense Language Institute, Monterey, CA

Letters of Recommendation/Appreciation from the commanders of Navy Seals and Army Special Operations in Eastern Afghanistan (2011-2013)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 1.5 years as a TA teaching and assisting in introductory Geology labs
6 months working as a museum curator at the McKinney Geology Teaching Museum.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Completed undergraduate degree in 3 years
President of local Chapter of the Student Veterans of America and activist for veterans issues on campus
Member of Appalachian State's Military Affairs Committee, board which deals with student veteran issues, recruitment, and retention

Special Bonus Points: Veteran's are considered an underrepresented minority at universities and in STEM fields

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I speak French, Korean and German
I am a first generation college student
Coursework and experience in Geophysics, Geochemistry, Hydrogeology, GIS, and writing code in MATLAB
10 years of experiences as an intelligence analyst in the US Army and for the private company BAE Systems

Applying to Where:

Virginia Tech - Geoscience - Hydrogeology, PhD
Tennessee - Geology - Hydrogeology, MS
Alabama - Geology - Hydrogeology and Geochemistry, MS
WVU - Geology - Hydrogeology and Geochemistry, MS
UNLV - Geology - Hydrogeology and Geochemistry, MS

Results:
Virginia Tech- Accepted PhD with full support, NSF funded project, joint project between VT and University of Rennes, start F16 or S16 (1st Choice)

On 1/30/2016 at 10:29 AM, gelologist said:

That is how I was contacted by my current adviser.  Everyone in a department usually gets to see your application, and they will contact you if they feel you are a good fit for their group regardless of what you have listed as your interests.  This does not mean anything other than that particular person is interested in you as a student.

Its a good thing!

8 hours ago, CC2014 said:

That is how I was contacted by my current adviser.  Everyone in a department usually gets to see your application, and they will contact you if they feel you are a good fit for their group regardless of what you have listed as your interests.  This does not mean anything other than that particular person is interested in you as a student.

Its a good thing!

Thanks for the insight!

To resolve this, yeah it wasn't a "bad" thing. I contacted my first POI and they said I'd likely be waitlisted if I held out for them. They had actually encouraged the second POI to talk to me; I've since expressed some interest in their work (it's hard to say I'd commit since it's a decent departure from what I currently do in the MS program hah) and we'll see how it plays out! Worst case I don't get in either way, otherwise, I guess if I'm in, I'll hopefully visit and get to see more of their work and if the new direction is something I'm going to do.

Saw Princeton, UO and UT get posted! Also, any results yet from UCSB? Saw an interview a while back.

Edited by gelologist

@gelologist

Not that I'm saying it's encouraged, but a friend just passed their Masters defense in hydrogeology and she originally started her MS in meteoritics.  So it's definitely possible to switch after being admitted.  Although, in her case, she had to switch because her adviser was pretty terrible. 

1 hour ago, geographyrocks said:

@gelologist

Not that I'm saying it's encouraged, but a friend just passed their Masters defense in hydrogeology and she originally started her MS in meteoritics.  So it's definitely possible to switch after being admitted.  Although, in her case, she had to switch because her adviser was pretty terrible. 

Thanks for this! Yeah just because my background in this person's field is slim, I'm afraid I'd go and ultimately be less interested than I am now. I've just been making sure there's an exit plan if that happens; obviously, I wouldn't accept any offer unless I genuinely thought I was okay staying with them through the whole PhD. Will keep everyone posted what happens!

Edited by gelologist

32 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

@GeoMex

I saw that.... good for them :) It's still been awfully slow here for geology info. Maybe I'm just agonizing because I know I have another month before I hear anything lol. 

Yeah, I suppose results will start showing more and more in the next 2 weeks to one month. But aso, I think there's less users this year than past years

1 hour ago, GeoMex said:

Yeah, I suppose results will start showing more and more in the next 2 weeks to one month. But aso, I think there's less users this year than past years

Do you know if anyone else heard anything from UT ? I know the ones that got admitted were fellowship winners 

52 minutes ago, columbia09 said:

Do you know if anyone else heard anything from UT ? I know the ones that got admitted were fellowship winners 

Well no, not really, just what I read here. And last year my notification came on February 9. And most of them came from mid-february to mid-march

16 minutes ago, GeoMex said:

Well no, not really, just what I read here. And last year my notification came on February 9. And most of them came from mid-february to mid-march

That was an acceptance ? My rejection last year came around late March 

1 hour ago, columbia09 said:

That was an acceptance ? My rejection last year came around late March 

Yes, I was accepted last year, but had issues with my external funding then, which I won't have now, but now maybe they won't accept me :( FML